PDA

View Full Version : Limbsaver pads... good to know...

lovedogs
04-11-2007, 01:47 PM
My 1894 Cowboy .44 mag doesn't kick bad at all but since having shoulder surgery several years ago I'm recoil sensitive. And being long-armed and well over 6 ft. tall the factory Marlin stock was a bit short so I thought I'd see if Limbsaver had one of their excellent Precision Fit pads to fit Marlins. They don't list anything for this model so I went to their web site and got their phone number. It's 1-877-257-2761. They were real nice to talk with and helpful, too. The 1894 Cowboys will accept their #10112 pad perfectly with no modification and I bet it'll fit other Marlins, too. If you have your stock measurements they are real helpful people and good to do business with. Their grind-to-fit pads are a PITA to grind but worth it if you have a kicker. They'll even send you free spacers if you need them.

Ranch Dog
04-11-2007, 03:17 PM
Most of my my Marlins have the LimbSaver grind-to-fit pads on them. It makes the heaviest loads from my big bores easy to shoot

Four Fingers of Death
04-11-2007, 07:39 PM
I've been looking at those, they look realllllllllllll good. Do they snag on clothing or are they a bit slippery? I was toying with putting them on all of the kicking type rifles that I use regularly for hunting. I am right into lever guns and military rifles, but also a bolt gun affondicio and am starting to get back into magnummmmmms!

lovedogs
04-12-2007, 09:17 PM
4finger... they're a bit sticky. I've tried to develop a habit of when I shoulder a rifle I sort of thrust it out in front of me then pull it back into the pocket. This eliminates any sticky pad problem. I've learned to do this due to the length of my guns and the way I get on them. I'm tall and long-necked and a stock crawler so I need my stocks long or I don't "weld" easily. I also use an assortment of rifles and in winter have to dress heavily... so I've learned this thrust & pull method of mounting. There are also some things you can apply to a pad to make it mount smoother. I think you can find some in a Brownell's catalog. Since the development of Limbsavers and Decelerators I don't know why anyone would use anything else. BTW... has anyone tried that suggestion by Limbsaver... to spray WD40 on the belt grinder to grind their grind-to-fit pads? How much do you apply? And how does it work?

randy merta
04-13-2007, 10:58 AM
I just put a decelerator pad on my 1886 TD in 45-70. The stock was cut off and a small piece of deer horn was placed into the void left by removing the stock steel plate. It turned out real nice and I will post pics of it when I find my digital camera. The pad tamed the full loads nicely. I was advised against cutting the original stock but its my gun and I really like this recoil pad. My next project for this gun it to put a tang site on it. Randy

Four Fingers of Death
04-13-2007, 07:21 PM
Classic shotgun mount lovedogs.

Troggy92
04-14-2007, 11:53 AM
I have the Limb Saver on my Marlin 35rem. I got it to make the stock fit me better but it is true it helps felt recoil better than alotta other pads IMO. Real nice to sholder too.

Nardoo
04-15-2007, 07:55 AM
I have Limbsavers on a 338WM, a 375H&H and a Ruger #1 45/70. They are very forgiving and kind on the shoulder.

I had one go very sticky and fixed it by sanding with my orbital sander then applying CRC silicone spray. It is a little slicker now and does not catch when you mount the rifle.

Nardoo

hivoltfl
04-15-2007, 08:36 AM
I give limbsaver pads a two thumbs up, I have the jig to grind them with and the belt sander, I messed the first one up, tried doin it without the jig, now I fit them for friends that want them.

Rick