PDA

View Full Version : Cherry cut mold variance.

Mk42gunner
05-01-2012, 05:39 PM
I though of a question yesterday, and thought someone here probably knows the answer.

Since we all pretty much know how Ideal/ Lyman molds have varied over time in either lube groove design or overall dimensions; are there any other mold makers that let their designs vary so much, and still use the same mold designation?

There are a lot of different examples I can think of: 225415, 225438, most any Kieth bullet, especially the hollow points.

Just curious,

Robert

JeffinNZ
05-01-2012, 06:18 PM
Is it a factor of volume? The high the output of the company the more wear on the cherries, the more they are replaced. Smaller operators will have cherries forever.

Catshooter
05-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Well, you have to remember that nobody has been doing it as long as Lyman either. Not even close.

Cat

Mk42gunner
05-01-2012, 06:49 PM
Good points guys. I just don't remember hearing about having to be careful of anyother makers molds, as to which version of a mold to buy or stay away from.

I had thought of how long Lyman has been in business, but I have seen pictures posted here of a lineup of several 452(or 4) 424. Also the 358429, some will fit in a GP-100, some won't.

Robert

JeffinNZ
05-01-2012, 10:10 PM
I once asked Jim from CBE how long a cherry lasts him. He said he only replaces them if they become damaged. IE: they last a lifetime. That said Jim's volumes are a lot less than Lyman and he cuts only brass and not steel.

W.R.Buchanan
05-01-2012, 11:34 PM
I was told by the head duck at RCBS that a cherry lasts thru 40-45 moulds.

As they use them they wear down and produce smaller holes.

Thus, if you get a mould made at the beginning of a run it will produce larger boolits than one made towards the end of said run.

That is used in 12L14 which is leaded free machining steel.

IN brass or alumium the life would be alot longer but they will eventually wear out even in those softer materials.

Some use undersized cherry style cuttters and then circular interpolate the hole. This allows you to adjust the dia of the hole, however you can't adjust the individual features of the boolit as they are ground into the cutter. Only the Overall size can be changed. There was a recent 311299 mould run done. 314299's, and 316299s were done with the same cutter. The larger sizes were actually 314302 and 316304.

Randy

JeffinNZ
05-02-2012, 12:45 AM
Thus, if you get a mould made at the beginning of a run it will produce larger boolits than one made towards the end of said run.

Same for military rifle barrels. If you want a good, tight barrel on a Lee Enfield you want the last one they cut with that tool.