PDA

View Full Version : question about heat treating

lead chucker
05-01-2012, 05:32 PM
When heat treating bullets just the exterior of the bullet gets hard right. when air cooled does the bullet get the same hardness all the way through?

Pat I.
05-01-2012, 07:37 PM
When heat treating the bullets get hard all the way through. You'd have to case harden for just the exterior to get hard and if there's a way to do it I sure haven't found it. When air cooled it's the same hardness through and through too.

JeffinNZ
05-01-2012, 10:25 PM
I agree with Pat. I have heat treated boolits, filed them down to mid way and tested to find they are the same in the middle as the outer surface.

lead chucker
05-02-2012, 12:16 AM
Thanks for the replies, a guy learns a lot here.

MtGun44
05-02-2012, 12:45 AM
JefF,

Thanks for that report. I had a pretty strong OPINION that this would be the case - but since
I had never actually tested it, or heard directly from someone that has, I made no comment.

Now - I have learned another fact about casting and heat treating.

Thank you, sir.

Bill

Char-Gar
05-02-2012, 12:38 PM
Some years back I tested a bunch of air cooled and heat treated bullets of different alloys. for age hardening. I measured them every week until they have achieved max hardness. When I was done I filed the noses way down and retested.

My results were the same as Pat's and Jeff's. Same hardness way down in the bullets as it was on the surface.

MBTcustom
05-02-2012, 12:47 PM
MTgun44 took the words right out of my mouth. I am not so surprised that somebody performed this test and documented it thoroughly, as I am that it took less than 7 hours for several of those persons to read and reply to the question with their experience. All I can say is that we have the right people reading these forums!