PDA

View Full Version : Ruger security six

emptyhead
07-03-2005, 08:09 PM
I am picking up one at my local gun shop used and was wondering if any of you guys have had any experience with one.How are they compared to the gp and blackhawk/redhawk line as far as strength.The gun shoots really good.It's in 357.

Bullshop
07-03-2005, 11:04 PM
You got a nice revolver in the Ruger S-6 and you need'nt worry about strength. I personaly much prefer a gun with a grip frame like the s-6 or RH. I believe the RH was nothing more than a scaled up s-6. The SRH and GP line are likely cheeper to make due to the absence of a grip frame and use of a round barrel. I dont much care for the grip stud araingment of the SRH or GP and I detest rubber grips. Long ago I found that in my hands at least the rubber grip on a Freedom Arms 454 was flexing allowing the gun to turn inside the grip and my accuracy was poor. After much frustration I sent it to F.A. and had them put thier premier grade grips on it and all was well with the world there after. The s-6 is a great little gun and for whatever reason is usualy one of the cheapest on the used market. At some point John Q. will realise this and they will go out of sight so its a good thing you got one now.
BIC/BS

Shepherd2
07-04-2005, 07:24 AM
I have a Security Six that I bought new many years ago. It's had 1000s of moderate to heavy powered reloads shot thru it and is still good and tight. I slicked up the action a little after I got it and replaced the factory grips with wooden Hogues. All the shooting has made for a very smooth DA pull. The S6 has all the strength you need in a .357 and IMO is a better revolver than the GP100.

emptyhead
07-04-2005, 08:55 AM
Thanks Guys

Willbird
07-04-2005, 09:04 AM
I emailed Paco Kelly and asked him his opinion on sec-6 strength comapred to model 19, he felt it was way stronger, maybe nearly as strong as an N frame.

they are easy to field strip, I did mine yesterday, I think on any revolver it is important to keep the cyl nice and free and oiled on the crane so you don't wear the hand excessively.

Mine is an old old 4" from when they first came out, I had it re-worked to round butt and slicked by a good revolver man, I love it.

I can't think of a nicer 6 shot 357 to have, 586/686 are nice, but a bigger gun.

Bill

45nut
07-04-2005, 10:35 AM
I picked up a very nice Speed Six about a month ago,stellar condition,all original . It was on a peg hanging on the back wall of a gunshop with a price tag of $165.00 ! I did NOT dicker,just paid the man and brought it home. Sweet trigger in either mode,3" barrel and as mentioned ,,6 rounds of 357 magnum. I am very happy with it,looks to have been a bed-side drawer piece for lo' so many years. I much prefer the 6 shooter 's over such pieces as a lil 5 shot revolver. I own a little Colt Detective special that I take along on a lot of trips,but this Ruger will be replacing the Colt on most trips now.

BCB
07-04-2005, 05:00 PM
I purchased a stainless model shortly after they arrived on the market. It was used, but one could never have know that from the condition. The wooden grips were much to small for my hands, so I replaced them with Pachmayr rubber grips.
Back then I did reload ammo, but not the cast boolit type. It shot extremely well with Hornady 158 grainers and the cheap Remington 158 grain HP's purchased in bulk.
As time went by, I replaced the original springs with Wolff springs. That was like night and day. It is now a smooth double action handgun. Those Wolff springs are great. (I put them in my Ruger SRH also)
I now cast my own slugs and it gets feed a diet of 358429's...PERIOD. I use AL-8, WC-680, WC-820, and WW-230 to keep the bullets running between 1050 and 1125 fps. I use H-110 to achieve 1247 fps from the 170 grain slugs. All of these loads are amazingly accurate.
It is one of my favorite, if not the most favorite, handgun I own...BCB

9.3X62AL
07-05-2005, 08:54 AM
The Security Six is a VERY fine revolver, every bit as strong as an N-frame S&W--maybe stronger, due to the receiver's two-sidewall construction as opposed to the Colt/S&W open sidewall/sideplate design. These wheelers benefit greatly from the Wolff spring kits, probably more so than the S&W rollers do. Before my agency adopted autopistols in 1987, the Ruger D/A 38/357's were authorized for duty use. One of the less enlightened moves made at the time of the autopistol addition was to delete the Ruger revolvers from our list of authorized sidearms.

Bret4207
07-05-2005, 06:59 PM
One of the better Ruger products to have been produced. Not as pretty as a Smith, but way stronger and usually, USUALLY, a very accurate piece too.