PDA

View Full Version : Generic Unique Load for Slugs?

webbertelli
05-01-2012, 06:56 AM
Good afternoon from London. I am looking to load some 12g slugs either usng the lyman forster slug or the Lee 7/8 or 1 oz slugs. The problem I have with most of the available load data is that the case and wad combination usually relates to components available only in the US. I have ordered some Cheddite cases and some B&P cases which I believe are made by Fiocchi. I am intending to use one piece plastic cup wads from a company in the UK and over powder cards to adjust the wad column to enable me to get a good roll crimp. Alliant powders such as Unique and Blue Dot are the most readily available in the UK and I am after some starting loads using these powders. I have seen a thread on here where the poster suggested a load of 23grains of Unique for a velocity of 1200FPS with a 1oz slug. The loaded rounds will be fired through an Ithaca 37 Deerslayer and are solely for competition target use. I have been relaoding metallic rifle and pistol cartridges for years and the load data is much easier to come by as the case capacity doesnt vary as it does with a shotgun case/wad combination. I'm after a reasonable generic starting point load using Unique and Blue Dot so that I can start working up accurate loads without generating excessive pressure. Any suggestions and thank you for taking the time to read this.

Four-Sixty
05-01-2012, 07:02 AM
I just tried 22 grains of Unique with the 1oz. Lee slugs this past weekend. They shot about 3-4 inches high suggesting to me they were running a little slow out the barrel. I will try 23 grains of Unique next. At 22 grains, the recoil was nothing.

webbertelli
05-01-2012, 07:08 AM
I have just found another post which suggested a generic load of 35 grains of Blue Dot which sounds reasonable. I would value your opinions.

Four-Sixty
05-03-2012, 10:56 AM
Have you considered Hogdon Clays? I've used loads with 18 grains and get good results. Recoil is not bad at all. I am going to try 19 grains soon. You would be using about %50 of the Blue Dot by weight, which would be more shots per pound of powder to!

missionary5155
05-03-2012, 11:42 AM
Good morning
If you are looking for higher velocities use Blue Dot. You can run Unique to about 30 grains without worries. Once you get farther alon Unique has a habit of producing vicious pressure skipes without any warning. It can happen with as little as 3 tenths of a grain. So this is my slug or round ball procedure. If 28 grains Unique will not do it then I switch to a slower safer high velocity powder. Blue Dot is a good one.
Mike in Peru

jkpq45
05-18-2012, 12:39 PM
I posted that I tried 16-18 grains unique under a claybuster white (waa12?) wad last weekend.

Impact was 6-8 inches high--certainly a good starting point and economical, too.

Use at your own risk....