PDA

View Full Version : Straight wall case length & Lee Factory Crimp

Racingsnake
05-01-2012, 06:51 AM
Hi guys,

I sort my 38 Special brass by head stamp but have never trimmed for length.

Recently I have had a couple of inconsistancies with seating depth.

I'm not shotting any form of competiton where pin point accuracy is required but I do think consistancy is a good thing when reloading.

Does the Lee Factory Crimp die resolve any potential issues in this regard or should I trim?

Regards, Racingsnake

05-01-2012, 07:05 AM
Granted, .38's and other pistol cartridges rarely need trimming after use, however they do "grow" from use and to be safe and consistent, trim them once in awhile. Mostly depends on the power sought from each loading. Light loads last a very long time. Trim your brass and you'll get more consistent loads. Use of the Lee Factory Crimp gives a great crimp and will lend itself to more consistent ammo. Your seating die, when properly set, will also give a great crimp.

Pepe Ray
05-01-2012, 02:04 PM
The original Lee FCD for hand guns has been a bone of contention for some time.
There is a long learning curve.
Fortunately Lee has devised a FCD for the most popular hand gun ctgs. based on the FCD's designed for bottle neck ctgs. (Rifles , collet dies)
I'm not sure if you can get them directly from Lee or if you must order them from Ranch Dog.
Read up on them before you order.
Pepe Ray

MtGun44
05-01-2012, 08:38 PM
Collet type rifle (and some are made for Ranch Dog for pistols) are wonderful
devices. The Lee pistol FCD is, at least, controversial. It has a carbide sizing
ring and a taper crimp at the top. They sometimes size down the boolit in
the case and ruin the round.

IMO, buy an ordinary taper crimp die or the Lee rifle FCD or one of RD's special
rifle type pistol FCDs. Avoid the Lee pistol type FCD, it is a solution looking for
a problem.

Bill

Racingsnake
05-02-2012, 03:20 AM
Bill, what type of crimp will the Ranch Dog die provide - roll or taper? Will it do anything better than a standard seating / crimp die?

I've contacted RD to see if their 357magnum die will work for 38 special.

Nick

r1kk1
05-02-2012, 08:46 AM
Maybe I'm missing something here but I don't understand how brass length determines cartridge overall length. I would clean the bullet seater. Take it apart and clean it. If your still getting varying lengths, check bullet weights. I think the problem lies within those two things. RD says his will work on 357 not 38 special. The same for his 44 mag.

take care,

r1kk1

Iron Mike Golf
05-02-2012, 10:16 AM
r1kk1,

The OP said "seating depth", not COL. I bet what he's talking about is that some of his brass is a good bit longer or shorter than the rest, so the cannelure is ot in the right position for a good roll crimp.

You're right, that won't change COL.

Racingsnake
05-02-2012, 02:05 PM
Iron Mike's correct - I'm concerned about consistent seating depth and correct alignment with the crimp grove.

I got a reply from Michael at Ranch Dog and he's a really nice guy. Unfortunately they don't have a 38 special collect type die.

I'm just going to get a separate seating die and using it for crimping only -

Any suggestions on best make of die for this particulat function?