PDA

View Full Version : Swaging airgun Boolits

oldgoat3
05-01-2012, 04:46 AM
Hi guys; new member here.

I got the pre charged pneumatic airgun bug about 3 years ago. About 1 ½ years ago, I wanted to try a 22 rimfire barrel on my airgun. I couldn’t find a supply of lead bullets to fit it and I shelved the idea.

Another airgunner has had some success with shooting a cast .250 cal 57 grain bullet that he casts out of a LBT mold. That guy has been casting for over 30 years. He got me started thinking about trying bullets in airguns again. I know nothing about casting and I was apprehensive about the expense and learning curve.

It seemed that swaging the slugs was the way to go for me.

I have a Hart .224 barrel and a .250 barrel on order. I can fit the barrels to my Edgun Matador long version 25 cal. It has the power to shoot 35-45 grain pellets at around 900 fps. I want dies that will make bullets that will be slightly larger than the bore and have a full grove engaging rear driving band. The bullets will have a ½ or ¾ ogive nose and a flat base.

I have talked to RCE and Corbin about buying a full setup. RCE currently has a 6 month wait for the dies, Corbin is around 2 years!

I think that I am going to go with the Sea Girt press and all of the other needed stuff from RCE.

Any suggestion as to where I could get quality dies sooner?

Thanks in advance,
oldgoat

trevj
05-01-2012, 12:57 PM
You should have looked for a source before you spent any money on barrels.

Really, if you want faster than the two you talked to, buy a lathe and learn to use it.

You might get lucky with a Want To Buy ad on a couple of the airgun forums.

But if RCE will actually stick to the 6 months estimate, your best bet is to get the money on the table and the waiting will start.

Best of luck. Sounds like you're gonna need it.

Cheers
Trev

clodhopper
05-01-2012, 05:02 PM
oldgoat,
Welcome to the forum.
I might have something you could use,
I purchased some swaging stuff from an estate.
The old gentleman was making axulirary cartridges for centerfire rifles.
They fired .22lr.
Then swaging little lead "caps" the base was swaged to fit over the .22 bullet and diameter was sized to fit the bore.
One die and set of punches of several I have is .257.

oldgoat3
05-02-2012, 05:44 AM
Hey Trev, thanks for the help; I think!

I work in the maintenance department at a local plant. At work, I have full access to the tool and die shop. I can run most of the equipment there; the 4 axis CNC mill and the EDM wire burner are currently above my skill level. The maintenance shop just has a lathe, mill and surface grinder. The powers that be WOULD NOT like me making dies for “boolits” there!

I have wanted to do this for a couple of years. Ordering the barrels is a start. I hate not having a clue about something that I am interested in! I have spent a LOT of time on the Corbin website and here also. I think that I know what I need.

I was just asking if anybody knew where I could get dies for my simple needs sooner than the 6 month wait that RCE has.

trevj
05-04-2012, 08:48 PM
For a basic (really basic) die shape, for a bullet of pure or near pure lead, you should be well within your experience limits to make a fully functional set of dies in the shape you described.

You are miles ahead of most of the guys that think a cordless hand drill is pretty high technology, anyways.

You can play around with die designs and punch shapes on paper and get a Loooonnngggg way ahead of the curve, just by having some experience in a machine shop to draw upon.

Dig around here and see if you can find the download of a PDF file on swage die making and design. Since you are looking to swage just a slug, rather than swaging a core then seating it, then shaping the nose, you are pretty much working with the basics of a core swaging die, with some modifications for the step in size for the sealing ring in the back end.

I don't see it as too far of a stretch, to see a workable die being made of un-hardened material, and a selection of nose and base punches made of drill rod or punch blanks, should not be tough to do either.

You need a lathe of your own, eh! :)

But if you work out the details, and can get some lunchtime access to the machine tools, this stuff isn't brain surgery. But if you want someone else to do it...

RCE is the fast guy in the industry, as far as the established types go.
You might consider talking to BT Sniper to see what he can do for you.

Cheers
Trev