PDA

View Full Version : Need a smelter fix

Tristan
04-30-2012, 09:42 PM
I got a Lyman 61 pot a while back. Second time using it, it stopped heating.

Took the face off and it appears it was 'fixed' before - with a single wire being about 1/4 the size of the original. Of course, it burned out...

Where can I get some wire that is heat insulated and the correct type of crimp on ends to work in this environment? I tried at a local Ace hardware, and their crimp ends were only rated to 70d. C (iirc) and no wire insulated for protection against heat. Looks like 6" of wire and 2 ends would do it; 12" and 4 ends would be enough to replace both wires.

Thanks,

Tristan

darkroommike
04-30-2012, 11:51 PM
Your looking for single conductor appliance wire, the stuff they used to sell was asbestos insulated(!) but check with someplace like Grainger Supply or someplace that repairs appliances. Or cannibalize an old coffee maker, crock pot, etc.

Tristan
05-01-2012, 10:29 AM
Your looking for single conductor appliance wire, the stuff they used to sell was asbestos insulated(!) but check with someplace like Grainger Supply or someplace that repairs appliances. Or cannibalize an old coffee maker, crock pot, etc.

Brilliant. Why didn't I think of that?

Just needs to be thick enough... The 'fix' done before was about the thickness of telephone wire and obviously wasn't up to the task.

Anyone know what type of crimp on connectors I should be looking for?

Thanks,

Tristan

obssd1958
05-01-2012, 11:06 AM
Tristan,
The parts you are looking for can both be found at your local appliance parts store. The one we have here, is W. L. May. They will have hi-temp, single conductor insulated wire and stainless hi-temp crimp on connectors. We used them to repair stove top burner wiring.

Don

mdi
05-01-2012, 12:58 PM
FWIW, I'm familiar with a wire like you describe used as a "fusable link". Used a lot in automotive applications in place of a fuse. Often look like a "Mickey Mouse repair". Mebbe a problem further down the line?

old cobra
05-02-2012, 11:27 AM
Check local yellow pages for pottery or ceramics shops electric kilns use the same wire.

JIMinPHX
05-03-2012, 09:08 PM
There is a high temperature version of electrical tape that is called "glass cloth tape". Scotch makes a real good version of it. It's good stuff for keeping hot wires from turning into short circuits.