PDA

View Full Version : Birdshot goin up

Jamesconn
04-30-2012, 06:38 PM
I am gonna get a MP18 soon I can't afford anything else and a single shot break action is supposed to help you to learn accuracy. I found all the equipment and components I need molds for buck, ball, slug, but you can't cast birdshot and I'll probably be shooting it the most.

Does anybody on this site sell shot from their shotmaker?

I am going to aquire a large quantity of 20ga hulls this summer or I can pay cash.

Birdshot is expensive and no place within two hours of me sells it.

04-30-2012, 07:28 PM
Jamesconn, I don't know where you are getting advice but it is good advice and you are certainly listening and doing a good job learning this stuff! And a 20 ga break open is a fine choice.

I grew up on a small farm in a rural area. At age 9 I found my first shotgun out near our back fence. An old break open, hammer type Hopkins & Allen 16 ga from the 1910s-20s. A little rusted and beat up, but it worked. Even had a somewhat pitted bore. I didn't reload nor did anyone I knew. Just saved up enough to buy a box of cheapest shells I could find now and then- usually 6s or 8s. During bird season (doves usually but sometimes ducks) I'd put two or three shells in my pocket and head out back after school. That meant careful shooting- had to make those shells last. I got very good with that old shotgun and it and those circumstances are probably the reason that even today, almost 60 years later, I'm a fair to middlin wing shot.

Ole
04-30-2012, 09:33 PM
Have you tried reclaimed lead shot?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu_EhWmzTlQ

Jamesconn
05-10-2012, 04:15 PM
Not yet I haven't started reloading shotshell yet. I'm gathering materials, I'd prefer to get new shot I want to get every size of shot that's made that I can't cast but I'll get bags and bags of 7.5 or 8 what's better for skeet?

05-10-2012, 05:16 PM
Not yet I haven't started reloading shotshell yet. I'm gathering materials, I'd prefer to get new shot I want to get every size of shot that's made that I can't cast but I'll get bags and bags of 7.5 or 8 what's better for skeet?

Good plan. For just shooting- reclaimed shot is OK. Even though it's been screened/sifted (kinda sorted) and washed there will be a lot of so-so quality pellets and some unwanted debris in it. If you are thinking of shooting clay birds pitched with a hand trap or the like, either 7 1/2 or 8 will be fine. For regular trap shooting from standard set up some prefer size 7 1/2. For skeet, which is a different game with low and high house crossing, fast and closer shots most prefer size 8 or even 9.