PDA

View Full Version : Savage 9.3x62 Euro model & cast boolits

Mr Humble
04-30-2012, 11:19 AM
This is the Savage 116 Euro. It was made in 8x57 and 9.3x62. There were built to conform with some European countries rules on safety due to the popularity of driving game to shooters. They were intended only for "export" but a few "leaked" into the US market. As made only the stock was orange camo. I figured what the heck, if it's gonna be orange , it's gonna be orange so I bought a dip kit from Hydragraphics. It is a different "brand" of camo dip than the stock, hence the slightly different color. My only critique of the rifle is that Savage (according to them) uses the same follower spring for all their detachable magazine 30-06 length actions. As the action is a push feed, each round must be "popped up" to feed. In the 9.3x62, with a much heavier cartridge than say a 25-06 or 270, when the magazine spring is extended to push out the third round, it lacks enough power to raise the round and it tips and jams. Stretching the spring a bit has made it 50% reliable for magazine round three. The cure would be a stronger spring, but for now it's a failsafe three round rifle. You may note I used an inexpensive 2-7 Simmons on it as it was my first try at dipping. As with all Simmons I have ever used, they are an excellent value, never had one fail and IMO as good as many scopes cost 3X as much. They will also focus down to 25 yards as many non AO scope will not. I have only shot it @ 25 yards with the aformentioned cast boolits (bought from a member here) and 10 gr of Trail Boss. (all we have here is an indoor range). Loaded up 20 and shot them at the range yesterday (off hand).
It works.:-)

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z377/rocketcity1/0e4c02dd.jpg

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z377/rocketcity1/960159fb.jpg

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z377/rocketcity1/f151bdf6.jpg

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z377/rocketcity1/462a4a12.jpg

shredder
04-30-2012, 11:45 AM
Oh My!......... Nice shooter but you may want to enter that rifle in the next ugly rifle contest you see. Seriously though, That is one mean hunting machine. The calibers mentioned and the handy aspect of the design results in a rifle I would be glad to own though I think I would repaint in a much less eye catching color! 9.3 is all you will ever need until the big 5 are on the menu and even then if laws allow you will do fine.

bowfin
04-30-2012, 11:45 AM
I have seen this particular model listed on Gunbroker, and I really like it.

As soon as the stimulus money trickles down to my level, I will certainly consider buying one.

By the way, Savage made some of these rifles in 8mm Mauser as well...has anybody seen one with the blaze orange camo stock for sale???

Mr Humble
04-30-2012, 08:24 PM
There were some on Gunbroker.

9.3X62AL
04-30-2012, 10:41 PM
Two excellent game chamberings. I wonder if Savage could be prompted to produce these variants minus the electric stockwork and that excreble orange front sight.

bowfin
05-01-2012, 11:16 AM
I agree with the fiber optic front sight, but I like the orange stock. It will stick out on the gun rack so you know what you're looking at right away.

I would like to find an 8x57 with an orange stock.

Mr Humble
05-19-2012, 11:38 AM
Actually the irons are fine. Whomever designed them at Savage must have looked at a few UK DGR rifles with their "pop up" ivory night front bead. The sights are quick to acquire and show up well in low light conditions. This is no sub MOA iron sight rig for 1000 yard shooting. It is to get on something that fights back, that is coming like a train and can kill you.
The only mods I have planned a are a drop of super glue on the red rod as they can be knocked off (as can a gold bead) and changing the rear from a U to a V with an added white line as I am old and can't see all that well.
As with any DGR rifle, stock fit is a critical element. Savage has done well here and the rifle is light enough and dimensioned to snap right up on target in a hairy situation.
Loaded up 20 more casts to take to the range tomorrow. Looking forward to getting back to WY and trying my favorite serious 9.3 load of 55 gr of 3031 and 250 gr TSX. Anticipate it will do as well in this short barrel (20") as it does in the Merkel's stubby tube.

9.3X62AL
05-19-2012, 05:18 PM
I see your points about the orange-bar front sight's utility under DG conditions and subdued lighting. I'm getting a mite curmudgeonly as I creep toward age 60, and grow tired of being constantly hammered with "safety" upgrades like orange rifle stocks--cross bolt safeties on lever rifles--internal locks on handguns--ad nauseum. There has never been, and never will be a foolproof firearm--so fools need to leave them alone.

I am VERY happy to see Savage making bolt rifles in 8 x 57 and 9.3 x 62, though. Both calibers have been outstanding cast boolit platforms for me.

Mr Humble
05-19-2012, 05:44 PM
"Creeping toward 60" ........ I wish ! I just hit 7 decades !

9.3X62AL
05-19-2012, 06:01 PM
Well, good for ya! :)

I've clattered and rambled here for 10 years about what an unalloyed delight the 9.3 x 62 caliber has been as a cast boolit flinger in my CZ-550. As said above, it has no need to be sub-MOA given the size range of game taken with the chambering, but my rifle gets close to MOA with a couple J-words and is reliably 1.5 MOA or better with castings.

One attribute of the rifle I REALLY like--using the 250 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips and IMR-4320 powder, it can safely achieve 2650 FPS in hot weather. So too does the 30-06 and the 180 grain Nosler Partition, and the ballistic coefficients of the two bullets are microscopically close. In other words, within game-taking ranges both calibers have very similar downrange behavior--the difference being the 9.3's bullet hitting with half-again more energy. I call this pairing My Canada Kit.

nanuk
05-25-2012, 01:42 AM
One attribute of the rifle I REALLY like--using the 250 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips and IMR-4320 powder, it can safely achieve 2650 FPS in hot weather. So too does the 30-06 and the 180 grain Nosler Partition, and the ballistic coefficients of the two bullets are microscopically close. In other words, within game-taking ranges both calibers have very similar downrange behavior--the difference being the 9.3's bullet hitting with half-again more energy. I call this pairing My Canada Kit.

I like that thinking, no need to change thinking when bringing the rifle up....

if it is within range, You will hit it!

Brithunter
05-26-2012, 07:51 AM
Wonder which country in Europe needs bright orange rifles. I cannot think of one off hand. Thank god so far no numbskull in the UK has thought of this .................................................. ............. yet.

Mr Humble
06-02-2012, 12:02 AM
Don't know. Folks at Savage it was for places where game is driven to the hunters by "beaters" who are also armed (wild boar ?) and things could get exciting real fast and pretty close in dense cover.
I love the UK but could never live there with the nanny state mentality, huge taxes, lousy health care and a helpless populace.

rifle vs gun
06-10-2012, 06:50 AM
Hi All , have just acquired a Ruger African on 9.3x62. I was lucky enough to get in on the GB from Swedenelson and was helped out by Blammer with some gas checks. Nuff said, now the questions. I brought her to hunt paper targets at our local range, they call it "Big Game" events I just call it massive fun. To get a jersey you need to participate in the spirit of the competition, this means no girly load. For the 9.3 you need to make the same numbers as Hornady factory loads(2360 Mv 3537 Me). Now will I get close with cast boolits??? I am starting with straight wheel weights and 56gr 2206H. this is suposed to be max load from the ADI website, however on www.realguns.com, they reckon 61.5gr. Now that's a big step up, anyone got a favorite around these numbers.

TomBulls
06-10-2012, 01:12 PM
Oh My!......... Nice shooter but you may want to enter that rifle in the next ugly rifle contest you see.

It ain't ugly, it's got style!

Love Life
06-10-2012, 01:39 PM
I would to have one of these in 8X57. Off to gunbroker I go...

mstarling
06-10-2012, 11:50 PM
I like the 9,3x62! I have two of them. One is a Cz 550 American and the other is a working custom built on a VZ.24 Mauser action. Both work extremely well on game. Both have been to Africa. One has a wood stock the other a composite. Both have excellent triggers.

Neither is as ugly as that Savage.

Mr Humble
07-14-2012, 10:28 PM
Neither has a detachable magazine nor Nitrided metal in and out. As for triggers, there are Accu-Triggers and the others.

People laughed at 58' El Dorados ....... try and buy one now.

9.3X62AL
07-15-2012, 10:47 PM
Hi All , have just acquired a Ruger African on 9.3x62. I was lucky enough to get in on the GB from Swedenelson and was helped out by Blammer with some gas checks. Nuff said, now the questions. I brought her to hunt paper targets at our local range, they call it "Big Game" events I just call it massive fun. To get a jersey you need to participate in the spirit of the competition, this means no girly load. For the 9.3 you need to make the same numbers as Hornady factory loads(2360 Mv 3537 Me). Now will I get close with cast boolits??? I am starting with straight wheel weights and 56gr 2206H. this is suposed to be max load from the ADI website, however on www.realguns.com, they reckon 61.5gr. Now that's a big step up, anyone got a favorite around these numbers.

I've been trying to boost velocities in the CZ-550 past 2000 FPS with my 270 grain Mountain Molds GC design, and accuracy doesn't hold up past 3-4 rounds using 92/6/2 alloy and Javelina Alox lube. 50.0 grains of IMR-4320 was the load, and 2050-2075 FPS was the result. My next step will be to use Linotype alloy with said loads, and if that doesn't fix things then a better lube will get the call. For hunting usage, 3 good shots should be all that is needed......but I won't trust the combo until 10 shots from a fouled barrel stay clustered. SOME ELEMENT is breaking down as firing continues, and while I suspect it is lube I want to try harder metal first.

Mr Humble
07-16-2012, 01:57 AM
You are just asking too much from a soft alloy. Once you get past 2000 in almost any lead based cast bullet it will start to lead. Lets be honest a 270 gr cast bullet at 1800 will kill anything in the lower 48 very dead.
250+ gr, plain old wheelweights, SPG lube, NEI 35 launched at 1800 and recovered from soft wet clay berm @300 yards. Group is fairly typical @100 using a lot of H869 "too slow the experts say", what they don't say is how cool it burns, ergo, no blowby or leading in Ruger early 77 35 Whelen.

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z377/rocketcity1/tororeelmower18/001d13bb.jpg

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z377/rocketcity1/tororeelmower18/1de991d6.jpg