PDA

View Full Version : 225450 lyman

Littlewolf
04-29-2012, 11:21 PM
hi yall,
i got this lyman mould because the roundball moulds i have impressed me with their longevity, and i needed bullets for my 22 hornet and i like the long nose profile of the 450 over the short round noses of the modern moulds.
BUT i just can't seem to get my hands on a 450 top punch to go with a lyman sizer.
it seems to me more reliable to get the gas checks seated when the base of the bullet goes through the sizer first rather than nose first like the lee sizers
as you can probably tell i'm fairly new to cast bullet cartrige loading. all i intend to cast bullet load at this point is 22 hornet or maybe 222 and with the same projectiles. any wisdome would be greatly apreciated
also using printer's type for the material

beagle
05-03-2012, 01:15 AM
The #450 TPs are pretty hard to find. I picked up several at Bif's Gun World in Louisville, KY several years ago and let a friend have one. They're in the online directory. You'll have to call as there's no web site.

Or, you may be able to turn down a #418 if you can find one.

Both of these take a very pointy TP and I can'trecall anything that uses anything that will work./beagle

frnkeore
05-03-2012, 02:05 AM
You can make a top punch by filling another, drilled out punch with epoxy. Size the bullet first and put it in the die. Wax the nose of the bullet, then bring the epoxied punch down on to it. Leave over night and you've got your punch.

Frank

largom
05-03-2012, 08:38 AM
You can make a top punch by filling another, drilled out punch with epoxy. Size the bullet first and put it in the die. Wax the nose of the bullet, then bring the epoxied punch down on to it. Leave over night and you've got your punch.

Frank

This is how I make ALL of my top punches.

Larry

NSP64
05-03-2012, 11:10 AM
theperfessor(a member here), makes hollowed out top punches that you fill with epoxy to make custom punches out of. I have ordered several and they work great.

Littlewolf
05-06-2012, 12:22 AM
thanks for the intell guys, i'm almost convinced in just getting a lee sizer die that pushes nose first so i don't have to (many curse words) with trying to find or make a top punch for that little coyote pill.
would also kinda like to try some brass jacketed versions of it 45-50 grain in weight both weights in off the shelf bullets are shooting $0.25 dia or smaller groups at the 30 yrd bzo distance but at $19.00 per hundred i'd like to reduce my overhead for giving coyotes their vitamines

.22-10-45
05-18-2012, 10:10 PM
Hello, Littlewolfe. For most of my sizing these days, I use a perfectly flat punch..lets the bullet align itself to sizer die.

BCall
05-18-2012, 10:59 PM
A flat punch is pretty hard to use on the 225450, especially if you don't want a flat nose.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh259/blcall/SN851219.jpg

Littlewolf
05-19-2012, 03:21 AM
nice pic of pointies there bcall i got my lee nose first die today in the mail from an evil-bay seller .003 sure is a lot of distance. idk how to get pics on here yet or i'd show the results of a gas checkless (had to play with my new toy NOW) test model

kunkis1132
04-15-2013, 09:41 PM
I need 450 top punch as well,anyone can make one ill pay!!!epoxy not working