PDA

View Full Version : No good without a holster ( suggestions )

gray wolf
04-29-2012, 09:36 PM
suggestions for a holster needed.
We can't find a holster for this ruger bisly hunter, We tried all the uncle mikes holsters and even called the Co. Ruger has one but it's $80.00
Way, way, more that can be afforded. Looked all through midway book and nothing. All that seems to be available is shoulder rig for a scoped pistol. Kind of silly to hold it in your hand all the time.
Any thoughts that may help.

captaint
04-30-2012, 08:25 AM
I would look for some used items. We see them here sometimes, and certainly on Fleabay, if you can deal with that !!! Good luck GW. enjoy Mike

tinyejp
04-30-2012, 08:53 AM
Gray Wolf,
I have a buddy that makes leather goods, and he made me a gun belt set for my Bisley for a reasonable price. If you are just looking for a holster, he may be able to take care of you for less than $80. He uses nice thick leather and can accommodate your specifications at your request. Drop him a line at stearnscustomleather@yahoo.com and see what he has to say.

tinyejp
04-30-2012, 09:02 AM
Here's a pic of the one he made for me. I can't give you a price, but suffice it to say it was very reasonable in comparison to similar work, and it's great to have something made to your exacting specs.

Wayne Smith
04-30-2012, 02:28 PM
Look up Hunter Holsters. They have a bewildering line of holsters, but once you understand their website you can find most anything you need at a reasonable price. Not fancy, not designer, just useful carry equipment.

gray wolf
04-30-2012, 02:55 PM
Look up Hunter Holsters. They have a bewildering line of holsters, but once you understand their website you can find most anything you need at a reasonable price. Not fancy, not designer, just useful carry equipment.

Sam

Dark Helmet
04-30-2012, 03:12 PM
Try the Sportsmans Guide. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/browse/holsters.aspx?c=123

larryp
04-30-2012, 08:01 PM
Here you go. $32.00. They're a decent , very usable holster.
http://www.oklahomaleatherproducts.com/Merchant4/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=OLP&Category_Code=H1

429421Cowboy
04-30-2012, 09:50 PM
Remember compared to the cost of the gun the holster is a fairly cheap investment, but a key piece of the puzzle whan it comes to speed and usefulness. I have looked on Hunter holsters several times to find Ruger holsters in the past and the array is mindboggling at times. I also believe they are one of the very few companies that offer a selection for the 3.5" Rugers as well, I'm sure they have plenty of no frills leather for the Bisley, but you may have to settle for a hammer strap instead of a thumb break or a snap. Good luck to you in your quest!

...Another thought, you might be able to find a boot maker or saddle shop locally that could make a rugged working holster for a fair price if you look around. As before, luck to you sir.

Wayne Smith
05-01-2012, 09:24 AM
...Another thought, you might be able to find a boot maker or saddle shop locally that could make a rugged working holster for a fair price if you look around. As before, luck to you sir.

I'm trading a pen I turned for a holster for my Schofield Smith Model 3 full flap. Local leather worker liked the pen I was using.

Lefty SRH
05-02-2012, 06:58 AM
I can't remember the exact model (it's at home and at work) but Bianchi makes a decent holster that hold my Bisley Hunter very well. I thinks it's called the Lawman.

Roosters
05-02-2012, 07:30 AM
Have you checked this they start at $42.95 . I have 2 holsters from here real good quality.
http://shopruger.com/Holsters/products/106/1/0

05-02-2012, 07:32 AM
A pancake holster is pretty easy to make if you can stitch leather. Two flat pieces of leather sewn together. You'll be surprised at the real cost of leather. It's not cheap.

I did once make a holster for my T/C Scout pistol out of canvas. Hand stitched and ugly as sin, but it works like a champ and frankly I prefer it to stiff leather.

MT Gianni
05-03-2012, 06:21 PM
I like good holsters for guns that I need to stay where they are put and come out quick when they are needed. Uncle Mikes are Ok for 22's but not for bear country or large caliber hunting guns, IMO.

gray wolf
05-03-2012, 07:01 PM
http://shopruger.com/Holsters/products/106/1/0

Thank you for this link and all the others.
I have a ?--I notice that many of the holsters are molded--that's fine.
Now the hunter has the scope rail ( raised rib ) if the pistol fits OK for the front half but is tight along the barrel because of the rib--can I re wet the holster and re-form it to the barrel if there is enough room.
I hope I said that correctly.

Sam

Roosters
05-07-2012, 10:08 AM
Put the gun in it and let it sit a week or so. Every now and then pick it up and work it with your hands while the pistol is in it. They will loosen up some. I’d try that before I wet it or did anything else. :idea:

missionary5155
05-07-2012, 06:39 PM
Greetings
You could consider to make your own. My first was made out of canvas and sewed with box twine. Lasted several years . Was ugly as could be but sure worked fine. Get some newspaper, wrap around revolver leaving room for a seam. Now you have your pattern. Leave a flap on what will be the back side to fold over. Sew that to the back side of the holster to have a belt loop. 3 inches wide works well.
Mike in Peru

Roosters
05-09-2012, 07:37 AM
Take the rail off or put on a scope and get this one . . .:-D
http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r600/threescrew3/Capture.jpg

It's here middle of page http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/browse/browse.aspx?c=123

x101airborne
05-09-2012, 12:19 PM
Whyte (SP) Leather Works on this forum. He made me a custom belt and rig to my specs and did a BEAUTIFUL job, very quickly for just around 100.00 for the entire thing. I would rather pay a little more than what I had to for a proper fit for my weapons.

**oneshot**
05-09-2012, 06:52 PM
Hunter models do not fit most holsters. I have been searching for one for a year now. I'm going to have to go custom from somewhere. I have an uncle mikes sidekick that works when the scope is on, it is a snug fit with the scope. Without the scope there is way to much play.

SandSquid
05-10-2012, 03:56 PM
A trip to Tandy Leather, a few hundred dollars and a lot of practice later, and you are master of your leather domain!
I've made 7 holsters for 1911's (mine, family, and friends).

Now, I'm planning the shoulder rig for the scoped T/C 14" .44

Of course this is yet another black-hole hobby.

blackthorn
05-14-2012, 05:46 PM
I don't know if this will help but---:
Moulding a leather holster to fit a particular firearm is done as follows:
1. Place a generically made leather holster on a flat hard surface with the side to be moulded facing up.
2. Wet a cloth or cotton ball with rubbing alcohol and repeatedly wet the side of the holster to be moulded. The leather will soon become soft and pliable.
3. Insert your unloaded handgun into the holster in the desired position and then, using your fingers, press the leather down evenly around the outline of the gun, re-wetting the holster with alcohol as necessary.

A surprising amount of detail, even cylinder flutes on a handgun, can be moulded using this technique. Once satisfied with the degree of moulding, allow the holster to dry for about an hour. Once dry, the leather should retain the shape of the handgun and is ready to use. Be aware that alcohol may discolor the leather.

gray wolf
05-14-2012, 07:30 PM
Very good advise,
thank you all