PDA

View Full Version : Got'r did

Finster101
04-29-2012, 08:55 PM
The goal was to get it all done on Saturday. 43931

Got the burner set up and off to the races43932 Didn't quite get it all done. The rain set in. In Florida you don't just get rain, you get a squall line with wind that blows the rain halfway through the pole barn. Here is Saturdays work43933 120 ingots. Finished on Sunday with a total of 204 for both days. They averaged about 2.5lbs each.

I had what I thought were isotope cores.43938 When I put a couple in with the wheel weights they would not melt. I kept my temp close to 600. That made me suspicious and I waited till I was finished with weights and melted them separately. Glad I did. It finally melted around 725 and was an oatmeal consistency. Spooned it out in to a couple of small steel buckets, now I have a couple of anchors for fishing hole markers.

Gtek
04-29-2012, 09:07 PM
Those sure look like Zinkies, anode-cathode boat stuff. Be glad you kept your pot down unless you wanted a bunch of fishing weights. Gtek

Bill*
04-29-2012, 10:39 PM
YEP...Gtek nailed it. You take two of those and clamp em together around the propeller shaft to ward off corrosion. they're called "sacrificial anodes". And they should be almost pure ZINC.

Actually, ward off corrosion isn't quite correct, They corrode INSTEAD or BEFORE the prop shaft does. Thus the "sacrificial"

Finster101
04-30-2012, 06:35 AM
Thanks guys, I did not think they looked right and when one just floated at 600 I fished it back out. Figured I would try when the pot was empty, thus not ruining my alloy. They were given to me so no great loss. Got All the wheel weights from work so my cost was zero. All in all a pretty good weekend.

Defcon-One
04-30-2012, 09:24 PM
Yep, Boat Zincs. They goe on the prop shaft to prevent corrosion.

Uzi
05-01-2012, 02:10 PM
Yep, Boat Zincs. They goe on the prop shaft to prevent corrosion.

Zinc for salt water anodes. Anodes of magnesium are for fresh water.