PDA

View Full Version : P/P for a semi auto

DeanWinchester
04-29-2012, 06:49 PM
Could a .308 be paper patched for a semi auto? Reasonably?
Seems kinda stupid at first I know, but I have an AR-10 on the way soon. Heavy Stainless barrel. It will certainly never be used as a blaster.

Just curious if anyone has ever tried it with success. I don't mind a lot of effort to find a load that'll work, so long as it's a battle that I can win.

Thanks guys.

Nobade
04-29-2012, 10:25 PM
I am sure you could get it to shoot paper patched loads accurately, but I doubt you could get it to feed them without tearing up the patches. As a single shot auto unloader it should work just fine. Those AR-10 feed ramps would be pretty hard on patches.

DeanWinchester
04-29-2012, 10:27 PM
That's what I figured. I just thought I'd ask. I know people here don't take no for answer very easily.

303Guy
04-30-2012, 02:11 AM
Just asking - how hard would it be to build a single stack magazine that will feed a paper patch? I've seen a 1911 and I had a 380 auto that would feed empty cases from the magazine with boring consistency. Why not a magazine that holds the cartridge nose high in the middle of the magazine well?

pdawg_shooter
04-30-2012, 08:05 AM
Why would an auto loader be any harder on the patch than a lever? I patch for 5 levers and they all work fine. You can always regulate the patch so it is inside the neck if necessary, but I dont think it will be.

DeanWinchester
04-30-2012, 08:10 AM
Pdawg, I'd say it's the design of th feed ramps on a Stoner design. Your lever gun likely has a large single ramp whereas an AR platform has two grooves in the bottom of the barrel extension. Being smaller, they'd likely wanna grab.

Building a single stack magazine would not be an impossible feat. That's a great idea.

6.5 mike
04-30-2012, 10:57 AM
Does someone make a single shot follower for the a-10 ? Might be a simple way to shoot them.

Harter66
04-30-2012, 03:52 PM
I've shot some light PPCB in my s k s . I turn the gas port off,it has the grenade package, and run it like a straight pul bolt gun because I don't like chasing brass. While it does damage about 1 patch in 7-8 the case matching causes more fliers . For bulk shooting I'm using a LEE 309-160(?) . The bore is a little over sized. My best luck has been w/patches back just below the ogive slightly onto the bore ride section. I have shot a full spire point as well but w/no hope magazine feeding w/o patch damage,so those are single feed only now.

bbqncigars
04-30-2012, 11:41 PM
If you're really bound and determined, make sure that the feed ramp(s) are smooth as glass with no sharp edges.

Wayne

Cmasailor
05-02-2012, 03:43 AM
And perhaps dunking the ppb's in a waterproofing hot bath of beeswax to coat them like a 22lr boolit or like the Kynosh 577/450 PPB's ... It works for 22LR ammo fairly well and would give the patch some resiliance till fired.