PDA

View Full Version : lee .450 200gr hollow point

rsmkhb
04-29-2012, 02:48 PM
Just came across a lee single cavity bullet mold. Diameter is .450. 200 grain hollow point bullet. It says on the package that it is designed for the 44 remington. All my books have the .44 cast bullets sized to .429. .450 seems really big. Can this bullet be sized down to .429 or.430? Or is that pushing it. If not what would this be used for. The guy only wanted 15.00 for it. It is in great shape with the box. I figured i could probably resell it for at least that if it didnt work for me.

This is my first post and i am just getting started in this hobby.

thanks
Ryan

BCall
04-29-2012, 03:19 PM
You got a good buy, the old Lee HP molds tend to go for a bit more than that. But, that mold is meant for the 44 Remingotn cap and ball revolvers. Why they are called 44 is beyond me, because they are really 45's. The 450 diameter would be correct or close to for the cap and ball gun. It would be tough I think to size for a 44, and I doubt you would get much performance. I'd sell it and get a proper mold for 44 if that is what you need.

fcvan
04-30-2012, 02:02 AM
I have one of those 200gr HP Molds. It is a conical mold for an 1858 Remington Percussion BP revolver. I also have a 2 cavity round nose of the same design. These molds throw a slightly tapered boolit to ease in seating within the cylinder of the percussion revolver.

I have fired these in a 45 ACP without leading or accuracy issues. I have fired them in a NEF 45 Colt Classic Carbine without leading or accuracy issues. I recently acquired a Vaquero in 45 Colt. Not having a micrometer I pushed a boolit through the cylinder. The portion forward of the lube grooves was 'sized' but the base was barely touched. It truly is tapered.

I can only say that when casting with range scrap these boolits seem to bump up at the base and seal rather well. I intend to use an aluminum gas check made from soda can material when my Checkmaker arrived from Pat. I think this will be a great combo in the 45 ACP or the 45 Colt. As far as my 1858 Remington (CVA Uberti copy) it shoots great with pyrodex! Frank