PDA

View Full Version : L. E. Wilson case holder question

STP
04-10-2007, 07:54 PM
Thru an estate situation, I acquired several items of L. E. Wilson manufacture.
My question centers around a case trimmer holder with an unusual ID stamp. I do not see it listed on their website...(Their cartridge column header is unreadable to me)
The case holder is simply marked "Special".
Huh??
A sized .357 magnum case does not protude out enough to be "trimmed". It` about .050 short, and the 357Max case is nearly .254 too long. Neither fit the ID well, but are v-e-r-y close.
What do I have here?
Yes, I sent an e-mail to "Support", but who know`s when it will be read and answered....

Bad Flynch
04-11-2007, 05:40 PM
As you have discovered, the case holders for an L.E. Wilson case trimmer are only holders; they do not set the length of the trim job. As for the special marking--it could be anything.

Most case holders for the Wilson trimmer that I use just hold the case still and steady while I turn the crank and trim. Any case can be used that will work that way. For example, my .30-'06 case holder works for .25-'06., .270 Win, .280 Rem., -'06, .333 OKH, .338-'06, and .35 Whelen. My .308 Win case holder(s) are available for fired and unfired cases and will work with .243 Win., .25 Page Souper, .260 Rem., 7mm-08, .308 Win., and the larger calibers based on that case like the .358 Win.

The length of the trim is set by the relationship of the adjustable screwed base stop and the cutter. Just use a dial caliper.

DonH
04-11-2007, 06:48 PM
STP;

When you insert a case in the correct Wilson case holder normally the case sticks out on both ends and the case should be a tight "jam" fit in the holder. I usually have to tap the mouth of the case lightly to remove it from the holder. The exception to this among holders I have is a .44 Spl/Mag holder which allows the case to go into the holder and bottom on the rim and a tapered bar inserted trhough a hole in each side to wedge the case in place.

STP
04-11-2007, 07:23 PM
I kept one of the trimmers and use it for 30-06, as I do quite a bit of F-Class shooting at Williamsport, so it get`s a bit of use. The sized cases are a nice snug fit as described and the trimmer works like a charm. (Should have started with one of these back in the early 80`s when I started loading my own!)

But, the 357Mag and 357Max sized cases are not even close to being snug in the holder as it allows way too much lateral movement. My thinking has been that this was made for a unidentified wildcat. While I don`t have a shellholder for one of the straight walled pistol cartridges to compare it with, this doesn`t seem correct to me.

Besides, it`s marked "Special" so I tried a 38Spl at first, then to the .357Mag, then to the Maximum, and found it`s too short for the Mag, and much too long for the Max. The Maximum wasn`t even around when this holder was made. (My guess, based on the external condition of some of the holders)

Much of the items from this source go back to the 40`s, and the owner`s load tools and such rarely broached the 80`s.
I still have several sets of C&H, Wells, Herter`s, and Hollywood dies as well as more L. E. Wilson case holders and such left over.

No response from L. E. Wilson tonite...

montana_charlie
04-12-2007, 02:00 PM
I hate to hazard a guess about your 'Special' holder if it's too short for even .357 Mag cases.
But, by way of general information...

Wilson (and Midway) does say this about the holders, "Cartridges with minimal body taper may require different case holders for fired and new cases."

Now, that description would apply to most revolver cases, so I believe that might make the difference when trying to snug a case into the holder.

In a couple of discussions (elsewhere) about this difference, I got curious enough to query Wilson about how to identify a holder meant for fired versus new cases.
The reply said that holders intended for new (or full length resized) case have the word 'New' stamped on them. All others are for fired cases.

Now, I don't know if that applies, as stated, to holders that don't come in both styles, but I will assume so until proven otherwise.
CM

STP
04-12-2007, 06:54 PM
CM,
Yep, I`m familiar with the 2 types. This one lacks any such marking.
It`s length is the mystery.
Thanks,
Scott

EDG
04-14-2014, 06:38 PM
The length is not really a functional dimension on the case holder.
It could be a .222 based wildcat. There is little reason to think it is for a pistol cartridge.

CM,
Yep, I`m familiar with the 2 types. This one lacks any such marking.
It`s length is the mystery.
Thanks,
Scott

head for the hills
04-14-2014, 09:09 PM
Some cartridges which need a different size holder for fired and resized need a special sized holder to hold the resized brass. You send Wilson a resized cartridge and they make you a special holder. This is one type of holder marked "special".

seagiant
04-14-2014, 09:39 PM
Hi,
I've used the Wilson trimmer since day one! I'm actually surprised the caliber is not marked??? Quality tooling at a great price!