PDA

View Full Version : NO LUBE GROOVES In .44 Mag Or .45 Cal

DODGEM250
04-29-2012, 09:06 AM
I'm wondering if anyone makes a mold that does not have lube grooves in these calibers. In specific, muzzleloader bullets.

Smooth wall bullets for sabot use with no lube grooves.

Say... 300 to 325 Grain cast lead bullet weight.

-

badgeredd
04-29-2012, 09:26 AM
I'm wondering if anyone makes a mold that does not have lube grooves in these calibers. In specific, muzzleloader bullets.

Smooth wall bullets for sabot use with no lube grooves.

Say... 300 to 325 Grain cast lead bullet weight.

-

Is there a particular reason you need a bullet without lube grooves for use in a sabot? I ask because I've used several designs in the past in sabots, and in my experience, a boolit that is stable in cartridge ammo seems to work well in sabots. I have found that the Lee tuble lube style seem to work quite well in general if they are sized to thenominal caliber diameters and cast with a soft alloy.

You might want to check the Accurate Molds site for a PP type bullet. If Tom doesn't have something that pleases you, ask him to design something and make a mold of said design.

Edd

DODGEM250
04-29-2012, 09:37 AM
Is there a particular reason you need a bullet without lube grooves for use in a sabot? I ask because I've used several designs in the past in sabots, and in my experience, a boolit that is stable in cartridge ammo seems to work well in sabots. I have found that the Lee tuble lube style seem to work quite well in general if they are sized to thenominal caliber diameters and cast with a soft alloy.

You might want to check the Accurate Molds site for a PP type bullet. If Tom doesn't have something that pleases you, ask him to design something and make a mold of said design.

Edd

Not really. I have several different molds I use for muzzleloader-only casts, but, I am just curious if there exists a mold that will make the same bullets without the lube grooves that present more like commercial ML bullet instead of a "put this with that" combo. I am more than happy with "my" ML bullets and they have proven themselves both on paper and in the field. I guess I'm looking for a mold that makes Bullet sinkers for fishing without the line hole.

DODGEM250
04-29-2012, 09:45 AM
What I would like to find is a .44 mag or .45 cal tumble lube mold in a 300+ grain bullet. Are these available ? I can not find such a thing.

Blammer
04-29-2012, 09:46 AM
the only reason I could think of to have a smooth sided bullet in a muzzle loader sabot is to shorten the bullet length and maintain the wt.

In my muzzle loader I've found that the lenght of bullet will really determine if it will shoot it or not when using a sabot. (48T barrel) I have long light bullets that won't shoot and short light bullets that will.

badgeredd
04-29-2012, 10:05 AM
Here is a bullet that is on the Accurate Mold site.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=43-280F-D.png

In your situation, I'd email Tom and ask him what this design would weigh without grease grooves. I'd guess it will come close to your desired weight. His service is excellent and he is very helpful when trying to work out a design.

Edd

BTW here's a link to his site...http://www.accuratemolds.com/index.php

DODGEM250
04-29-2012, 10:11 AM
I've been using my Lee 90858DL for casting my .44 mag / 300 gr. bullets for sabot use and they fly very well. I also cast some .45 in the Lee .457-340/F and these are excellent as well. I am just pondering the idea of, as you said, shortening the bullet and keeping the weight, but, the bullet length is not important to me, it's the weight.

I'm not a fan of those tiny little 240 commercial ML bullets and that's the main reason I started casting my own. Every retail store around here stocks ( Southern Maryland ) only stocks 240 gr bullets and I'm just not happy with those little things.

I have been selling the heck out of my casts / sabot combo because a lot of guys around here have the same problem not being able to get a bullet in the 300+ range.

These are some that I have made and everyone is happy with them. First picture is an old photo of my .45/345gr and the green sabots are some I made last week in 44mag/300gr The 44/300 has been the most popular, but, I'd love to lose the lube grooves.

-

runfiverun
04-29-2012, 08:19 PM
so take the grooves out of the mold.

Chicken Thief
04-30-2012, 03:31 AM
It's called a paper patch boolit!

http://kal.castpics.net/Molds.html

Packy
04-30-2012, 07:54 AM
http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=45-300S-D.png
Take a look at this one. From accurate molds.

excess650
04-30-2012, 08:13 AM
I had LBT cut a mould like that years ago. Mine was a smooth sided boolit, may have a slight bevel base, but was intended to be paper patched. Sabots do the same.