PDA

View Full Version : Ballisti-Cast Buyer's Choice Group Buy

04-29-2012, 03:22 AM
Im in this group buy for mold #1103 size .430 for a 44mag. But I've read that some guns need a bigger size die. Sould I stay with .430 or go bigger maybe .432 or .434 so that I would have more size options in tne future?

MikeS
04-29-2012, 03:43 AM
To know the answer to that question you would need to measure the throats on your gun(s). You can either slug them with soft lead, or if you have access to them use pin guages. Having said that, I would say you might want to get the .432 mould, as you can always size it down to .430 if that's the size you need. That boolit design has a nice large lube groove, as well as a large crimp groove, so they won't get lost in sizing the boolit down. I don't think you should go too big, and get the .434 unless your current gun(s) need that large a boolit, or you're considering buying older guns that might need that large a boolit.

04-29-2012, 04:40 AM
I've never measured the throats on my guns but I think a .430 would work ok.

Future guns maybe a henry big boy or marlin 1894. would size .430 work on these guns?

btroj
04-29-2012, 08:16 AM
Most Marlins like a bigger bullet.
Like Mike said, itis far easier to size a bullet down than itis to make it bigger.

04-29-2012, 09:33 AM
So how big would it need to be for a marlin .431 .432 ect.?

ballisti-cast
04-29-2012, 09:54 AM
Get some .454 100% lead balls (standard size for black powder rifles available at most gun stores), a rubber hammer, and wood dowel that will fit through your barrel. Lube the ball, smash it into the barrel and tap it through with the wooden dowel. Then measure it with a good pair of calipers or better yet a micrometer. You want to size the bullet to .001" bigger then the barrel; some people go .002" bigger. There's a couple tutorials on youtube, but it's really easy and no way to really mess up. Let me know then and I'll change your order if it needs to be.

04-29-2012, 01:13 PM
I don't have a Marlin that I can check the size on but from the reading I've been doing Im thinking I should change to a .432?

Does anyone load for a Marlin 1894 in 44mag if so what do you size to?

Jack Stanley
04-29-2012, 02:58 PM
So how big would it need to be for a marlin .431 .432 ect.?

My 336 that is chambered in forty-four mag takes a .433" and I had to slug the barrel to get that number . I wouldn't expect Marlin to make it easy on reloaders so you'll likely have to slug a rifle or two and see what they give ya .

Jack

Moonie
05-02-2012, 09:33 AM
Get some .454 100% lead balls (standard size for black powder rifles available at most gun stores), a rubber hammer, and wood dowel that will fit through your barrel. Lube the ball, smash it into the barrel and tap it through with the wooden dowel. Then measure it with a good pair of calipers or better yet a micrometer. You want to size the bullet to .001" bigger then the barrel; some people go .002" bigger. There's a couple tutorials on youtube, but it's really easy and no way to really mess up. Let me know then and I'll change your order if it needs to be.

Please do NOT use a wooden dowel, note the sticky on wooden dowel removal. Wooden dowels can and do get stuck when they splinter against the slug and removal is very difficult. There is also a sticky on the proper way to slug your barrel.

bigboredad
05-02-2012, 10:04 AM
if you are looking to buy now for future guns I personally would go with a .434. AS was stated earlier it is far easier to size down than to make a bullet fatter. I size down a .458 to .454 and .452 with ease in one step and have great accuracy with that bullet. As i said earlier that is what I would do. ymmv

ballisti-cast
05-02-2012, 12:41 PM
Please do NOT use a wooden dowel, note the sticky on wooden dowel removal. Wooden dowels can and do get stuck when they splinter against the slug and removal is very difficult. There is also a sticky on the proper way to slug your barrel.

Wasn't aware of that problem. Youtube is my go to on figuring out new stuff when there is a good demonstration video available, and that's how the guy showed how to do it. I've slugged quite a few barrels like that and never run into the dowel splintering. That would be a big head ache though if it did. I'll definitely be taking a look into the threads on here so I do it the best way from now on.

Moonie
05-03-2012, 08:11 AM
Wasn't aware of that problem. Youtube is my go to on figuring out new stuff when there is a good demonstration video available, and that's how the guy showed how to do it. I've slugged quite a few barrels like that and never run into the dowel splintering. That would be a big head ache though if it did. I'll definitely be taking a look into the threads on here so I do it the best way from now on.

I haven't had it happen either and I have done the dowel myself, just pointing g out that others have had it happen and while you might be on doing it but if not you will have a much harder time getting it out than finding a proper metal rod to begin with. Cheap insurance.

Dark Helmet
05-03-2012, 11:36 PM
Had a wooden dowel split and wedge itself in a barrel. It got ugly. [smilie=b:

bobthenailer
05-04-2012, 07:37 AM
Ive owened about 11, 44 mags from various manfactures and 9 shot .430 dia cast bullets excellent the other 2 required .433 dia bullets to get excellent accuracy.as they had 432.5 & 433 cyl throats

edler7
05-04-2012, 09:51 AM
Does anyone load for a Marlin 1894 in 44mag if so what do you size to?

Mine slugs .431+, so I size to .433 and it shoots well at that size.

If you check SAAMI specs, you will find that the .44 pistol and rifle have different specs for bore size, with the rifle being the bigger of the 2. Most commercial loads are sized to the pistol spec.

Wayne Smith
05-05-2012, 09:25 AM

If you are lucky enough to find a dowel with a straight grain you won't have the problem. Good luck finding one.

StratsMan
05-05-2012, 10:12 AM
I bought a brass rod at the local box store... cost a bit, but it's way better than having a dowel break....

kenyerian
05-05-2012, 10:31 AM
I've always used a brass rod with a jag on the end.

05-11-2012, 12:17 PM
Thanks for everyone's help.

I decided to go with a .432, I think that will work for everything I need.

mdi
05-11-2012, 08:38 PM
Kinda like buying tires for your car. You prolly get by with whatever is handy for your make and modle, without knowing what size your car needs, but best performance comes from getting the exact tire for your particular car. If I were in your position, I'd get the largest available and get sizer dies to size bullets for your gun. Why would you not want to measure the cylinder throats in your guns? Without knowing, it's all just a guess...