PDA

View Full Version : 9mm Makarov

jrayborn
04-28-2012, 08:39 PM
I have a few CZ82 pistols that I like to shoot and have been casting the Lee 365-095-1R but it is only a 2 cavity mold and I would love to find something similar that is in the four to six cavity range. Does anyone have any idea's for me?

Thanks for any help!

Piedmont
04-29-2012, 02:35 AM
Go to accuratemolds.com and click on Catalog. He has three designs beginning with 37-. You can get up to a five cavity, any diameter you specify, and any of three mold materials. Expensive but you can get what you want. He will make a new design if these don't please you and you can describe what you want.

Out of curiousity, what do your CZ 82 barrels slug at?

RU shooter
04-29-2012, 01:44 PM
I believe Ranch Dog is having a 9 Mak mould in the works.There was a member on here that was doing some testing with it.Dont think its in full production yet though. Hopefully soon !

TCLouis
04-29-2012, 01:59 PM
Someone here ran a GB mold for a 6 cavity 100(?) grain Boolit several years ago.

Doesn't Lee catalog a mold for the Mak in their normal 6 cavity line?
I can't find my Mid South Shooters Supply catalog to check, but I am pretty sure they do.

The way CZs sling brass i have not shot any reloads until I can figure out a brass catcher.

CZ barrels are polygonal so I do not know if one can "measure diameter.

jrayborn
04-29-2012, 02:06 PM
It is difficult to measure a CZ barrel slug. Right now I am of the mind that it is .366 but due to how the polygonal rifling works, I suspect .365 may be more accurate? Lee only has the .365-095-1R with a part number listed for the two cavity I have now.

I like the shape and the function of the round nose design, it is to my eyes nearly identical to the FMJ round, or at least close enough.

Piedmont
04-30-2012, 12:24 AM
Ballisticast just pulled the plug on a group buy. If you act quickly maybe he will take pity on you and let you get his 4 cavity iron mould for $120 like the other guys. He will make it as a flat base round nose, though a bevel base is pictured. You have to request a flat base to get it.

I have now slugged 5 pistols in the 9x18 round (none CZs) and all have been .366" groove diameter to a half thousandth more. It makes me suspect all those who buy .365 sizers because "that's what they are supposed to measure" are making a big mistake.

On those CZs, I have read they are sighted for some light weight sinterred round somewhere around 70 grains. Is that true? Where do 100 grainers hit?

Wayne Smith
04-30-2012, 07:30 AM
As to brass, I have the Lee chuck and drill adapter to trim down 40 brass to make bullets, I just ordered the 9mmMak spud to try to trim down 9mm to the Mak length. It should work just as easily as the cut down 40 spud that I made does.

Jal5
04-30-2012, 10:25 AM
I use that same mold as the OP and cut down 9mm brass too for my CZ. Works great. But you do have to catch those flying cases! I am thinking of changing out the recoil springs supposed to slow down the flying cases somewhat. Joe

leadman
04-30-2012, 08:21 PM
I have one of the group buy Mak molds from Lee. The second one works great. The whole first batch had the cavities off center and had to be remade. That was about the end of the Lee group buys back then.
I trim down the 9 X 19 brass with a 9 X 18 case length gauge that I turned down the part by the threads so it will go into the 9 X 19 case. I tried to size first with the Mak die but it did not work well as the middle of the case did not get expanded with my die.