PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Bisley hunter vs Blkhawk Hunter

bushytail man
04-28-2012, 08:34 PM
I am going to buy either a Ruger Bisley Hunter or Blackhawk hunter. I like to hunt deer with my 29 smith, so this won't be my first handgun for hunting. Which frame is better suited for recoil ? Would you get the 44mag or 45 LC?
Hard to find the 45LC too.

AK Caster
04-28-2012, 08:46 PM
Blondes or red heads? For deer it's a flip of the coin. I finally tried a Ruger Bisley in 45 Colt and the middle joint on my middle finger takes a beating. Still, it doesnt become painful until after about 75 rounds if I wear gloves. My SBH never hits me this way.
You can find Ruger Bisleys with the 5.5 barrel in 45 Colt on gunbrokers for under $500 NIB. Might be the best buy in the revolver word at the moment.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=283918753

This same vendor used to have a buy it now price of $489 but since his supply is dwindling it looks like he removed it.

I say try a Ruger Bisley 45 Colt just to broaden your knowledge. You can keep the loads on the medium side so recoil shouldnt be an issue.

smkummer
04-28-2012, 08:55 PM
The bisley grip frame feels more like your 29 Smith than any plow handle single action. I have shot my buddy's Bisley SBH and its a sweet shooter with 950-1000 FPS 245 grain bullets.

lathesmith
04-28-2012, 08:57 PM
Less filling or tastes great....you need to actually try a Ruger Bisley grip, with your hunting-power loads, if you can. Some people love 'em, some hate 'em. Personally, I think they are a little homely, but my Bishawk Hunter in 44 Mag is one heckofa fine shooter. That Bisley grip really sits well in my hand, and I seem to experience less pain with the heavier loads than I do with a standard Blackhawk grip. Good luck!

lathesmith

subsonic
04-28-2012, 11:36 PM
+1 on the some people like 'em some hate 'em. Have to try it for yourself.

I can tell you that the re-sale value of the Bisley version is higher.

EDK
04-29-2012, 12:32 AM
I shoot 357 and 44 Original Size VAQUEROS on a daily basis. I find the HUNTER grip frame and SUPER BLACK HAWK hammer is almost as comfortable as a BISLEY grip frame and hammer on an otherwise identical gun. The DRAGOON grip frame was a favorite for almost 30 years...and I still like it...but the HUNTER or BISLEY are much better. XR3-red and XR-3 just don't work for me.

45 LC is a good choice, BUT you have to reload...AND you don't want to have a weaker gun around....COLT SAA or clone OR a NEW VAQUERO....that might end up with one of your hot rounds blowing it up! Glenn Fryxell has an excellent article on loading 1894 MARLIN rifles that has some applicable thoughts for pistols over at lasc.us. For the non-reloader or someone who doesn't care to go past SAAMI standard loads, the 44 is a much better choice. 45 LC ammo can be hard to find and brass is harder to find at reasonable prices. There are also numerous published problems with dimensions of guns, reloading dies, brass, etc. I just ain't that dedicated when the 44 is a better alternative for your specifications.

:redneck::cbpour::guntootsmiley:

RugerFan
04-29-2012, 01:18 AM
I've owned a number of .41 Mag & .44 Mag Ruger revolvers in Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk Hunter with Bisley grip and with Western grip. Concerning the Hunter version, I much prefer the fuller Bisley grip. They fit my entire hand better and are a joy to shoot.

44man
04-29-2012, 09:12 AM
I am one of those that hates the Bisley. There is no way I can keep my middle knuckle from getting pounded.
I also do not get as good a group with them unless I use every ounce of concentration on the hold along with a glove. I just don't like gloves!.
There is NO difference in felt recoil on the palm with either grip.
Hold both styles tight to prevent stupid "roll" in the hand and you never know the difference. Smooth, high polished grips will give the most trouble with either. You need gloves then for friction.
Do not use a "high" hold, your finger should go as straight as it can to the trigger.
Look at the picture of hold under Big Iron in Handloader, it is proper and he holds the little finger under the grip same as I do.
Then he makes a mistake and says the grip allows the gun to pivot in the hand. He has a tight grip, the right hold and that PREVENTS roll.
Never make the mistake of letting them roll to get the hammer closer to cock the gun again. Let the gun raise your arms.

Lefty SRH
04-29-2012, 09:15 AM
I own/hunt/shoot heavy loads with the .45colt SBH Bisley Hunter and its a tack driver. Personally I don't like the regular plow handles, the recoil is very uncomfortable. As mentioned before your best advice is to shoot a Bisley grip frame to make sure you like it.
Some complain about the middle knuckle getting beat, I don't have that problem.

white eagle
04-29-2012, 09:32 AM
for me its the Bisley grip frame over the Blackhawk
unless you have small hands
as far as cartridge selection its hands down 44 mag
good luck

44man
04-29-2012, 09:44 AM
for me its the Bisley grip frame over the Blackhawk
unless you have small hands
as far as cartridge selection its hands down 44 mag
good luck
I have very large hands but my knuckle is large from archery and getting it beat with the wrong grips to the point of blood flying.
My knuckle measures 1-1/8" across. You do NOT want to stick it behind a trigger guard.
I even had to make a new lever for my MOA, factory levers and loops are just like a Bisley. You can see the difference that lets me shoot it.

gray wolf
04-29-2012, 09:57 AM
No expert here, but I am involved with loading and shooting a new black hawk bisly hunter. I absolutely love the pistol, The first shot from it bit my middle finger just a tad, No blood and not much to do about anything.
I soon found out to hold the pistol with a firm grip, I found that if my middle finger did not migrate foreword it did not make contact with the trigger guard.
No more problem. For me ! I love the looks and feel of the bisly style grip.
Look at them both and heft them both in your hand.

papalobster
05-02-2012, 10:30 AM
I have the Bisley Hunter in 44 mag. I have giant hands, and my previous SBH was a nice shooter, but left my knuckle quite sore after an extended session. I picked up a set of stocks fromhttp://www.collinscraftgrips.com/index.php made 1/2 inch longer to accomodate my paw.

It's very pleasant to shoot now, even with full power loads. Accuracy is on par with my SBH 7.5" as well. But the Bisley just fits and feels better.

Snyd
05-03-2012, 03:20 PM
Bisley for me. I found early on that I was "over gripping" (for lack of a better term) and would smack my knuckle. I have no probs with it now that I don't "over grip" it. Mines a 45 colt and I shoot 355wfns at 1200fps. It's a tackdriver. Someone said you MUST reload if you get the 45 Colt. Not true. Many outfits load "Ruger Only" ammo. The biggest problem is finding one, plow handle or bisley.

Muskyjerk
05-04-2012, 11:15 AM
something about a big 45 has alway interested me.

I bought the 44 because I got a deal, and waited for a 45 to show up. good luck on a bisley 45 thats going to run you 1500 easy..

my 45 seems finished better, both metal and wood finish. I also like the thump of the 45 vs the crack of a 44. but looks like I am keeping both..

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c382/muskyjerk/1334971603.jpg