PDA

View Full Version : Mountain turkey

04-28-2012, 04:47 PM
Until now, not a good turkey season for me. I thought I was going to have to change my signature to poor poor pitifull me. Shot this bird while staying at my brother in laws in the NC mountains.

FISH4BUGS
04-28-2012, 06:30 PM
We have an average of 30-35 turkeys come morning and night to feed in the spring and winter. We put out cracked corn for them.
Now that mating season is over, and the females are sitting on their nests, the females are not coming around, and we only have 4 or 5 young jakes and one lonely female to visit morning and evening.
For some reason. there is still ONE male that is constantly strutting his stuff.....even with the other four males. I am beginning to wonder about his sexual orientation.......
May 1st is opening day for turkeys here. One bearded male is the limit. I hope these guys make it through the season OK. They have kind of become our daily visitors.....can't really say they are pets, but they are here a lot. Looking forward to the babies visiting in late July with their moms.
Good luck boys........stay safe.......don't believe those hunters when they call you..........

gray wolf
04-28-2012, 07:47 PM
Nice going,

Yum, YUM

MtGun44
04-28-2012, 11:16 PM
I had one strutting in my driveway when I drove in this afternoon. He stopped and
started strolling away - following a hen before I could get the camera on him.

Good looking bird - and difficult as all get out to hunt successfully.

Bill

leftiye
04-29-2012, 02:04 PM
Also known as Utahns.

FISH4BUGS
04-29-2012, 04:48 PM
There are a lot of them, but they seem to be able to tell the difference between a hunter making turkey like noises, and the real thing. They ARE hard to hunt.
They really ARE interesting birds to watch and get to know their behavior.
The new crop should show up sometime in mid to late July.

Crawdaddy
04-30-2012, 01:13 PM
Nice bird. Congrats.

Jal5
04-30-2012, 03:09 PM
If deer had the eyesight of a turkey we would kill way fewer deer. Turkeys can give me fits at times! Joe

Firebricker
04-30-2012, 03:21 PM
good looking gobbler what kind of length on the beard and spurs ? FB

FISH4BUGS
05-01-2012, 03:20 PM
Today is opening day in New Hampshire. The turkeys clearly got the memo. None of the regular visitors has been around. Probably won't see them for a few weeks.
Man they are some smart birds.

square butte
05-01-2012, 03:41 PM
Opening day in vermont as well. Heavy rain with one break about 5:45 to 6:00 am. Three toms gobbling for about 5 minutes until it stated to rain again. Nothing more the rest of the morning. Quiet walking though. We"ll see what tomorrow morning brings.

Doc_Stihl
05-01-2012, 04:59 PM
Opening day in NH isn't till the 3rd for regular season.....(Although this last weekend was youth weekend)

I'll be in the woods at 0'dark thirty on Thursday morning. I hope to take the wife out Friday morning for her first ever turkey hunt.

Can't wait!

WARD O
05-01-2012, 06:33 PM
I've heard it said that if the turkey had the scenting ability of the deer we'd probably never kill one since they already have great eyesight and hearing.

Nice Bird - They are always a trophy in my opinion.

ward

05-02-2012, 05:50 AM
good looking gobbler what kind of length on the beard and spurs ? FB

9" beard, 7/8" spurs. I'll be posting a story about that hunt and my mountain hunting experience.

Firebricker
05-03-2012, 11:49 AM
Nice bird. I'll be sure to read the story when you post it. I have had deer hunting buddys tell me " oh I see turkey all the time don't look hard to kill to me" Like I tell them wait till your trying to reverse nature by getting a Tom to come to you. Then call set up 30 min later one gobbles 20 yards from you and you bout pee your pants lol Then your hooked ! FB