PDA

View Full Version : 7/8" dies in a Tru Line

KCSO
04-10-2007, 12:16 PM
I see a fellow on gunbroker is selling a tool head for the Tru Line Jr with standard 7/7" holes. Has anyone tried one of these? My old Tru Line has marginal leverage and I can't see that this press would be up to any full length sizing with 7/8" dies. It's a handy press for decapping and priming chores, but even 38 special shells are a pain to resize, and rifle shells are neck size only.

TAWILDCATT
04-10-2007, 01:50 PM
Yrs ago I had one hole bored and tapped for 7/8 I use it for carbide pistol sizing.
the press will not take rifle full length sizing.I have 5 truline jr presses dedicated to
380/32acp/32 long/30-06 neck only and 9 mm.(all 5 have one hole 7/8) This job was done to use the press with 7/8 die sets.not to resize rifle.

3sixbits
04-10-2007, 02:43 PM
I did all four holes on my Tru-Line Jr. about 25 years ago and wish someone had that head then, it looks like it is vary well made. Useing a carbide sizing die and lubed cases you will fly through pistol brass.

LAH
04-10-2007, 03:08 PM
OK guys, what a Truline worth? A shop near here has one...........Creeker

KCSO
04-10-2007, 04:47 PM
Well you talked me into it. I'm going to get one for my Tru Line.

dromia
04-10-2007, 04:58 PM
I've got one, used to use it for .357 and 44/40 when we had pistols.

Poor leverage as has been stated but neck sizing and lubing meant it it wasn't too hard.

Bought a set of 45 - 70 dies to give it a new lease of life, but that is a neck size too far for it I'm afraid. :(

charlie / sw mo
04-10-2007, 11:29 PM
iv bought 2 of the toolheads from a fellow in ohio ( i think) first saw his ad on e bay but dont like to go thru ebay so contacted him direct. he sells them for right around 50.oo. while i have set up the presses with them-i have not as yet decided what caliber ill load with them. i necksize everything i shoot so they should work ok. i try to set up a press for each cartridge i load for so i dont have to fool around changeing dies. if anyone wants this guys e-mail address let me know and ill see if he wants it posted.

scrapcan
04-11-2007, 10:29 AM
Just to clarify that there are two types of Truline Jr. presses. The old style and the newer style with a little better leverage. If you go to the Antique reloading tool collectors site and do a search for truline jr. you should find a thread that shows the variations.

forum member that started the post is Ken Neeld and it is under the 20th century loading tools section. Hope this link will get you to the posting.

And as such if you guys are interested in Antique Reloading tools you should think about joining the group. I found the way with proper guidance from Floodgate. It has been a good step to take.

http://www.antiquereloadingtools.com/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=8&post=78#POST78

Pepe Ray
04-11-2007, 11:00 AM
Hey Manleyj !
I used your link . Very interisting. Liked it. Tried to join. NO DICE! Gave me an explanation full of teknogibberish. I'm an ol dub. Do you have a link that would allow me to get to the right place? TIA. Pepe Ray

KCSO
04-11-2007, 11:35 AM
I gave $25.00 at a yard sale for my last Jr and it was in the box with instructions. I have seen well used ones run from $10 to $50. Iwouldn't go over 35 or 40 myself. If you get a truline you might want to drill out the top two screw hoiles for bolts and BOLT it to the bench with some good big washers over the top of the cast base. I have not had real good luck with screws holding over the long term.

floodgate
04-11-2007, 12:24 PM
Pepe Ray:

E-mail the Secretary, Tom Quigley, at <tlqmlq@kalama.com>, tell him your problem and say "Doug" sent you; he'll fix you up. We need more posters there, especially on the mid-20th Century tools. The "antique" cut-off is supposed to be 50 years back - 1957 currently - but a lot of the other members are stuck in the 19th century, where the tools are really pricey. Ken and others are trying to capture the 20th-Century info while memories are still alive.

The "Ideal Tools" section has a lot of good stuff, too. See you there.

Doug Elliott / floodgate

floodgate
04-11-2007, 12:43 PM
Pepe Ray:

E-mail the Secretary, Tom Quigley, at <tlqmlq@kalama.com>, tell him your problem and say "Doug" sent you; he'll fix you up. We need more posters there, especially on the mid-20th Century tools. The "antique" cut-off is supposed to be 50 years back - 1957 currently - but a lot of the other members are stuck in the 19th century, where the tools are really pricey. Ken and others are trying to capture the 20th-Century info while memories are still alive.

The "Ideal Tools" section has a lot of good stuff, too. See you there.

Doug Elliott / floodgate

scrapcan
04-11-2007, 01:02 PM
Pepe Ray,

floodgate sent you in the doomed direction. You think this place gets you into trouble, wait till you have another house to goto. And it directly relates to reloading and cast bullets.

Doug, Hvae you had a chance to work with the files? I have been wondering if they are working for you. And I still have the LeClerc apart waiting for me to get in gear and take some pictures.

floodgate
04-11-2007, 08:40 PM
Jeremy:

The text translations seem to work fine; I haven't gotten into the spreadsheets yet.

Many thanks for all your help on this. I'm ready to help on the LeClerc assembly and tuneup, any time you're ready.

Guys: "manleyjt" has been a real help converting old "MSWorks" files from my former PC to formats I can access on my newer iMac G5. But don't swamp him with stuff all at once! [The "LeClerc" is a NOT an obscure version of the Mannlicher-Berthier, but a Canadian spinning wheel made by a firm whose primary product is church furnishings; they also make a wide range of weaving looms. Too many hobbies!!!]

floodgate

charlie / sw mo
04-11-2007, 10:26 PM
I see a fellow on gunbroker is selling a tool head for the Tru Line Jr with standard 7/7" holes. Has anyone tried one of these? My old Tru Line has marginal leverage and I can't see that this press would be up to any full length sizing with 7/8" dies. It's a handy press for decapping and priming chores, but even 38 special shells are a pain to resize, and rifle shells are neck size only.

as i said in another post i have both of the truline jr presses and have put the 7/8 toolhead on them. the fellow who makes them dose a good job even to the color. his e-mail is meegosh@gmail.com
charlie in sw mo