PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Contender issue

Alchemist
04-27-2012, 09:27 PM
Calling all Contender gurus...

I have a 'tender that has worked fine with previous barrels. I recently obtained a lightly used .22 lr barrel. I looked it over and everything seemed fine. The only difference I could see in the barrel from my other barrels was a solid (not split) locking lug. This being my first rimfire barrel, I didn't think much of it. I mounted the barrel-no problem. Shut the action-no problem. Tried to open action-BIG PROBLEM!! :sad: This beast will NOT open!! I've tried everything...removed hinge pin-won't open. Wiggled, pushed, pulled, pleaded and thought about crying (but didn't) and nothing worked.

Called T/C tech support (hardy har har) :groner: with the expected result. So before I send it back to the factory, I decided to consult knowledgable folks here and search for T/C gunsmiths (my next step if this doesn't pan out).

Anybody run into this before?? How do I get this thing open??

TIA

ubetcha
04-27-2012, 09:35 PM
Try contacting Mike Bellm at www.bellmtcs.com.I think they specialize in T/Cs and may be able to help

30calflash
04-27-2012, 11:56 PM
T/C changed the innards on the Contenders some time ago. The old barrels don't fit the new frames and vice/versa without a refit at the factory. I think the stainless barrels do not fit a std. frame. They probably still offer the refit.

FWIW I think you can ID the difference in barrels by the style of the lettering in the rollmark. Semi-script style were older barrels. Sounds screwy but every barrel I purchased based on that was never a problem on my older Contender frame.

subsonic
04-28-2012, 12:00 AM
Take the action apart and it will come off. It's a PITA, but I have the t-shirt.

Cheap Trick
04-28-2012, 12:21 AM
Use a rubber mallet as described in this thread.
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/topic,255754.0.html

ratboy
04-28-2012, 05:06 PM
X2

Take the action apart and it will come off. It's a PITA, but I have the t-shirt.

once the trigger assembly is out the barrel will come out. make sure you tag the barrel with a note so you dont try it again. i do it at least once a year.

stubshaft
04-30-2012, 07:24 AM
The early solid bolt barrels without the step on the lug is not compatible with the newer frames. It will not work in some of the gen 1 frames either.

canyon-ghost
04-30-2012, 09:53 PM
PM sent, let me know how you get along on it.

Ron

PS: TCs take a set of straight pin punches (automotive style).

Alchemist
05-11-2012, 10:20 PM
Finally got the barrel off. Just got time to work on it today. It's been a hectic two weeks.

ratboy
05-12-2012, 10:24 PM
thats good that you got the barrel out. remember what tools you used and take them with you to the range if you can so it wont ruin a day of shooting. i know it seems silly but i always forget to test a barrel somehow and get to the range and then wonder why i didnt bring the punches.

Alchemist
05-18-2012, 10:12 PM
Another call today to T/C tech support...and ordered the split locking bolts (2 sets) and springs. When I asked if they were ready for my CC# they said they would send 'em for free. I was impressed with the help I got this time, as I expected to pay for the parts.