PDA

View Full Version : A Tale of Two Marlins (and a Mauser)

robroy
04-27-2012, 07:46 PM
Two Marlins and a Mauser followed me home from Tim's today. The First is a 336A in 30-30 serial# G50xxx. The finish ain't the best but the bore looks good. Next is a Glenfield model 30A also in 30-30. Some one mounted a Tasco 3x9 on it but it's short and sweet any way.

The whole reason I went to Tim's was to trade a FN 98 rifle I had for a waffenfabrik Steyr model 1912 (another 98 mauser) without barrel or stock just because I didn't feel like finding and setting up my barrel vice and action wrench. Go Figure.

While Ranch Dog is waiting to get 311 165 molds back in stock I'm going to try what ever I can scrounge up to feed the two new kids. Maybe I'll get something else if I find a real winner on the Boollit Exchange.

richhodg66
04-27-2012, 09:12 PM
Good score, I'm glad I got one of the Ranch Dog molds before he ran short, I just cast my first batch last weekend and hope to shoot some next weekend. Great mold by the way, and this coming from a guy with rather nasty bias towards Lee molds.

Mind if I ask what you got the Marlins for? I recently picked up a Revelation Marling 336 and took it home for $260 out the door, which I felt was fair but not exactly a steal. Curious about what they go for in other people's neck of the woods.

robroy
04-27-2012, 09:31 PM
richhodg66 I think you probably did pretty good. The rifle was $475 and the carbine was $300. I'd been looking for a 336A on line and by the time I paid shipping and a FFL fee, I would have been within a few dollars of that price anyway. Besides I didn't want to wait anymore.

richhodg66
04-27-2012, 09:54 PM
The only Marlin lever gun (besides my 39A) I've owned is an ancient pre micro groove .35 Remington, 24" barrel, perch belly forearm, half magazine. I love it and though a scoped bolt rifle will beat it handily on a bench rest, under field conditions the playing field levels out quite a bit. Rifles then were designed for people who could shoot., and this one is that way.

This Revelation I bought specifically to hunt with .30 caliber cast bullets. It wasn't in great shape, but at least had a nice piece of walnut and a great bore. I look forward to getting it to the range and hope it shoots as well as I think it will.