PDA

View Full Version : Gas checks won't crimp on

ripper90
04-27-2012, 05:53 PM
I have a box of 30 cal. gas checks in a plain box. I don't know who made them but they are pretty old. I can not get them to stay on my Lee cast bullets. Does anyone have an idea why? I would make someone a deal on them if they can use these. There are probably a 1000 in the box and I would sell them for $15.00 shipped.
Ripper90

pistolman44
04-27-2012, 06:17 PM
They are probably old Lyman brand. I had the same problem until I switched to Gator brand. They crimped on tight.

DLCTEX
04-27-2012, 07:43 PM
Anneal them and they'll probably stay tight.

Ben
04-27-2012, 10:54 PM
Have you measured the g/c shank dia. of your bullet.

Once you have that measurement, check the dia. of the inside of the g/c, you'll probably find your problem once you do this.

Ben

MGySgt
05-01-2012, 10:19 AM
Years ago - casters with the Lyman checks would take a chisle and press down on the cup side of the check in a cross fashion. this would raise a point on the inside of the check that would grab and hold to the GC shank of the boolit. The raised portion on the outside would be smoothed out during the sizing operation.

they also put a touch of crazy glue on the inside of the cup and glue the GC to the boolit base.

Both work and the checks would not fly off on thier way to the target.

3006guns
05-02-2012, 11:54 AM
Lyman used to recommend a small bit of lube, placed on the inside of the cup before seating/sizing. This works, assuming the check will be secured in the case neck but I sure wouldn't try it with the check down in the shoulder area!

Also, if you use Krazy Glue (or some other adhesive) make up a few trial boolits first. After they dry a few minutes, deliberately try to pry the checks off. I was suprised to find that quite a few of them came off despite the glue. The glue itself was fresh, so I can only assume the lead itself is too smooth for a good "grip".

MBTcustom
05-05-2012, 08:15 AM
I have tried vintage lyman checks with vintage molds. The checks were made of thin material. That made them undersized and unable to grab the boolit shank correctly. My conclusion is that the company never had it totally together and we are very fortunate to have more educated options in this enlightened age. Lyman has since fixed there checks and ruined their molds. Hornady makes a solid product that always works. Also people seem to be having very good luck with PatMarlins checkmakers. Accurate molds will make you whatever you want and it will be right the first time. Dont mess with old, busted stuff unless it works too good to quit (I have quite a few vintage Lyman molds that I would sooner lose the guns I use with that boolit, than the mold itself)

runfiverun
05-06-2012, 03:28 AM
lyman just repackages hornady checks.
that's why they cost more.

MBTcustom
05-07-2012, 03:47 PM
lyman just repackages hornady checks.
that's why they cost more.
Ouch! Are you serious? Whats your source? That is freaking hilarious!

Reload3006
05-07-2012, 05:23 PM
I have nothing to back it up but have heard the same thing Lyman repackages Hornady checks. ?

shotman
05-07-2012, 06:05 PM
gator will stay on. they will stay on your finger. Best and cheapest out there
Oh ask Lyman they will tell you ---that why they mark them up 20%