PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Dies Suggestions

novalty
04-27-2012, 02:36 PM
Well as a "plinker" by nature, I started loading over a year ago, loading straight-wall handgun calibers. Started with 45acp, then 9mm luger, and now 38/357. Have RCBS carbide dies for all and have been very happy with the consistency and quality. I have been really hesitant about necked down cases, so haven't started reloading rifle yet. Lately, I've gotten the itch to load some 25-35 Winchester to shoot in my father's Winchester 94--have no idea why, as I generally don't care for lever-guns. Maybe because it was handed down from my grandfather, and hoping it might have less recoil than 30-30. The only other rifle caliber I have is .223 Remington for the Mini-14 that was handed down to me from my other grandfather. Been looking around and Hornady's New Dimension rifle dies seem to get a lot of good reviews for their seating die (plus they have the 100 free boolits promotion for buying a set of dies.) In looking for rifle dies, I see some are offered in 3-die sets (Redding), and most are in 2. As a "plinker," and having 2 small kids, I don't have tons of money to buy $100+++ dollar sets, and I don't think the benefits would add to my lack of shooting ability. However, I wouldn't mind buying individual dies to get quality products that are going to last, as I am not in a mad rush to start reloading--it wouldn't bother me to buy a quality sizer then save up to buy a quality seater. So would I be better off to buy a set like Hornady's ($43+-) or Redding's ($83+-), or another companies, or just buy separate sizing and seating? Any thought, suggestions, ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Larry Gibson
04-27-2012, 03:11 PM
I suggest for the Mini14 .223 you get the RCBS X-Die. Adjusted correctly you will get longer case life and you will not have to trim as the case won't stretch like with the other FL dies. Get the standard X-die as the SB or the "AR X-die is not needed with the Mini14.

For the 25-35 get the RCBS or Hornady, whichever is the least expensive for you as both are good dies. You might want an Lyman M-die if cast bullets are going to be used.

Larry Gibson

novalty
04-27-2012, 03:50 PM
For the 25-35, I'll probably just stick with Hornady 117gr. rn bullets, as I don't imagine I will be shooting any excessive volume. The one piece of reloading equipment that is really missing from my bench is a trimmer. Guessing one of those is in my future.

novalty
04-27-2012, 10:41 PM
Looking at some more .223 dies. Am wondering if the RCBS X-die and the Forster Bench Rest Seater would be a good combo.

For the 25.35 I am thinking just the Hornady New-Dimensions, as I wouldn't load as much of this cartridge as I would the .223.

Thinking of getting a L.E. Wilson Case Trimmer as well.

Larry Gibson
04-28-2012, 12:18 AM
Am wondering if the RCBS X-die and the Forster Bench Rest Seater would be a good combo.

Well now that certainly is a very good combo, I happen to have that myself. However, unless you get a very, very, very good shooting varmint or target .223 the Forster Bench rest seater is not needed. Your Mini14 will not be able to tell the difference between bullets eated in that die vs a regular RCBS die. The standard seater that will come with the X-die set will be more than sufficient. The RCBS X-die set will be less expensive also.

Larry Gibson

MT Chambers
04-28-2012, 12:43 AM
Some benchrest seaters/in-line seaters allow you to seat cast bullets without even belling the case mouth, increasing case life.

1hole
04-29-2012, 07:09 PM
"Any thought, suggestions, ideas would be greatly appreciated! "

Yeah, any common die set will do anything you can expect to accomplish for either rifle.

You know you aren't a BR loader or shooter, you know your nice old rifle and it's bullets aren't target quality, nor is the Mini 14 - for sure! Anything more costly than the least expensive dies you can find would be a waste of money because they couldn't add a thing to the effective quality of your reloads. I don't know if Lee makes dies for the 25-35 but I wouldn't hesitate to get 'em if they do. Ditto ammo for the Mini Ruger.

The old, low pressure cartridges are fun to shoot but they rarely stretch much. The X dies ask us to trim cases back some 20-30 thou before using the die, meaning we have to trim them quite a bit even before starting. Few of us ever stretch our cases that much without tossing 'em anyway so I see no reason to pay for a costly die for a 'get nothing back' thing.

novalty
04-30-2012, 01:31 PM
Thanks 1hole for the additional insight. I am thinking of just getting the RCBS X-Die Set for the .223 as I shoot that more frequently, and don't have a huge stash of brass (probably just shy of 300). Not sure if .223 Rem. stretches much, if they don't then maybe just a Hornady set. For the 25-35 Lee does offer their Pacesetter set for $29.99, but think I will still go with the Hornady $43.99, as they have the "100 Bullets Promotion" with their dies, which seems like it would be a better value. If I could eliminate the need for a case trimmer that would be nice, my only concern is that I saw the price of 25-35 WCF brass :holysheep, and would like to not have to throw it away.

trixter
05-01-2012, 06:14 PM
I sure have been happy with my Lee die sets for all my guns.

TJF1
05-01-2012, 06:53 PM
Can`t go wrong with lee
terry

1hole
05-01-2012, 07:41 PM
"Not sure if .223 Rem. stretches much,.."

No cartridge, of itself, stretches much. MOST stretching for all bottle neck cartridges is caused by reloaders excessively FL resizing and setting the shoulders back too much.