PDA

View Full Version : FreeChex III

tchepone
04-27-2012, 02:28 PM
I sent my order and sample bullets to Charlie, for a FreeChex III, in .40 caliber, on the 21st of April 2012. The tool arrived today, along with checks made by the tool on my sample bullets. The results are great! The service was absolutely fantastic. We had continuous contact during the process and he answered all my questions promptly.
I can't wait to start turning out gas checks for my .401 Herter Magnum. It is a super looking tool.

With this kind of service I can't help but order additional calibers in the future. If anyone is waffling about getting a check making tool, do it. You won't be disappointed! I highly recommend ordering from him.....Gil :awesome:

Pigslayer
04-27-2012, 04:28 PM
I have corresponded with Charlie a number of times & I not only find him incredibly bright but also a man of the utmost conviction. He's a straight up guy.

Dan Cash
04-27-2012, 04:57 PM
Sounds like Charlie is up to snuff on doing business and production. Glad to hear it.

Bullet Caster
04-27-2012, 06:15 PM
What did the Free ChexIII run you? I'm interested in ordering one for .30 caliber. BC

TCFAN
04-27-2012, 11:22 PM
I sent a E mail to charlie to see if he had a freecheck 3 in 357. He sent a message back that he had some about finished. I then ask how much it would cost and if he would take a personal check.He replied 100.00 dollars and a check would be fine.
I then replied to him that I would put a check in the next days mail.

In 6 days from the first E mail I had my freechec 3 in hand and had 1200 check made before I knew what was going on.

It is a great gas check maker and charlie is a great person to do business with. I don't know why anybody would want any other kind.....Terry

cast-n-blast
04-28-2012, 09:54 AM
What is Charlie's contact info ?

yonky
04-28-2012, 10:25 AM
codarnall@yahoo.com

edsmith
04-28-2012, 11:14 AM
you will be pleased with charlies tool, it is first rate, one moving part.

cast-n-blast
04-28-2012, 11:57 AM
Thanks, yonky !

kbstenberg
04-28-2012, 08:25 PM
I talked to Charlie tonight and ordered my second Freechex. Both times he sent his device before receiving my payment. Trust is just his way.
Kevin

truckmsl
04-29-2012, 03:14 PM
I've got a Freechex 3 set up on a drill press and it is unbelievable how fast you can crank out checks - as fast as you can pull the handle.

I've found that if I hit mine with a spray of One Shot case lube occasionally it runs a lot smoother. Fantastic product and all in one step.

yonky
05-15-2012, 02:19 AM
we dont have case lube in the uk,what is it?
i use wd40 seams to keep everything running smoothly,also putting some on a rag and applying to the strip also helps.ian

tjones
05-15-2012, 07:39 AM
we dont have case lube in the uk,what is it?
i use wd40 seams to keep everything running smoothly,also putting some on a rag and applying to the strip also helps.ian
I used Castor Oil for years for case lube. Then more sophisticated modern stuff like teflon type grease in a tooth paste tube etc. When case lube is required for sizing brass you will not get away with anything like ordinary oils.
tj

TCFAN
05-15-2012, 12:16 PM
I use some stuff called Original Mink Oil Compound for case lube and also for the FC3. Put a little on my fingers and wipe on the aluminum strip. keeps everything running smooth..............Terry

Pigslayer
05-15-2012, 03:30 PM
A long time ago I bought some Horanaday case lube in a small tub. I let it sit for years on the window shelf. Not too long ago I needed some lube for my press rams & the bars that slide on my two Lyman #45 lubersizers. Nothing better! I wish they made it in a liquid form so I could put it on my case lube pad. At times I put it on my 7MM Rem Mag cases and it makes sizing them real easy. It should work well for lubrication when using the FreeChex III.

JKH
05-15-2012, 04:44 PM
That would be Hornady Unique case lube which is essentially the same as mink oil paste for leather goods, it is a high quality lanolin product.

When I got one of Charlies first FC II tools that is what I reached for to lube it, nothing I tried after works as well and of course that is what lubes my FC III tools, beautiful thing is no petroleum distillates so zero possibility of primer or powder contamination.

Also, fancy this, its an awesome case lube and wipes off without any residue, I bought a 4oz tub in 1984 when I started reloading and literally have done in excess of 10,000 rounds, I have HALF of it still left! And as mentioned above I also use it to lube my press rams, pins, etc. When lubing cases I found that all I need is to just wipe my fingertip on it and sprdad it around the case with thumb and index finger and best yet I only need to lube every other case :)

Liquid form? Thats doable if you melt some down in a double boiler and mix it with 99% isopropyl rubbing alcohol and mix thoroughly, put it in a good spray bodel and shake thoroughly before use, I do my bulk case loading (500 to 1000 cases at a time) by using a similar formula but subbing castor oil, I prefer lanolin but it is much more expensive and only available via internet where I live, castor oil is great, albiet messy, and I quickly clean the cases several hundred at a time in a cheap plastic collander using NON clorinated brake cleaner.

Sorry to digress but Hornady Unique/mink oil paste/lanolin is a very versatile substance for reloaders I thought it may be usefull to someone :) I am also quite sure castor oil straight may work exceedingly well for lubing FC check tools as it also has a very high film strength like lanolin based lubes.

Jeff

gundownunder
05-20-2012, 08:00 AM
Would anybody happen to know if Freechex III can be made as a PB check? I have another PB check making tool on order for a 357 from another maker but will also need to get one made in 32 and possibly in a couple other calibers in future.

If you want a good case lube, try Joseph Liddy saddle dressing, I've used it on 32-20 and 222 brass and it provides all the slip you could possibly want.

Sagebrush7
05-20-2012, 03:40 PM
Would anybody happen to know if Freechex III can be made as a PB check? I have another PB check making tool on order for a 357 from another maker but will also need to get one made in 32 and possibly in a couple other calibers in future.

If you want a good case lube, try Joseph Liddy saddle dressing, I've used it on 32-20 and 222 brass and it provides all the slip you could possibly want.

You can take the FCIII in 50 S&W and make .458 ID checks for the .457-.463 bullets. You can also take the FCIII 450/454 and make swaging cups for .44 and 45 bullets. They end up about 1/4 tall when swaged. I guess that is the right term.

Three-Fifty-Seven
05-26-2012, 09:03 AM
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnVT/Guns/Picture8-1.png

Roger Ronas
05-26-2012, 10:09 AM
Loved the video, Thanks.
Question, I am new and ignorant so: What is that tool that you are using to seat the checks with?
Thanks
Roger

I had a few emails back and forth from Charlie . . . Then I ordered my .22 cal, in less than a week, it was at my house! [smilie=w:

I am a long distance over the road truck driver, and got home this week . . . started playing with it yesterday afternoon . . . I decided to make a jig for it to hold the die in place on my Harbor Freight Arbor Press . . . as I wanted to have the checks fall through into a container below . . . I had not seen anyone detail how they made theirs . . . so here is what I did . . .

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/FreeChexRig2.jpg

I took a 3/4" piece of pine, cut it 2.5" X 2.5", (hindsight 20/20 I should have made a bit bigger) and also a piece of 1/8" plate steel about the same size . . . drilled a 9/32" hole in the steel, a couple of 1/8" holes for the 2" drywall screws . . . and a couple of 3/16" fender washers . . . If I was doing it over again, I would probably just drill & tap the base plate, and screw down through the jig . . .
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/FreeChexRig1.jpg

I drilled a 5/8" hole in the wood, and ground off the tips of the drywall screws . . . the 5/8" hole was just a tad tight, I was able to work the FreeChex III in about 1/4 of the way by hand.
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/FreeChexRig3.jpg

Here is a video I shot with it in action, plus some ramblings . . . warning I have a massive allergy effecting me right now . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riChPiYBxvg :popcorn:

Here are the instructions I got with mine in PDF form:

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/Picture4-2.png
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/Picture5.png

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/Picture6-1.png
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/Picture7-3.png
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/Picture8-1.png

Three-Fifty-Seven
05-26-2012, 12:03 PM
groove.

Roger Ronas
05-26-2012, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the info

Capn Jack
05-26-2012, 09:52 PM
That press is a very soft cast iron, so I just drilled about 5/8" down into the base plate
for the cutter, then drilled on through for the checks to fall through. a 1/8" hole
for a pin keeps everything lined up.

Essentially we both did the same thing, just a different approach....:bigsmyl2:
http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac296/200400600/Press-2-1.jpg
http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac296/200400600/Press-1-1.jpg
http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac296/200400600/Press-3-1.jpg

tjones
05-27-2012, 12:37 PM
Pat's back up on the web. Move must be compete.

xacex
05-27-2012, 10:47 PM
I picked up a .30 cal free chex 3 about two month ago, and have punched out about 2000 checks so far. I had a problem finding the material that worked best to make them from, but a search of the forum, and a few phone calls later I was able to pick up a roll of roof flashing that is identical to the material sent with the tool. At first I was having some problems with it getting stuck in the down position, but once it was broke-in I haven't had any problems. I am thinking about getting another size, but haven't decided yet on which cal. .38 or .22?

tjones
05-28-2012, 01:20 AM
I picked up a .30 cal free chex 3 about two month ago, and have punched out about 2000 checks so far. I had a problem finding the material that worked best to make them from, but a search of the forum, and a few phone calls later I was able to pick up a roll of roof flashing that is identical to the material sent with the tool. At first I was having some problems with it getting stuck in the down position, but once it was broke-in I haven't had any problems. I am thinking about getting another size, but haven't decided yet on which cal. .38 or .22?

Short supply too I'd bet. Did see some on ebay a while back.

tjones
05-28-2012, 01:23 AM
That press is a very soft cast iron, so I just drilled about 5/8" down into the base plate
for the cutter, then drilled on through for the checks to fall through. a 1/8" hole
for a pin keeps everything lined up.

Essentially we both did the same thing, just a different approach....:bigsmyl2:
http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac296/200400600/Press-2-1.jpg
http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac296/200400600/Press-1-1.jpg
http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac296/200400600/Press-3-1.jpg

Nice! Soft meaning cheap Chinese iron?

Three-Fifty-Seven
05-28-2012, 07:29 AM
Fffff.

xacex
05-28-2012, 10:58 PM
I think you have PatMarlins (Pat Green) and Charlie Darnall (FreeChex) mixed up. Pat just moved, or is in the process of moving his shop out of the boonies, and sells on eBay ... FreeChex are listed on GunBroker ... They both have websites ...

Charlie (FreeChex) emailed me Saturday saying that he had two of the .380 FreeChex III that were not that popular that he had made ... I bought one for my 375 H&H Mag! If you want one use the email I have listed in the instructions above to contact him. Although I'm sure he could make another, it is just he doesn't usually stock that size.

It appears Charlie also sells his freechex on Ebay. He has them listed right now, and that is where I found mine a couple of months ago.

Sagebrush7
05-28-2012, 11:26 PM
It appears Charlie also sells his freechex on Ebay. He has them listed right now, and that is where I found mine a couple of months ago.

I am the one selling on Ebay for Charlie. I make a whopping $ 10.00. I ship mostly to my former check customers. Charlie had a falling out with EBay.

Love Life
05-29-2012, 12:25 AM
Man I wish I had the coin right now for that .357 freechex

xacex
05-29-2012, 03:49 AM
I am the one selling on Ebay for Charlie. I make a whopping $ 10.00. I ship mostly to my former check customers. Charlie had a falling out with EBay.

Thanks for providing me the opportunity to but one of these! Like I said in a earlier post it is working well. I tried several materials before I broke down and got the proper flashing. Still cant decide on the next caliber to purchase. I wish Charlie made a plane base .38/9mm.

yondering
05-30-2012, 12:09 AM
I sent my order and sample bullets to Charlie, for a FreeChex III, in .40 caliber, on the 21st of April 2012. The tool arrived today, along with checks made by the tool on my sample bullets. The results are great! The service was absolutely fantastic. We had continuous contact during the process and he answered all my questions promptly.
I can't wait to start turning out gas checks for my .401 Herter Magnum. It is a super looking tool.

Is this for a plain base .40 caliber, or a gas check style?

yonky
05-30-2012, 10:11 AM
I think you have PatMarlins (Pat Green) and Charlie Darnall (FreeChex) mixed up. Pat just moved, or is in the process of moving his shop out of the boonies, and sells on eBay ... FreeChex are listed on GunBroker ... They both have websites ...

Charlie (FreeChex) emailed me Saturday saying that he had two of the .380 FreeChex III that were not that popular that he had made ... I bought one for my 375 H&H Mag! If you want one use the email I have listed in the instructions above to contact him. Although I'm sure he could make another, it is just he doesn't usually stock that size.
Shaun, I have posted a video on YouTube showing my set up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_vi0tpB88M

Three-Fifty-Seven
05-30-2012, 04:56 PM
8888i

yonky
05-30-2012, 05:30 PM
Shaun, I tried doing it the same way as you and found that the wood was not a good option.drilling the arbor plate will make life so much easier.

Sagebrush7
05-30-2012, 05:37 PM

I have more than 25 of Charlies FCIII's. I am getting close to making 500,000 checks. Charlies tools are precision works of art. Don's think so try to make one!. There is only .002 distance between the cutter and top . It only takes a minute piece of material to make it slugguish or jamb. Dry silicone lube is great sprayed over a swipe of Felix lube will last for 250- 500 rounds. I stop and clean around the mandrel with a pin vise holding a small jewelers bit and blow out with air. The harder materials will leave behind dust. If you begin to make hair balls after many thousands of checks it is time to sharpen.

tchepone
06-01-2012, 12:29 PM
Is this for a plain base .40 caliber, or a gas check style?
Yondering:

Sorry for the delay answering. It is for a gas check type bullet, not plain base.

JKH
06-02-2012, 12:16 AM
Hey James!

You are so right about Charlies tools, my dad was a mechanical engineer and I learned a great deal from him and my grandfather was a master tool and die maker and pattern maker (I still have his extremely old machinest handbook as well as my dads library of engineering books, neat stuff!), with that I have been impressed from day one with the FC II, and especially with the FC III tools. Charlie is expert in metalurgy, heat treatment, shear strentgh, tensile strentgh and all other important aspects of designing and building a superior precision tool, this is amply born out by your significant experience with commercial production using FC III's, it is impossible for ANY other type check tool to be adapted to this use and none would survive the cyclic rate of your air actuators and certainly not the sheer # of cycles alone without severe wear and or breakage.

Even the most ardent hobbyist cast shooter here would not make and use one fifth the number of checks you have made in their entire lifetime, and you have made that amount in what? Two or three years? I guarantee it could not be done with any two stage check maker EVER.

So, anyone on the fence about which check making tool to buy need only consider James' considerable experience and success with Charlies FC III tools, really, why would anyone consider a two stage tool over a single stage that produces equal or better checks? The FC III design allows use in a loading press, arbor press, drill press and with care and ingenuity using a suitable non marring mallet and solid non marring surface while sitting in your recliner or by a campfire or even at the range, those feats are only possibke with the FC III design :) AND, how in the world could a two stage check maker be set up using air actuators such as James has?

Jeff

Sloffie
06-06-2012, 09:07 AM
I also want one of these, but I would like the FreeChex II. Yes it is slower, but I only need 20 gas checks at a time. Usually load maximum of 50 cartridges at a time. Thing is I need to consider cost of the system and FreeChex III is a bit pricey.

JKH
06-06-2012, 10:18 AM
Hey Sloffie,

The FC II tools work very well and can be used anywhere anytime, I have used mine while cruising down the highway in my Jeep, wifey pooh driving of course ;)

Last I knew Charlie still makes and sells them, they turn up for sale used on ocassion as well.

How many checks do you need and what calibers?

Jeff