PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Large Pistol Primers?

aus71383
04-10-2007, 02:37 AM
I went and bought some stuff today - H110 for the .44, Titegroup for all 3, and BlueDot (they were out of Longshot) for my .40 and .45 - they were out of small pistol primers, but i got a few thousand large pistol primers from winchester. they didn't have magnum or normal, they were all just magnum/normal. like on the box it says use them for both. i'm sure everyone deals with this all the time, but since it was my first time buying the stuff, it really threw me for a curve. do i need to get some cci large pistol primers to keep chamber pressures down? or will these work ok? i thought winchester was supposed to be good, but i also thought there was a difference between magnum and regular primers....maybe i'm rambling. anyhow, can someone explain this to me and how its going to effect/affect my loading? Thanks!

joeb33050
04-10-2007, 05:27 AM
I like Remington LP = 2 1/2 primers in LV cast bullet rifle loads, I think they are more accurate.
But, can't find them down here, and have been using Winchester LP primers from 30/30 to 45/70 and they are as accurate or almost as accurate as 2 1/2s.
I don't see any velocity difference, and suspect that your 44 will work fine with them.
I've loaded 44 magnum 429421 and Winchester LP primers with H110, Unique and Blue Dot without problems also, but I like 8.5 Unique, not a hot load. Maybe at or near maximum there's a difference. Work up and be careful.
joe brennan

Lloyd Smale
04-10-2007, 05:36 AM
winchesters are about half way between a std pistol and a mag pistol and will work good both ways. You should have a problem with pressure unless your on the ragged edge of pressures.

Drifter
04-10-2007, 06:37 AM
I've been using the Winchester magnum/normal primers for a while and have not had any problems at all. Should work for ya.
Drifter

aus71383
04-10-2007, 12:41 PM
i wish i had a chronograph...and a range i could use it on. thanks for the replies though, it does ease my worries some :)

LAH
04-10-2007, 03:15 PM
I hardly shoot anything but Winchester's in my sixguns, with any and all powder. No problems here..............Creeker

http://ourworld.cs.com/BHALSTE/creekerpics/Reloading/HPIM0389.JPG

aus71383
04-10-2007, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm just going to be careful and go with what i've got for now - i really don't want to do anything thats not in a book, but the primers i will switch around a bit and not worry too much about - just keep an eye on everything (except velocity of course).

dmftoy1
04-10-2007, 08:33 PM
FWIW I use those primers almost exclusively. The only time I had any problems was when I tried them with H110 and not enough crimp. I'm not sure if the problem was related to the lack of crimp or if they just don't light the H110 that well but I switched to Federal Magnum primers for H110 in that caliber and haven't had a problem since. (.50 S&W). I have been playing with H110 in .45LC and it seems to light just fine in my pistols. Possibly it's just that I'm better with crimping now?

Have a good one,
Dave

45r
04-15-2007, 09:10 AM
I wouldn;t use win primers with a gun that has a light trigger job.their cups are too hard for them and I've had misfires.I've gone to fed primers for guns with good trigger pulls.I watch the sights more than the target and a good trigger helps when you want tight groups.Other than their hard cups I like win large pistol primers.

targetshootr
04-15-2007, 06:10 PM
I only use WLPs in mine too. Federals are dandy but you have to turn them over in the primer plate and life is short enough as it is.

:Fire:

omgb
04-15-2007, 07:19 PM
Winchester is my go to primer, with Federal right behind. I' ve never tried Remington primers so I can't speak to them one way or the other. CCI are "so-so". They seem to have sloppy QC and sometimes are thicker or larger in diameter than they should be.

Now if I read one of these posts correctly, the gentleman was using LP primers in his 30-30 and 45-70. If so, I'd like to add my $.02 worth. I know some BPCR shooter who do this all of the time. BP seems to like a lighter primer mix. However, these guys frequently have to bush their fireing pins with a hardened materal to preven peening of the breech block. You see, LP primers are thinner than LR primers. When used in rifle cases, they set back under ignition and hammer the bolt face as they are driven backward under pressure. As a rule, if I wasn't shimming/bushing my bolt face, I wouldn't use LP primers in a rifle. That's my opinion, feel free to take it for what it cost you.

Taylor
04-16-2007, 07:17 AM
I have a small variety of different primers,the Winchester I can't get here,(not from my source anyway). Which I like better,than the CCI,I am becoming unhappy with them.Midsouth carries Remington,but I don't really understand their numbering system.I normally use Remington #11 for my muzzle loaders,don't like CCI caps at all. I thought about trying Remington,because I can't get the Winchester,but again I don't follow their numbers.Can someone make this easy?