PDA

View Full Version : Best wad for general purpose buckshot loads in 12 guage?

Ole
04-26-2012, 11:43 PM
I'm new to loading shotgun ammo, but not new to reloading. Just tossing around the idea of reloading buckshot loads for my shotgun because they run about $1 each. I don't shoot a ton of buckshot, but I think it would be something fun to experiment with.

I'm not looking for anything with a huge payload. A single bag of 250 wads would probably last me a good long while. So what's the best one to get for loading medium payload 2 3/4" shells with #4, #0, and #00 buckshot?

It seems like the Winchester wad (WAA12) that supports 1oz - 1 5/8oz loads might be a good place to start, but I'm basically shooting from the hip here and I'm anxious to hear what you guys would suggest.

Thanks.

sargenv
04-26-2012, 11:59 PM
9 - 00 weigh in at 1 1/8 oz.. 20 pellets of #4 buck is 1 1/16 or so.. and both will fit into the 1 1/8 oz wads.. You can load "tactical" at 1200 fps or you can load high velocity to 1400 fps..

220swiftfn
04-27-2012, 01:08 AM
You're probably going to want the Claybuster replacement of the Winchester WAA12R wad (and some 20ga fiber wads for in the shotcup to get the crimp right....)

Dan

35remington
04-27-2012, 10:55 AM
I cannot say there is a single "best" wad because that depends upon just what you want to load.

If you want maximum capacity in a readily available wad the Remington RP12 wad has a longer cup (to protect the pellets) and a short crush section. The WW12R equivalent from Claybuster also has a short crush section but the shotcup is not as large, leading to more buckshot bore scrub.....but it is indeed commonly used, especially in Lyman's data.

Thing is, though, that if you're looking to just practice, a 1 1/8 ounce capacity wad fits a typical load of 9 "0" buck in layers of three for a one ounce load, or the same number of #1 buck for a bit less than a 7/8 ounce load. These are economical on lead and easier on recoil loaded to the 1150 fps range. The charge would also be smaller than the typical 27 pellet #4 load when used with this wad; but the weight would also approximate 1 ounce.

9 "0" buck fit much better in most 1 1/8 ounce wads than 9 "00" buck do, as the fit laterally is rather tight. Just a comment based on experience.

20 #4 buck weigh a little less than 1 ounce; the weight is between 7/8 and 1 ounce, being closer to 7/8 ounce. 27 #4 buck equate to 1 1/4 ounces.

If you're practicing, fewer pellets aren't a handicap. More might be better for more serious use.

So, for practicality's sake I'd say the 1 1/8 ounce wad is the choice, whether it's the WAA12, the WT12, or its Claybuster or other brand equivalent.

However, if you want to experiment, and don't care if your handloads are economical or not, or light recoiling and miserly on lead, first figure out exactly how you want to load and how many pellets you plan on shooting and peruse some loading manuals to find what you need. If you want maximum capacity, and the most number of loads in a wide variety of hulls the Claybuster WAA12R clone is a good choice, with the catch that protection of the buckshot is less than it could be. If maximum capacity and shot protection is important, with fewer loads offered (but something you want can probably be found) then it's the RP12.

JIMinPHX
04-21-2013, 12:33 AM
I was loading 8 pieces of 00 buck in a WAA12 over green dot in those cheap Winchester hulls that I usually find around that spot where you & I went shooting north of my house. I think that the powder charge was either 18 or 18.5gr, but don't quote me on that until I get a chance to look back into my notes. That load gave me around 1,000fps, good patterns & mild recoil. I later used 6 pieces of 00 with WAA12SL (pink) wads & got an even more gentle shooting load.

When loading 00 in a shot cup, I stack them in pairs. That's 4 layers of 2 balls each for a total of 8 pieces of 00.

Those cheap hulls don't hold up very well. I loaded them once & then threw them away.

GabbyM
04-21-2013, 01:31 AM
I used to cut the shot cup petals off AA wads to load nine OO buck. Three layers of three.
Powder charge was WW540 speced for 1 1/4 OZ of shot. That is HS 6 now. Slow ball powder that ran over 1500 fps
with the 1 1/4 oz shot load. The OO buck would penetrate three layers of grain bin metal. I used the white wad meant for 1/18 oz loads. Charge weight of that slow ball powder was over 30 grains but it yielded very nice patterns with both #6 shot or OO buck. Recoil was what you'd expect from a 1,500 fps load. Although the much lighter OO buck load was far easier to hold onto than the 1 1/4 oz shot load. I'd highly recommend a big charge of slow burning powder. After that the less choke you have the better.

ddhotbot
04-21-2013, 04:28 PM
i have a lot of the flite control wads that came out of hornady 00b shells that we demilled. you cant buy these wads on the reloading market. i sell them for .06 cents each plus shipping . ddhotbot@hotmail.com thanks don

LUTNIT
04-22-2013, 01:26 AM
9 - 00 weigh in at 1 1/8 oz.. 20 pellets of #4 buck is 1 1/16 or so.. and both will fit into the 1 1/8 oz wads..
Buckshot leaves a lot more room between the pellets than smaller shot. I have never found a 1-1/8 oz wad meant for birdshot that can actually fit 1-1/8 oz of buckshot. I am using 1-3/8 oz wads to load 1oz of buckshot (8 pellet 00 buck).

Hogtamer
04-22-2013, 09:34 AM
I use the BPI Teflon wraps cut in half, placed over the short wads and buffer for 12 - OO pellets for a 1 1/2 oz load...bad news out of 2 3/4 shells but kick like a mule.

M27
04-22-2013, 06:48 PM
I don't have much experience reloading shot shell but from my few months experience I have come to these conclusions. Take these lightly as they are from someone near new to shotshell.

name brands > downrange > claybusters

many replacement wads where the original work great with slugs, the replacements will not work with slugs because they have ribs on the inside of the petals

I have found that federal wads tend to have a thicker bace and deform less

finally there are a lot of really cool loads here

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/loadoftheweekarchive.htm

seabat0603
04-30-2018, 05:37 PM
I use the BPI Teflon wraps cut in half, placed over the short wads and buffer for 12 - OO pellets for a 1 1/2 oz load...bad news out of 2 3/4 shells but kick like a mule.

:grin: If you can send me some load data I would appreciate it. I have remington 2 3/4 hulls, multiple wads, and I can fit 12, # 00 pellets in my hulls. Any help would be great!

MT Chambers
04-30-2018, 06:10 PM
I believe that a reloader should use the loads from a manual EXACTLY as written, same powder, same primer, same wad. I won't use a wad in any load unless it is tested and used in a particular load in a manual. Dif. wads provide dif. powder room in the case and not only could the crimp suck but loads could be unsafe, additionally some wads are made for tapered cases and some for straight wall cases.

Hogtamer
04-30-2018, 06:20 PM
seabat, a lot of loads under the bridge since then and here are a couple of things I've learned: # of pellets in load have nothing to do with # of pellets on target. HARD lead is best for good performance. One of the better 00 loads I found was in this old manual, the page 35. I use the Win hull version and 32 gr 800x version but there is data for Rem hulls too. The 800x version using 30 gr. should be ok. http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIREARMS/imr_reloading.pdf
The best I ever loaded is found here and every detail is important. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?313695-Buckshot-PERFECTION!

jmort
04-30-2018, 07:12 PM
"i have a lot of the flite control wads that came out of hornady 00b shells"

How did Hornady get Federal Flite Control Wads???

MOA
04-30-2018, 08:32 PM
Ya'll know this is a 6 year old thread right.

seabat0603
05-03-2018, 02:49 PM
Sometimes it takes a while to get an answer.