PDA

View Full Version : 9mm bullseye

red1027
04-26-2012, 11:03 PM
Ok so today I made a couple of rounds to try the cast boolits that I bought.

I am using 4.0 of Bullseye with 115 gr RN commercially cast boolit sized at .356.

Primer = CCI 500
Brass= Federal
OAL = 1.12

GOOD?BAD? what do you think?

wv109323
04-27-2012, 12:00 AM
I don't see anything wrong. The real proof is if they feed and function in the intended firearm.Four grains of Bullseye is close to the minimum load listed. The Lyman book, at my fingertips, lists the range of 3.8 to 4.9 grains of Bullseye with a cast 115 gn. bullet.
I mention that because you may need to up the powder charge to get the pistol to function with a light bullet (115 gn.). If not you are good to go.
Another word of information, while the diameter of .356 is the normal diameter for the 9mm, some pistols may shoot more accurately with .357 or .358 bullets depending on actual bore diameter. Now the thing to do is put some lead down range and enjoy your reloads.

Bullet Caster
04-27-2012, 12:26 AM
Either that or slug your bore. That will definitely provide you with the information you need to make a size determination. My little 9mm C9 slugged at .356 so I used 4.7 gn. of BE for some 115 gn. FMJ. Worked like a charm.

However, for cast boolits in the 124 to 125 gn. I lessen the load down to 4 gn. of BE. I did load some 121 gn. with 4.5 gn. BE but haven't shot 'em yet. Also my little C9 is rated +P+ so I think I have a little more leeway than most. BC

Larry Gibson
04-27-2012, 11:58 AM
That load of 4 gr Bullseye has been my "go to" load with 115 - 125 gr cast in the 9mm for many, many years. I have shot that load through a lot of different 9mm handguns and sub guns. For many years I blissfully through ignorance sized all my 9mm cast bullets at .356 and lubed with the old black graphite Lyman lube, Javelina and or other 50/50 lubes like Tamerac. I never had a problem with accuracy or leading with my own cast loads. I also shot lots and lots of commercial cast and did have some leading issues with some that have the typical hard wax lube. Most of them shot and functioned fine. Now of course I "know" better and size my 9mm bullets larger with .358 or .357 being the norm. I also lube them with Javelina or BAC nowadays and they also shoot fine with no leading and accuracy no better or worse than the .356 sized bullets.

Alloy is important and I like to use WWs +2 % tin as it will cast extremely well and is hard enough that the bullets don't get damaged from hitting the feed ramps and cause malfunctions. Oal depends on the chamber/throat, the magazine and the feed angle required for the particular bullet nose configuration.

Yours looks like a good load to me. What make of bullets? What firearm?

Larry Gibson

red1027
04-27-2012, 10:53 PM
The bullets are made by a company by the name of Friendswood Bullet Co. They are from Friendswood,Texas near Houston. They were recommended to by in another forum so I figured I gave them a shot. Price is right around what most other sell theirs. Shipping however took forever. I am about 8 hours away and it took a week and a half for me to get my order!

I went to the range after work today and shot them from a MPA 9mm Defender with a barrel extension. They shot very well. At about 10 yrds the five rounds that I shot, touched each other.

Roger

Larry Gibson
04-28-2012, 12:22 AM
Roger

That's called; good to go:D

Larry Gibson