PDA

View Full Version : Reloader 15 reduced AR loads

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
04-26-2012, 10:35 AM
Hi Guys and Ladies,

I am shooting the Saeco #221 (?) 60 grain gas checked RN boolit through my .223 AR (16" carbine 1-9") twist. My load is right at 19.0 grains and it shoots well, no leading, feeds reliably, and is accurate. My only problem is that I have some unburnt powder kernals in my barrel and action. I haven't had any chambering issues yet, but just wondered if I used a filler (ie, dacron, lint from the dryer, etc) if I would have a more complete burn. I know the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", but just want to make the unburnt kernals go away. I have never used fillers before so I figured I would ask the experts. Thanks in advance!!

Larry Gibson
04-26-2012, 10:52 AM
The use of a dacron filler should greatly reduce the amount of unburned kernels left. At the lower pressure of your load the RL15 is not burning efficiently. I suggest dropping back to 17 gr and use a 1/2 gr dacron filler and work back up in 1/2 gr increments until the velocity, functioning and accuracy are what you want. It probably will be around 18 gr. The dacron filler will increase the ignition and psi of the RL15 and increase burning efficiency there by reducing the amount of unburned kernels left. However, I have not yet used RL15 in the 223 with cast so how much the filler reduces the unburned kernels remains to be seen. On the other hand I use RL19 and the dacron filler works well there with minimal unburned kernels left. There most often will be some left with all slower burning powders at the psi levels of cast bullet loads.

Give the dacron filler a try and let us know the results with the RL15 powder? If you want to know the "how" of a dacron filler use I explain it in the sticky "filler" at http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=109280

Larry Gibson

1845greyhounds
04-26-2012, 10:03 PM
I load 23.5grs of R15 in WW case with 75gr Hornady jacketed match bullets or 80gr Sierras for High Power. With those loads, R15 leaves a lot of powder residue. Varget and 4895 burn a LOT cleaner and have similar burn rates to R15.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
04-27-2012, 08:15 AM
Mr. Gibson,

Thank you so much for your detailed reply! Lots of great info there. I will try your suggestions and report back.

I have tried H4895, with the same charge, IIRC, and remember having less unburnt kernals. BUT, I have 7# of RL15 that I would like to use.

I will report back as soon as I have time to do some testing. Thanks for the help!