PDA

View Full Version : Multiple cavity molds?

jabilli
04-26-2012, 08:13 AM
Howdy folks :-)

Curious- I am aware that there are molds with 6 Cavities out there- How about molds with more? Is there a mold that has a great amount of cavities, like 50 or whatever, maybe used by bullet companies? I don't imagine places like the Missouri Bullet company have a bunch of guys in the back with 2 cavity molds cranking them out. Anyone know where to find larger molds?

cheese1566
04-26-2012, 08:29 AM
There have been some larger molds in past history many years a go. Ten cavities that used to be called "armory molds" I think. (Someone here has more knowledge on this than I.)

Yes, bullet companies use two cavity molds....but they are in automatic machines, some machines will use a multiple molds in a revolving circular production.

There were some good video links posted the last few days on some of these machines. Pretty cool.

Magma even makes a smaller machine that a serious home caster can get that is semi-auto.

runfiverun
04-26-2012, 10:34 AM
those magma machines use 8- 2 cavity molds, the home version uses one 2 cavity mold.

Casting_40S&W
04-26-2012, 12:41 PM
18 Cavity Lee BuckShot Mold (#4, 000, 00)

Ickisrulz
04-26-2012, 01:50 PM
http://www.msgunowners.com/t11488-100-cavity-38cal-bullet-mold-not-for-sale-yet

100 cavities.

theperfessor
04-26-2012, 02:31 PM
I have a ten cavity H & G #258. Casts a wonderful .41 mag bullet, the original Keith style 220gr SWC. It's as heavy as all get out and not at all fun to use. I supplied the sample bullet for, and got in on the Group Buy for a four cavity Miha brass mold. Even in brass it's a much lighter proposition, and I can still cast them faster than I can shoot them, and at a much lower fatigue level.

Machine casting has reduced the economic practicality of huge gang molds fed by humans.

I do like my six cavity Lee molds for the most part, but they are aluminum and pretty light.

MtGun44
04-27-2012, 02:13 AM
AFAIK, nobody is producing more than 6 cavity molds today. RCBS max is 2, Lyman max
is 4, Lee makes 1, 2 and 6. Custom makers usually stick to 2 or 4 cavity models.

Bill

boltons75
04-27-2012, 03:00 AM
http://www.msgunowners.com/t11488-100-cavity-38cal-bullet-mold-not-for-sale-yet

100 cavities.

That's pretty slick. Would have to ladle pour out of a big smelter to keep up with that mold.

Always carry, never tell.

FISH4BUGS
04-27-2012, 05:51 AM
I have a 10 cavity S55 H&G mould that is use in my 380 Mac submachine gun. It takes a while to come up to temperature (about 10 full casts) but once it does, the production is awesome.
Very heavy mould. The mould guide is a must when using this one. However, the bullets fall out of the mould like rain when you get it up to temp.
But trust me when I tell you it doesn't take long to shoot 1000 rounds out of a Mac buzz gun. I am glad I use a 10 cavity mould!

bobthenailer
04-27-2012, 07:39 AM
I have 5, Saeco 8 cavity bullet moulds they all are excellent casting moulds and work as well as the 4 cavity moulds.

fredj338
04-27-2012, 06:57 PM
Howdy folks :-)

Curious- I am aware that there are molds with 6 Cavities out there- How about molds with more? Is there a mold that has a great amount of cavities, like 50 or whatever, maybe used by bullet companies? I don't imagine places like the Missouri Bullet company have a bunch of guys in the back with 2 cavity molds cranking them out. Anyone know where to find larger molds?

There are some 8cav hand molds around, quite heavy as they are iron. Mst commercial casters use machines w/ (8) or so 2cav molds. Casting by hand, I find there is a trade off filling multiple cav molds & waiting for them to cool. A 4cav seems perfect for max production. Faster to fill than a 6 or 8cav & bullets set up a bit quicker.

mooman76
04-27-2012, 07:45 PM
I used to have a slingshot mould that did 40 at a wack. 20 on one side and flip it over for the other 20. It was a fairly crude mould though.

jabilli
04-27-2012, 08:12 PM
Holy moly, That 100 cavity mold is a beast- I wonder how much it might sell for?
Yeah I suppose 6 cavities works well enough- I'm looking at these semi-auto molds that go for 1k$ http://www.magmaengineering.com/products/master-caster/ They claim to put out about 800 smaller caliber bullets out per hour....which the operator still has to sit there mindlessly cranking it. With a 6 cavity I reckon I could beat 800 and hour without too much huff and puff. The fully auto ones run like 10k$.

MT Gianni
04-27-2012, 11:29 PM
I would be worried about keeping things at an even temperature from one pour to the next with 100 cavities. Maybe with a 50+ lb pot and an automated running track for the pot.

sewerman68
04-28-2012, 04:15 PM
I have a 10 cavity H&G for the m1 carbine, it feels like it weighs 25 lbs when you are casting with it, It should have come with wheels.

Springfield
04-28-2012, 05:16 PM
If you have a pot that will keep up with it, like a Magma 40 pounder, then one LEE 6 cav can do about 8-900/hr. With 2- 6 cav's running at once 1200 is the norm. But I find that the bullet weight must be 200 grains or heavier or keeping 2 moulds hot enough can be very difficult.

jabilli
04-28-2012, 05:36 PM
Springfield, I don't quite follow how you mean..."With 2-6 cavities running at once"....It would be nice If I could go Vishnu style and have an extra set of arms but how do you mean? Am I missing something ?(Only other thing I can imagine you mean is fill one, set it down, fill the other, set it down, as the second one cools clear the first, repeat)

I've got a 10 Lb Lee bottom pourer- Usually I run it at about setting level 6, that makes it so it is in liquid form only for the moment before I whack the sprue plate.- I tried my fastest for giggles and I can run about a cast every 7-8 "One thousands"...At this speed level 6 keeps the mold temp just right. I normally don't go at that speed for sustained periods of time I was just doing it to see how fast I could do it... One thing I have noticed is that if I don't alternate which of the cavities I fill first, the side of the mold with the cavity that I fill last is colder than the one I fill first due to the hot lead not contacting it for as long as the other side...Thus making that bullet not fall out of the mold quite as easily.

casterofboolits
04-29-2012, 06:47 AM
I have both H&G and Saeco eight cavity moulds. The Saeco's are definatly easier to use due to the weight difference, but I consider the Saeco blocks too small for any bullet weight over 158 grains. YMMV