PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question

Kermit1945
04-26-2012, 12:31 AM
New here, new to BP revolver cartridge loading. So--I've just come into ownership of a 3rd model .32 cal S&W "lemonsqueezer/safety hammerless/new departure" and want to shoot it. I know my way around handloading, but can't seem to locate much advice on loading black in these wee cases. Open to smokeless advice as well. Thinking on using RN in the 76gr size. Maybe #0 buck? And it looks as if Lee is about it for dies--yes? ANY advice is welcome. I'm more used to loading .45-70 and larger! And thanks, in advance.

L Ross
04-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Kermit, I have the Lee 32 S&W die set and I load a Lyman 313249 pan lubed with Bullshop NASA lube. I put enough 3fg BP in the case to achieve just a bit of compression. Works great, and I love the way all these black powder loads bark. I do not use a wad with BP loads if I am loading a lubed bullet. If I am using a round ball I put a felt wad down on the powder then put a small gob of BP suitable lube on top of the wad and seat the round ball down to the point I can crimp just past the midway point of the ball. I have done this with 32 S&W, 38 S&W, 38 spl, 44 Colt, and 45 Colt. Some of the reproduction guns shoot very high with a normal weight bullet. The light weight round balls lower the point of impact dramatically.

Duke

Kermit1945
04-29-2012, 09:35 PM
Thanks, Duke, very helpful. How about loading this little fella with that there new-fangled smokeless powder? Any recommendations for Bullseye, Unique, and such?

L Ross
04-30-2012, 11:16 PM
Just helped a friend yesterday with his new to him Iver Johnson 32 S&W hammerless snubby. I brought him my dies and mould. He wanted to use smokeless and we looked up a starting load of one and one half grain of Unique.

Duke

rintinglen
05-01-2012, 03:58 AM
The loads for smokeless run SMALL. You will most likely find yourself having to weigh them, cause your powder measure won't go that small. In the 3rd Edition Cast Bullet Handbook, Lyman suggested 1.3 grains of 700X, 1.1 grains of Bullseye, 1.5 grains of Green Dot, 1.4 grains of Red Dot, 1.9 grains of WW231, or 1.6 Grains of Unique. They do not recommend higher loads for break top guns. (These are all starter loads.)

Kermit1945
05-03-2012, 12:00 PM
Most helpful. You guys are great! How come it took me so long to find this forum?