PDA

View Full Version : Acculab scale?

danski26
04-09-2007, 05:48 PM
Does anyone have any experience with Acculab scales? Sinclair lists this brand for sale through there web site. Normally Sinclare only sells top-o-line stuff. I am thinking of spending the cash for one.

jawjaboy
04-09-2007, 06:17 PM
Good brand IMO. I have an Acculab 0-300 gram( gold and silver dealings) scale that I bought about 15-17 years ago. Nary a problem with it.

montana_charlie
04-09-2007, 10:09 PM
Except for the postal scale I weigh lead and tin on I don't have any digital scales, but...

I occasionally consider having a good digital for weighing bullets. Of course, I would prefer one that reads in grains, but one calibrated in grams would be OK, I guess.

While I'm not 'actively seeking'...I did run across a possible candidate, today.
It is a 200 gram unit, that reads down to 1/100th gram.
It's the UN-200, about halfway down on this page...
http://www.unitednuclear.com/scales.htm
I see it has a Mode button, so maybe it also reads in grains.

These folks are all about 'scientific' and 'laboratory' stuff. So, I have a feeling that anything they sell will live up to their claims...
CM

danski26
04-09-2007, 10:21 PM
The claimed accuracy of the acculab is one of the reasons i'm interested in it. It claims .01 grain. Not sure how that converts to grams.

Ohio Rusty
04-10-2007, 10:06 AM
1 Gram = 15.4 grains
.1 Gram = 1.54 grains

My son in law has a nice electronic scale that only weighs grams and ounces. Although my interest is in low velocity pistol ammo, I want to get a correct measurement in grains so I don't mess up my loadings or make a mistake and get the wrong measurement because I got the two mixed up. I'm good at things like that !!
Ohio Rusty

Bad Flynch
04-10-2007, 02:56 PM
Denver Instruments is the modern-day name for the old firm of Wm. Ainsworth & Sons in Denver. Wm. Ainsworth built scales for the gold dealers in the gold-rush days. Many moons ago, when I was kid in college, we used Wm. Ainsworth equal-arm balances to do analytical chemistry; they are a good company.

I have a previous version of the Acculab, one that was marketed for the reloading trade, and it cost more than the present day model. It is a stellar performer and performs without a hitch as far as weighing goes.

The only drawback that I can find is that the power supply on mine interferes with my FM radio to the extent that the radio is not usable when I weigh powder.

Buy one, you will not regret it.