PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE ON FREE RENEGADE 50yds

oldwood1
04-25-2012, 09:02 PM
Goex has not shown up as yet, went back to the range with Pyrodex. I did center the front sight in the dovetail, it was to the right side by almost 1/16". Put up my big sheet of cardboard with a target in the center, tried a few combos of lube and powder charges. I ended up with a spit patch (.018+/-) and 70 grains of powder. After getting a fair group, I adjusted the sights until I was on the target, I had 2 touching in the X ring, 2 in the 9 ring and one winger a little high and right in 7 ring, was using a 50ft. timed and rapid fire pistol target at 50yds. It was all I had. I always have to pull at least 1! You guys were right, that powder charge really makes a big change. I get to do it all over when the Goex shows.
Thanks for the help, makes it much easier, oldwood1

Maven
04-25-2012, 09:21 PM
"I always have to pull at least 1!"

You aren't alone, oldwood, but that's just to keep us humble!

04-25-2012, 10:38 PM
That's pretty good shooting!! Oh yes, the range gremlins. They are always around off hiding in the bushes or somewhere. The ones around where I shoot, usually show up about the 5th shot. I've got 4 shots making one ragged hole and one of those little buggers will fly in out of nowhere, grab that bullet and yank it out at least 2 or 3 inches.

Boerrancher
04-28-2012, 09:39 AM
That's pretty good shooting!! Oh yes, the range gremlins. They are always around off hiding in the bushes or somewhere. The ones around where I shoot, usually show up about the 5th shot. I've got 4 shots making one ragged hole and one of those little buggers will fly in out of nowhere, grab that bullet and yank it out at least 2 or 3 inches.

Range Gremlins? Heck I think I have one that sits on the end of my barrel ahead of the front sight, and when he gets a notion, he jumps off on to that ball or boolit and takes it for a wild ride. I don't have to be at the range for him to decide he wants to cause havoc. I have on several occasions pulled the trigger on a nice white tail and had the deer look at me and just walk away, leaving me wondering where in the heck did that round go, because it sure never came close to the deer, so I chock it up to that gremlin on the end of my rifle barrel.

Best wishes,

Joe