PDA

View Full Version : Various 10mm bullet pics!

BT Sniper
04-24-2012, 11:59 PM
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/photo.php?fbid=319993844740825&set=a.207582455981965.51425.188837037856507&type=1&theater

Hope everyone is able to view the link. There is a few dozen pics of various 10mm loaded rounds. Notice the different HP designs. We could make any and all of these designed bullets EASY!. Pretty awesome and some you would sware was made by fellow members here, brass jackets and all!

Click on the side of the pics to cycle threw all the pics.

BT

BT Sniper
04-25-2012, 12:06 AM
You know what I don't see in all those pics? A lead tip SP HP! I guess they figure it would cause feed/jaming issues? All though I bet it would still make a heck of a bullet!

Somthing like this pictured here on the left! How long do you suppose till............ ?

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/P1050558-1.jpg

BT

Grandpas50AE
04-25-2012, 12:56 PM
I like the way you think BT. That SPHP looks very interesting for deer hunting...

PhilOhio
04-25-2012, 08:58 PM
BT, guys,

That style on the left is all I have been making now, for many months, but in a 180 grain version for .40 S&W and 10mm, and with even more lead showing. Of course, I am trimming the 9mm jackets a bit, so the exposed lead goes almost back to the barrel bearing surface for the 180 grainer. For a heavier rifle bullet, no need to trim.

As for bullet deformation during feeding, even with pure lead, they don't. At least not in my Glock 27 or S&W 4006.

Why am I so sure? The Glock is my carry gun and these are the only type hand loaded rounds I carry in it. Every time I clear the gun, I examine that first chambered round. I have not seen any lead dents. There is a slight shiny spot, where it hits the ramp, but that's it. And this is with pure lead cores, from my six-cavity gang mold set to 120 grains (jacket approximately 60 grains).

I'm coming to trust the load and bullets. So guys, don't give another worry to the large exposed lead nose. It feeds and shoots fine. And a bolt action rifle will be much easier on them than a violently cycling semiauto pistol. I imagine BT can verify this in his experience with the bullets fed through his rifle.

BT Sniper
04-25-2012, 09:20 PM
Yep I was thinking of the bullets you make and shoot when I commented on how there is no commercial offering like it. I'm know it will be and is a very good bullet, can't figure our why there isn't a commercial offering like it.

Good shooting and Swage On!

BT

a.squibload
05-02-2012, 03:06 AM
A consideration for commercial SPs might be packaging to prevent
deformation in shipping. I've seen SPs that looked a little beat
right out of the box.
Or maybe they don't think SPs are "in style" right now!

BT Sniper
05-02-2012, 03:20 AM
Don't know but when I make these out of wheel weight alloy there is no deformation of the lead tip. They are good to go! Of course usign a harder alloy kind of defeats the purpuse.

BT

b52fizzle
05-07-2012, 06:00 PM
BT,
Do your dies make the sphp? Whats not available commercially? I know speer use to offer their 260gr .451 jhp mag, seems they redesigned it into a hollow point with jacket to the tip, my original interest in your dies was mostly to replicate the old design with softpoint, and hopefully performance as it was accurate in my 1911 and decent expansion more like disruption at the lower velocities provided.

a.squibload
05-07-2012, 10:47 PM
Short answer: yep!
Old pic I posted before, some 40s & 44s made with BT dies.
Some of the 44s I trimmed before swaging. Use the same core
and trim the case wherever you want, works pretty good.
I use soft lead for cores and wondered about feed damage, but
not an issue in a 44 revolver. You can see the HP has a few tiny dents
in the mouth but it's soft lead.
(They look dark from tumbling after swaging, experimenting!)

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-LJWTe1Z80vE/TcNwDs5GD4I/AAAAAAAAALs/NhoLmGFjZZA/s640/Semi-jacket44.JPG

Some 40s I made the other day, might as well post this here:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-rEBSOtfjyAo/T6iIuthbaUI/AAAAAAAAAbU/RMye3Kn-vwg/s800/40%2520ammo.JPG

b52fizzle
05-08-2012, 07:40 AM
What are you tumbling in? I thought about trying the stainless steel wet tumbling after trimmed but before swaging , but will they be too soft after annealing? I really need to get equipped maybe won't have so many questions and more answers!

BT Sniper
05-08-2012, 11:55 AM
SPHP? No problem. I can custom taylor the HP design for best results from either JHP or the SPHP. Most of the time I will offer a HP that works well with both and all bullet designs. If you are interested in making lead tip HPs simply let me know and I'll hook you up.

GOod shooting,

BT

a.squibload
05-09-2012, 03:53 AM
What are you tumbling in? I thought about trying the stainless steel wet tumbling after trimmed but before swaging , but will they be too soft after annealing? I really need to get equipped maybe won't have so many questions and more answers!

Those were tumbled in a rock polisher with walnut shell (no water!).
I'm getting sick of walnut pieces stuck in primer holes, trying rice now (uncooked!).
It's not as aggressive but it works, takes longer.

I trim first, anneal, do the citric acid soak, then tumble.
The cases hold up fine in walnut. I never tried stainless media.

Questions are good, I learned a lot from the guys here before I started swaging.
If you can save some trial and error you can get outfitted easier or cheaper to begin with.
More fun, less head banging![smilie=b:

Lloyd Smale
05-09-2012, 06:19 AM
id be interested in buying some if the price was right!!!
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/photo.php?fbid=319993844740825&set=a.207582455981965.51425.188837037856507&type=1&theater

Hope everyone is able to view the link. There is a few dozen pics of various 10mm loaded rounds. Notice the different HP designs. We could make any and all of these designed bullets EASY!. Pretty awesome and some you would sware was made by fellow members here, brass jackets and all!

Click on the side of the pics to cycle threw all the pics.

BT

a.squibload
05-14-2012, 01:03 AM
Forgot I had a pic of some loaded ones, used the wrong punch
which deformed the noses but got 'em in the cases anyway.
Swaged 44spl spjhps shown with cast and drilled 44spl swcs.
Same can be done with 40s in BT's dies.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Q3bnA1Uk53w/T7CN9NlOTPI/AAAAAAAAAbo/aGkuFnhbCQs/s800/44%2520spjhps%2526casthps.JPG