PDA

View Full Version : Competitive shooting anyone?

BT Sniper
04-24-2012, 11:11 PM
I plan to do more competitive shooting with pistols in the near future. You can bet if you haven't allready guessed I'll be shooting 40 cals :) I got a chance to shoot one IDPA shoot here locally and had a lot of fun then teh range was closed down before I could shoot another.

Would love to hear some stories from some of you that shoot IDPA, USPSA, IPSC, steel or any other fun/competitive shooting sports. Try to spread a bit of knowledge on the world of shooting I guess. I know a few of you shoot these circuts, I barly know anything about these shooting events but I figure I'm going to learn soon enough.

So I took a big first step and just purchased a fancy EAA Witness Elete Limited 40 S&W with a few extras for a bargin barly used price. 20 round clips should be a lot of fun! Still have my stock EAA 40 S&W pistol as well so I can use it for IDPA and the fancy Limited for the others.

Here is a couple pics. Havn't got it in my hands yet but soon. Now to get caught up on orders, make some bullets, load a LOT of rounds and go do some shooting!

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/eaalimited.jpg

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/Limitedeaapackage.jpg

Good Shooting and Swage On!

BT

garym1a2
04-24-2012, 11:29 PM
USPSA with a Glock 22 works well in production class. Since production class all guns are scored minor I load my 40 down to 130 PF with only 3.7gr of WST for a 175GR boolit. This gets good accuracy and almost no recoil so follow up shots are very quick. Feels like a low power 45 acp round.

BT Sniper
04-24-2012, 11:48 PM
I have found with the 185ish grain boolits made from 9mm brass I need to keep them above 750 FPS or slight key holing will begin to show. Of course that is just in my stock EAA Witness full size steel frame. Don't know what twist rate it has. I would have to look up the power factor at that FPS. Lots of new stuff to learn. Should be fun!

BT

Lefty SRH
04-25-2012, 05:33 AM
I shoot IDPA with either a G22 or a Ruger GP100, lately its been my GP. I've been playing with IDPA off and on since 1999. It can be a lot of fun, especially now since I switched to a different gun.
I've been wanting to try USPSA but haven't made the time for it yet. If I ever go I'll take my G24.

Bwana
04-25-2012, 08:26 AM
Shot IDPA for about six years and went to Nationals the last four of that. Took home some trophies and watched my eldest take home not only more but more first place trophies. Decided to call it qiuts in IDPA when Bill Wilson started to get crazy with the rules (CDP 45 only, etc.). Went to USPSA and haven't looked back. Use my G23 and manage to mostly place around 53% overall and third in Production during our monthly matches. I use the Lee 175 TC with 3.5gr Titegroup and R-P cases and WSPM primers about 135 PF. It's all about having fun and being around fellow shooters.

Smokin7mm
04-25-2012, 09:18 AM
Not quite along the same lines of competition but I shoot IHMSA Silhouette competition and do use my own bullets for all the events (22cal, 6mm, 6.5mm, 270cal, 7mm). I also shoot cast in several events. In fact it has been probably about 12 years since I have shot any commercial bullets in competition.
Bret

Whistler
04-25-2012, 09:47 AM
Competing is all we are allowed to own handguns for in Sweden, so there's a lot of it among the few of us there is. I compete more or less every weekend all year round and always using my own cast boolits! Slow fire Bullseye type of competition, to IPSC style to metallic silhouette, I do it all! :)

Here's my first big IPSC event using the S&W 625 revolver with the Lee .452-226-1R:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4EEUMiiURY#t=1m30s

Happened a lot since then, both in my casting technique and shooting skill. It is going to be a really fun year!

ScottJ
04-25-2012, 09:55 AM
I started shooting IDPA last year and now hold classifications in 4 of its 5 divisions (SSR, SSP, ESP and CDP). Were it not for using cast boolits I'd never be able to afford it.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Dillon
04-25-2012, 10:53 PM
ive been shooting idpa and USPSA for a while. Both are fun, i shoot USPSA mainly just due to the freedom that it gives you in stage planning and the increased round count, and the quality of the major matches in my area. I shoot idpa monthly though as i have quite a few friends at the local club.
Thats a really good limited setup that you have there. I shot limited for about a year, but i moved to open aroung 6 months ago and am having a blast. The only bad thing about open is that i cant shoot my cast bullets anymore so the cost has risen dramatically. :(

Visit www.brianenos.com/forums to get all the information on practical shooting that you will ever want.
Competitive shooting will bring your gun handling skills to a tremendous level if you stick with it. Its some of the best fun that you can have with a gun and the people are even better than the shooting!

Lefty SRH
04-26-2012, 05:31 AM
ive been shooting idpa and USPSA for a while. Both are fun, i shoot USPSA mainly just due to the freedom that it gives you in stage planning and the increased round count, and the quality of the major matches in my area. I shoot idpa monthly though as i have quite a few friends at the local club.
Thats a really good limited setup that you have there. I shot limited for about a year, but i moved to open aroung 6 months ago and am having a blast. The only bad thing about open is that i cant shoot my cast bullets anymore so the cost has risen dramatically. :(

Visit www.brianenos.com/forums to get all the information on practical shooting that you will ever want.
Competitive shooting will bring your gun handling skills to a tremendous level if you stick with it. Its some of the best fun that you can have with a gun and the people are even better than the shooting!

Why can't you use your cast bullets in Open class? I've never heard of this before.

0verkill
04-29-2012, 02:08 AM
Sounds like a good reason to start swaging. I need to get a set of 40 cal swage dies myself, but they just cost so much new and I can't find a used set. All this talk about competition makes me wish there was some shoots around here.