PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning off Swage Lube?

Utah Shooter
04-24-2012, 06:46 PM
So I have found that just tumbling does not clean all of the swage lube off 22lr cases when swaging. What are you guys using to clean them off?

DukeInFlorida
04-24-2012, 07:01 PM
Clean? I just load them and shoot. Are you being too fussy?

Utah Shooter
04-24-2012, 07:16 PM
Clean? I just load them and shoot. Are you being too fussy?

Not too fussy at all. I am just going to put in the most effort that I can to make these as accurate as possible. I know that you shoot yours out of a fully automatic rifle. I can see why you would not put fourth the effort.

I however want to be able to shoot dimes consistantly at 100 yards.

MIBULLETS
04-24-2012, 07:20 PM
He said cases not bullets.

I use acetone.

BT Sniper
04-24-2012, 07:39 PM
I use mineral spirts.

BT

runfiverun
04-24-2012, 07:48 PM
what are you using for lube?
i use lanolin and castor oil.
lanolin is soluble in rubbing alcohol.
a little in my tumbling media gts things back to clean.
then a trip through the other media with some nu finish in it, adds a little shine.

Utah Shooter
04-24-2012, 07:59 PM
Straight lanonlin for now. Need to get some Castor Oil. I let it soak in rubbing alcohol for about 10 minutes the other day and nothing came off of them. How long do you let yours sit?

BT Sniper
04-24-2012, 08:33 PM
For me and my mix of lanolin and castor oil a simple submerge in mineral spirts with a bit of agitation then dump on a old bath towel. Make a hamock out of the bath towel with brass inside and couple back and forth motions then left to dry. Works for me.

BT

DukeInFlorida
04-24-2012, 09:42 PM
my swage lube is lanolin (Randy Rat's the guy to see for the lanolin) and Militec-1. Slickest swage lube you could ever hope for.

Utah Shooter
04-24-2012, 10:19 PM
my swage lube is lanolin (Randy Rat's the guy to see for the lanolin) and Militec-1. Slickest swage lube you could ever hope for.

That is where I get my Lanolin from.

MIBULLETS
04-24-2012, 11:24 PM
I shake them around lightly too usually the acetone or rubing alcohol will take it off. Are you using 99.9% or the 70/30 stuff? The 70/30 alcohol does not work as well IMO, the 30% is water.

Utah Shooter
04-24-2012, 11:30 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=96820

I will do some more tonight and see if rubbing alcohol works for a bit longer with agitation.

runfiverun
04-25-2012, 12:10 AM
you'll feel when it comes off.
i add the 90% to my tumbler and run it for an hour or so then another hour in the other media with some nu-finish.
they come out pretty clean.

one thought though, are you annealing with a torch?
and is that color what isn't coming off?

Utah Shooter
04-25-2012, 01:05 AM
No I am annealing in my oven. They do come out almost nickel colored though. Tumbling or Lemi-Shine takes that off.

Reload3006
04-25-2012, 07:19 AM
after I de-rim i wash mine in Methyl Ethel Keytone... MEK make sure to use good barrier gloves as the MEK will take the oil out of your hands too. Also its a known carcinogen but it does what it does very well.

martin
04-25-2012, 09:02 AM
Gang,

Just a word of caution that all of the VOC's mentioned above are highly flammable, should be used in a well ventilated (outside) area, and the user should avoid breathing the fumes. There are a couple of others that are effective including Methelene Chloride and Trichloro Ethelene.

Martin

Smokin7mm
04-25-2012, 09:13 AM
I use either Acetone or Isopropyl (99% stuff) Regular rubbing alcohol will not work. I usually put them in a bath towel first and fold it over and rub around first to remove a majority of it. I then pour the Acetone/Isopropyl over it in a container and adgitate a little. Then strain off the acetone/isopropyl and lay out to dry on a towel.
Bret

Grandpas50AE
04-25-2012, 12:49 PM
I just use hot soapy water (Dawn dish soap works well). Lanolin with castor oil is my lube, and are soluble in hot soapy water. No toxins, no fumes, no fuss. Drying can be in the oven or a few hours in the Texas summer sun. The sun down here WILL get that brass case hot enough to put a mild burn on your fingers, so be careful with picking them up before taking them inside the house to cool off for a while.