PDA

View Full Version : Glock 30 Help

fish0123
04-24-2012, 06:12 PM
Well Ive been having so much fun casting a shooting with my Ruger that I have decided to start casting for my Glock 30 45 cal. Ive done a considerable amount of reading on the subject and still have a few concerns. I slugged it with a fishing egg sinker and my $20 set of calipers and it came out .449. I plan on sizing to .451.

Anyways, my questions are, what type of bullet and lube should I choose? I am leaning towards a Lee 230 grain ogive radius tumble lube because I like how easy the tumble lube process is with the liquid alox. Is there any special lube needed in the glocks, or does the liquid alox do fine? Also, what is the difference in a truncated cone bullet?

Based on what I have read, I think I will go with the chore boy to get any lead out of the barrel. Do I just wrap this stuff around a brass or nylon brush and run it through dry? Do I need any solvents to get the lead out? Lastly, what would you guys consider to be the best book for cast boolit load data, the Lyman 4th edition?

Any other tips anyone has for me about casting in glocks would be appreciated. I have read about the "do it" vs "don't do it" arguments, I am just looking for tips from people that cast for glocks, such as anything special or different I should consider. For example, is there anything I should know about loading for the glocks, like a certain powder to stay away from, or don't use maximum loads or anything? I don't mean to come across as being paranoid, I have just heard that casting in the poly barrels is a bit more finicky, so I want to make sure I get started off right.

Thanks!

9.3X62AL
04-24-2012, 06:34 PM
Not sure how you arrived at .449" as your "groove diameter", my now-departed Glock 21's barrel mic'd .449" on the flat spots and .453" on the peaks of the slugs.

I'll keep this short, but some years ago I posted the long version of what follows.....Lyman #452460, #452374, BD-45, and the Lee 230 TC all ran wonderfully and accurately through the G-21. Sizing of .452" or .454" didn't matter. There was zero leading after shooting hundreds of rounds. Alloy was 92/6/2, lube was Javelina Alox/beeswax.

The polygonal form of Glock 45 caliber barrels is 8-sided, the smaller calibers are 6-sided. I won't hazard a guess whether this makes a difference or not in terms of lead-friendliness, but I had no issues whatsover using cast boolits in the G-21. I now have a Glock 23 (40 S&W), and bought a Storm Lake barrel for it to use with castings. The 40s tend to be the problen children in the Glock pantheon of pistols.

fish0123
04-24-2012, 07:19 PM
Well to be honest I was quite confused about what to measure, because the slug looks nothing like the one that came out of my ruger. My assumption was that whatever I get, the largest measurement must be the groove diameter. I got measurements all over the place, .442" being the smallest and .449" being the largest. My process for slugging was: take egg sinker, lube it and barrel, hammer about 1/8" into barrel, hit out with wood dowel. Should I ram the sinker all the way through?

Bwana
04-24-2012, 07:35 PM
My G30 likes the Lee 228gr RN (1R). I cast it like everything else- water dropped WW, sized to .451 using a medium hard lube (90% paraffin, 90% beeswax, and 10%vasoline by weight). My Glock factory bores all look like mirrors when through shooting.

Tim357
04-24-2012, 11:01 PM
A friend has a G30. SWC boolits feed well, but the empty case hangs up on the next round in the magazine during ejection, and causes a stovepipe jam. A Lyman 452488 is a goofy looking boolit, but the G30 will run all day long. 6.5 gr Unique and Alox/beeswax lube works like a champ. Haven't chrono'd this load yet, but it seems reasonably accurate at 15 yards.
Now then, this mould is no longer in Lymans inventory, so I would hazard a RN or a TC boolit to make your pistol run.
Good luck,
Tim sends

9.3X62AL
04-24-2012, 11:20 PM
Well to be honest I was quite confused about what to measure, because the slug looks nothing like the one that came out of my ruger. My assumption was that whatever I get, the largest measurement must be the groove diameter. I got measurements all over the place, .442" being the smallest and .449" being the largest. My process for slugging was: take egg sinker, lube it and barrel, hammer about 1/8" into barrel, hit out with wood dowel. Should I ram the sinker all the way through?

Treat it like a rifle--to h##l with lands and grooves, use the throat diameter to predicate boolit sizing diameter. Using your regimen, the throat will be the portion just prior to the rifling leade impressions. My pistol's throat was .453", so I started with .454" sizing. Just for grins late in test fire sequence, I tried .452" boolits, and it made no difference downrange or inside the bore. All good.

The 45 ACP is among the more lead-friendly autopistol calibers, as are the 32 ACP, 380 ACP (once its diameter is figured out) and the 9mm Makarov. 9mm Luger, 40 S&W, and 10mm can be far more challenging. Dimensional integrity adherence is most of the battle, really--first finding it, then maintaining it through the reloading process.