PDA

View Full Version : Yugo SKS

Crawdaddy
04-24-2012, 11:46 AM
I just bought a Yugo SKS, all matching serial numbers. A couple of small scratches on the bluing (very small) a small ding in the wood stock. It looks unissued. A bayonet in perfect condition is on it.

I paid $250 for it. Did I get a good deal?

I have never owned one. Any advice on using it? Anyone load cast in them? Bullet style, weight?

Bloodman14
04-24-2012, 12:27 PM
Good buy! I paid $200.00 and tax for mine a few years ago; it needed a bath in the worst way. I load the Lee C155-2R boolit over 1.9 cc's of H322. Pretty snappy load, but the brass doesn't go too far.

Larry Gibson
04-24-2012, 12:33 PM
If the bore is good (not worn nor pitted) you got a very good deal. Lots of the yugo's were factory refurbished yet had very pitted and worn bores. The Yugo's bores were not chrome plated.

Larry Gibson

Crawdaddy
05-07-2012, 03:12 PM
I finally took this to the range. It wont cycle at all. I have to manually eject each round. Any ideas for fixing?

Junior1942
05-07-2012, 03:15 PM
I bet it has the same problem as mine had. Fixed it with a file. See http://www.castbullet.com/shooting/sks.htm

Skipper
05-07-2012, 03:22 PM
Gas valve? Gas port plugged?

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-171213.html

Larry Gibson
05-07-2012, 03:42 PM
On top of the gas block you will find a button. If the button is in the top position allowing the grenade sight to come up the gas is cut off for grenade launching. Push in on the button and rotate it to the right until it stops and clicks out and the grenade sight is prevented from coming to the upright position. The SKS should function semi automatically then.

Larry Gibson

Crawdaddy
05-07-2012, 04:29 PM
I am so inexperieinced with SKS's I didnt know they had gas blocks.

I'll check both links and read the threads.

I will also check the grenade launcher aspect.

Thanks guys.

Larry Gibson
05-07-2012, 06:40 PM
Only the Yugo's have the gas block. If you put the button to the top position you can slide it back in the notch to the rear and the button and spring will come out. The gas block can then be removed from the rear of the gas block for cleaning if the gas tupe is removed.

Larry Gibson

Lead Fred
05-07-2012, 07:05 PM
By todays prices, you got it at pre Obama price

Crawdaddy
05-07-2012, 07:36 PM
Larry
When I checked it, the button was up. I suspect that was the problem. I'll take it to the range this weekend and test. The grenade launcher and sight have been removed. Anyone know where I can buy one?

Thank you.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?b24t0c

tdd4570
05-08-2012, 12:10 PM
Crawdaddy

Does some place local have them for that price?

Thanks

Dave

Crawdaddy
05-08-2012, 09:55 PM
No, I bought it from a co worker.
Just noticed you were in abq. We are not to far apart.

Did you draw any tags? I got deer in unit 16, nothing else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

tdd4570
05-09-2012, 08:21 AM
Yes, close.

Been a little windy.

I drew a MD tag in 27. And a Javelina tag other than the SW corner.

Crawdaddy
05-18-2012, 12:23 PM
I took it to the range and it cycles perfectly. You nailed it Larry! Thanks.

Larry Gibson
05-18-2012, 01:17 PM
If you remove the gas block for cleaning don't lose the spring! Also if you rotate the gas tube take down lever (right side of rear sight block) beyond the top notch you can remove the gas piston tappet and spring. It is under spring tension so it will fly out if you don't hold it. Usually it doesn't need to be removed though.

Larry Gibson

offshore44
05-19-2012, 11:49 PM
The wife and I have pristine Yugo SKS's that we like to shoot. Kinda like the Eastern European version of the 30-30 in a way.

So...here's a dumb question. Can you shoot cast out of a Yugo SKS at usable, hunting velocities? Will the action cycle? How do you go about that...i.e. what mold, powder, die load etc. is involved? School me please, as I have two Yugo SKS's and lot's o' lead, primers and powder!

ilcop22
05-20-2012, 04:45 AM
The wife and I have pristine Yugo SKS's that we like to shoot. Kinda like the Eastern European version of the 30-30 in a way.

So...here's a dumb question. Can you shoot cast out of a Yugo SKS at usable, hunting velocities? Will the action cycle? How do you go about that...i.e. what mold, powder, die load etc. is involved? School me please, as I have two Yugo SKS's and lot's o' lead, primers and powder!

You might want to ask that question on the CB Loads/Military Rifles forum. A search might yield some good info, too. To answer the first question, though, yes, you can shoot useable cast out of a Yugo SKS. Generally, a hunting load will have more than enough oomph to cycle the action. Lee makes some moulds specific to the 7.62x39 cartridge.

3006guns
05-20-2012, 08:32 AM
You might want to ask that question on the CB Loads/Military Rifles forum. A search might yield some good info, too. To answer the first question, though, yes, you can shoot useable cast out of a Yugo SKS. Generally, a hunting load will have more than enough oomph to cycle the action. Lee makes some moulds specific to the 7.62x39 cartridge.

Somewhere on the forum, Junior came up with a very good cast load but you'll have to seach for it. My version (from memory) is a 175 grain RNFP boolit, gas checked, and pushed by 22 grains of surplus 4895. In my Yugo this load has more than enough "wump" for game and ejects the brass rather smartly. By dropping it down to 21 grains the brass lands within three feet of me.

As a further "Yugo" benefit, you can shut off the gas valve and operate it like a straight pull bolt action, saving your precious brass. The only thing I notice......on my gun anyway.....is that the gas selector button partially obscures my front sight, but there's enough to work with.

Junior1942
05-21-2012, 06:21 AM
Somewhere on the forum, Junior came up with a very good cast load but you'll have to seach for it. My version (from memory) is a 175 grain RNFP boolit, gas checked, and pushed by 22 grains of 4895. In my Yugo this load has more than enough "wump" for game and ejects the brass rather smartly. By dropping it down to 21 grains the brass lands within three feet of me.

As a further "Yugo" benefit, you can shut off the gas valve and operate it like a straight pull bolt action, saving your precious brass. The only thing I notice......on my gun anyway.....is that the gas selector button partially obscures my front sight, but there's enough to work with.My load was with surplus 4895! See http://www.castbullet.com/shooting/sks.htm

3006guns
05-21-2012, 10:00 AM
My load was with surplus 4895! See http://www.castbullet.com/shooting/sks.htm

Thank you for the correction Junior.......I've modified my post accordingly.

I interpolated your data when I tried the load in my Yugo.......I used 21 grains of IMR 4895 with excellent results. I'm aware of the differences between surplus, IMR (not much) and H4895.

In any case, your post enabled me to use a cast load in my gun successfully the FIRST time and I'm very grateful for that.

Junior1942
05-21-2012, 03:13 PM
Thank you for the correction Junior.......I've modified my post accordingly.

I interpolated your data when I tried the load in my Yugo.......I used 21 grains of IMR 4895 with excellent results. I'm aware of the differences between surplus, IMR (not much) and H4895.

In any case, your post enabled me to use a cast load in my gun successfully the FIRST time and I'm very grateful for that.I added a warning sign on the web page. I only have maybe 3 lbs of that Surplus 4895 left. I think I'll cry when it's gone.... :-( It was $11.48 per lb in the door back in 2005. A new 8 lb jug of H4895 will be twice that at least.