PDA

View Full Version : Old Lyman Checks

35isit
04-24-2012, 10:02 AM
I had some what appear to be really old Lyman checks given to me. Some are for a .22. I have a 225462 mold I want to try in my contender. It has a muzzle brake. I understand these checks don't crimp on and come off in flight. Is there a concern of a check coming off and hanging up in the brake? I certainly don't want to ruin my barrel, but I have a couple thousand free checks at my disposal.

legend
04-24-2012, 10:54 AM
try a dot of superglue,very small.

Bullet Caster
04-25-2012, 12:53 AM
^what legend said. Super glue works for me for making the gas checks stick to the bottom of the boolit. I use unsized .312 155 gn GC for my AK. Since I don't size them, that's the only way I have to ensure the GC's stay put when reloading and shooting. BC

35isit
04-27-2012, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have read several posts that say it does matter and several that it doesn't matter that they come off in flight. My next question is how far down range do the typically fall off? As long as it is not as soon as the exit the barrel crown I believe I will be alright. I would rather not have to glue each check on.

MGySgt
05-01-2012, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the replies. I have read several posts that say it does matter and several that it doesn't matter that they come off in flight. My next question is how far down range do the typically fall off? As long as it is not as soon as the exit the barrel crown I believe I will be alright. I would rather not have to glue each check on.

Don't shoot them through a Chronogragh - that is unless you want to buy a new one!