PDA

View Full Version : .375 h&h

Good Cheer
04-24-2012, 09:18 AM
Anyone tried loading .375H&H with black?

Don McDowell
04-24-2012, 09:57 AM
It'll hold about 92 gr of 3f, and hurls a 255 gr fp at warp speed.:holysheep
My neighbor calls it the 38-92 belted bottleneck express.

Good Cheer
04-24-2012, 11:31 AM
That sounds like the best danged excuse to get another .375!
But, what barrel length? You might could use a thirty inch tube or better with that much powder.
Oh my, what a fun gun!
I've got this 330 grainer that was hollow pointed by Erik... hoo hoo bwahahaha!

Don McDowell
04-24-2012, 02:33 PM
Neibors rifle is a Ruger #1.

dave roelle
04-27-2012, 09:50 AM
Oh No ------"here i go again"

I have a 375 H&H, 700 out of the remington custom shop---------shot durned near everything with that rifle using Sierra 270 grainers.

Big hogs are a favorite target-------call it "hog tipping texas style" they just kinda roll over when hit [smilie=w:

What bullet is your neightbor using Don 38-92 BBEX has a nice sound to it

Dave

Don McDowell
04-27-2012, 10:52 AM
Dave its the 255 fp that is mounted on the front of an old Winchester loading tool.

dave roelle
04-27-2012, 12:02 PM
Interesting--------------i bet it does a job on deer size critters------------------think i'll check the twist in the rifle and see what weight would be optimum---------------gonna really get some looks from the range folks with the smoke i betcha

thanks Don

TXGunNut
04-29-2012, 09:50 PM
Interesting--------------i bet it does a job on deer size critters------------------think i'll check the twist in the rifle and see what weight would be optimum---------------gonna really get some looks from the range folks with the smoke i betcha

thanks Don

That's the fun thing about BPCR's on a public range. Even when the loads aren't working they put on a show at the line, when they're working they put on a pretty good show @ the target board as well.

Haggway
04-29-2012, 10:04 PM
Mental note. When driving through Conroe, look for small mushroom clouds.

bigted
04-30-2012, 06:50 PM
dandy...this pre 64 winny in 375 h&h just hangin there lookin good. now i got to feed it some bp with some lyman 330's and lyman 250's. just ordered a accurate paperpatch mould in .372 inch and 310 grain. thanks fellas just when i thought i may ...in a few years get cought up with all the experiments i learn about this h&h thing. well there it is...next ill be patchin a .257 up for the 25-06...whats next...223??? i will not be doing the 223 in my 70's model ar tho...might try it tho if i had a new model without the history this one has.

but the 375???cant see why not as i already play with my 458 with bp so why not the 375...thanks again!!!

dave roelle
05-01-2012, 07:51 AM
The local range folks welcome a visit -------------there's a small tank between the 25 and 100 yard berms---------------claims the billowing clouds of smoke keep the "skeeters" in check for at least a week

bigted
05-02-2012, 04:08 AM
well i blackened the 375 today. what a hoot man...95 grains of cartridge came up to halfway into the neck area so when i seated the only bullets i had on hand...[jacketed 220 and 300 hornadays]...they compressed the powder the 1/4 inch or so. shot these and my what fun. cant wait to get the patchin moulds and sizer to try that thru her with this blackpowder.

gonna have to remove the stock tho as im getting horozontal stringing with no aparent reasson so i need to remove the stock and find out if it has more preassure on the barrel on the left side. maybe just needs to be seated in the stock correctly as well.

what a fun time tho...38-95 express belted indeed...very fun...another reasson to burn black powder...ha

Ed in North Texas
05-08-2012, 11:50 AM
well i blackened the 375 today. what a hoot man...95 grains of cartridge came up to halfway into the neck area so when i seated the only bullets i had on hand...[jacketed 220 and 300 hornadays]...they compressed the powder the 1/4 inch or so. shot these and my what fun. cant wait to get the patchin moulds and sizer to try that thru her with this blackpowder.

gonna have to remove the stock tho as im getting horozontal stringing with no aparent reasson so i need to remove the stock and find out if it has more preassure on the barrel on the left side. maybe just needs to be seated in the stock correctly as well.

what a fun time tho...38-95 express belted indeed...very fun...another reasson to burn black powder...ha

Ted,

Were you using 3f to get that 95 grain capacity?

Ed

Don McDowell
05-08-2012, 01:48 PM
:bigsmyl2: Ted you are having entirely to much fun.[smilie=w: We're going to have to cut your allotment of bp :veryconfu[smilie=s:

bigted
05-08-2012, 03:19 PM
no it was 'cartridge' from goex. it is my fav powder and i am going to have to find another "favorite" as goex for some stupid reasson have decided to stop making it. also it wasnt droped thru the droptube either. may even get more then 95 grains in thru the tube.

yes Don...too much fun indeed! i cant believe how much fun it really is! and yes my allotment is runnin low so im bout to have to get another 50 or so lbs of the stuff. well i now know where the next bonus i get is going...thats a comfort huh?

TXGunNut
05-08-2012, 11:50 PM
Don, it looks like we'll be forced to have an intervention to get Ted back on the right path to boredom and misery. It'll be a shame, tho. He seems so happy.

Don McDowell
05-08-2012, 11:58 PM
Yeh I just hope he doesn't get the dt's to bad...

bigted
05-09-2012, 09:56 AM
too kind fellers!!! LOL

TXGunNut
05-14-2012, 12:21 AM
Yeh I just hope he doesn't get the dt's to bad...

We could slip him a fresh-fired case now and then to snort to take the edge off.
All kidding aside I like the KIK powders, if you're going to make a change I think they're worth a look.

mstarling
05-14-2012, 01:21 AM
OK ... I gotta ask ... Why in the world would one want to use black powder in a .375 H&H?

The classic Lyman 375449 cast w wheel weights, sized at 0.377", lubed with Carnauba Red and driven by 40 gr of AA 5744 makes a very decent deer hunting round and doesn't generate much smoke.

Am I just being WAY to practical and simply missed all the fun? (I hate cleaning black powder residue out of rifles.)

Haggway
05-14-2012, 01:36 AM
[QUOTE=mstarling;1709871]OK ... I gotta ask ... Why in the world would one want to use black powder in a .375 H&H?

Not being a black powder shooter (avoiding another addiction related to guns). I would have to say its the cool factor. Its like this. The shooting line is full. Bubba is getting read for the season to open at his deer camp. He is a few benches away blasting away, with some one else calling his shots. Then boooooom. A huge cloud of white smoke. The line goes quiet, and all that is seen is a huge %^$%$ eating grin on the shooters face of the black powder.

Thats just a guess from me.

bigted
05-14-2012, 07:06 AM
HAGGWAY has it almost exactly. in fact i can only add that the cleanup with this origanal powder is so much less then the new stuff...[be that fake black or smokless]...that it takes me less time to do it then explain the how to's. now that im dabbling with paperpatchin i dont ever have a smudge of the silver lead in my bore...EVER!! so now i have the fun to see the huge blast of white smoke n cinders bellow from the muzzle...also i get the splinters of paper floating it the air on their lazy way to the ground...then there is the cleaning that takes 2 of the patches i have in my putrid mouth to be swabbed up n down the bore a couple times then a clean dry one followed by the oily patch for storage.

so far the only things i havnt put bp thru is my pristine 25-06 and the vintage ar-15 colt that i hardly ever shoot anymore. already traded my ar-10 for a shiloh and have my eye on another when my turn comes for spending some.

long storie short is that i cant think of any more purfect rifle to shoot blackpowder thru unless it would be my 458 winny. it does well also but thats another post.

TXGunNut
05-14-2012, 09:16 PM
(I hate cleaning black powder residue out of rifles.) -mstarling

You're not doing it right. With SPG lube and real BP takes me 1-2 patches damp with moose milk or Windex w/ vinegar, a dry patch and the final patch with a dab of Wonder Lube. Takes me longer to type it than to do it.

TXGunNut
05-14-2012, 09:19 PM
[QUOTE=mstarling;1709871]OK ... I gotta ask ... Why in the world would one want to use black powder in a .375 H&H?

Not being a black powder shooter (avoiding another addiction related to guns). I would have to say its the cool factor. Its like this. The shooting line is full. Bubba is getting read for the season to open at his deer camp. He is a few benches away blasting away, with some one else calling his shots. Then boooooom. A huge cloud of white smoke. The line goes quiet, and all that is seen is a huge %^$%$ eating grin on the shooters face of the black powder.

Awwwww....come on Haggway! You know you want to, drop by sometime and we'll have a little fun at the range I hang out on. RO's always perk up when I open my case, they like the old boomers too!

Haggway
05-14-2012, 10:25 PM
[QUOTE=TXGunNut;1710766][QUOTE=Haggway;1709876]

Awwwww....come on Haggway! You know you want to, drop by sometime and we'll have a little fun at the range I hang out on. RO's always perk up when I open my case, they like the old boomers too!

LOL yeah right I drive a couple of hours, then return broke with a truck full of that black stuff lol.

TXGunNut
05-14-2012, 10:40 PM
Works for me! I resisted scratching that itch for as long as I could. BP isn't near the investment it may seem to be. Pretty modest outlay compared to casting and a very natural next step in my case. Many BP replicas are actually pretty reasonable.

Haggway
05-14-2012, 11:03 PM
Nope no black powder for me. I do enjoy watching people shoot it though, as it really irritates some people when the haze floats across the line. Then again ping pong balls full of tannerite taped to the backer boards do the same as well. So I have seen not that I would do anything like that.

bigted
05-18-2012, 03:29 AM
recieved the accurate mould today so will chrisen it tommarrow and wrap them with paper and see how the old winchester does with the slicks. gotta remove that stock so as to see what the preassure is like. more news later tho/

Nobade
05-18-2012, 08:03 AM
That 375 has a mighty short neck for getting a grease cookie in and still having room for the boolit. You'll get to be creative shooting PP and black powder in that one!

bigted
05-18-2012, 11:21 AM
nobade...yep it is a short neck afair and so far i dont use a greese cookie in it. i have shot the rcbs 250 grain gas check wrapped in onionskin with mixed results but i found the problem i hope in my rifle...the front sling was turned in so far that the screw stud was riding hard on the barrel so ill remove a bit of that stud and re-do my previous test.

im only hoping that these new accurate mould slicks will go far enough up the barrel to allow seating with the base up in the neck...or its gonna be a no-go as i understand using a necked case with blackpowder.

also dont know if i mentioned it...the 95 grain charge was with a duplex so my need for a cookie is null for now. i arrived at the 95 grain capacity with straight goex cartridge powder ...dropped straight into the case thru a funnel so maybe i could get more in with the drop tube...will check that out too. as previously mentioned in other posts i use 10 percent ball powder in my duplex charges which seems great and very clean without the need so far for a cookie. these loads seem to garner complete support or just the exact other side of that coin when mentioned so which ever side folks drop down on...everybody needs to be comfortable with their methods and,, read,, read,, read,, before comensing with any loading practices.

ok im off to see the wizard and cast a few and see what happens with this new mould. maybe i just got my new 38-55 mould for papering as well.

bigted
05-18-2012, 12:30 PM
well couldnt wait to report the findings on the amount of powder difference between just pouring it in with a funnel and using my drop tube [24 inch arrow shaft hung in a homemade wooden holder]. i dont know why this always seems to entertain me but it does and here is my findings with the 375 h&h cartridge in a remington case configuration;

straight GOEX powder is used in the 'cartridge' configuration;;

dumped in thru a funnel to 1/4 inch of the top of the neck [or mouth of the case] takes 95 grains as expected from my last experiment.

dropped thru the droptube in a trickle fassion it takes 102.6 grains to come up to the same 1/4 inch from the top of the neck...that is 1/4 inch from the mouth of the cartridge in both experiments.

so while my melt melts and the new mould heats up im reporting this with amazment as ussual when i "RE-DISCOVER" the amazing results of the droptube and blackpowder...doesnt take much for some i guess...im a pretty cheap date too...LOL

RMulhern
05-18-2012, 05:29 PM
Oh No ------"here i go again"

I have a 375 H&H, 700 out of the remington custom shop---------shot durned near everything with that rifle using Sierra 270 grainers.

Big hogs are a favorite target-------call it "hog tipping texas style" they just kinda roll over when hit [smilie=w:

What bullet is your neightbor using Don 38-92 BBEX has a nice sound to it

Dave

38D-22-36 sounds better!!:-P:!:

Lead pot
05-18-2012, 08:54 PM

Did that at the trap range once.
After the first round I was asked if I had regular loads, I said yup.
Reached in the pouch and dropped another round in pulled the slide forward and called pull and out came a cloud of smoke and I was asked to get off the line.

Such an attitude those trap shooters have:roll::)

bigted
05-19-2012, 01:49 AM
well i got some new boolits from the accurate mould but they seat very deep in the case...like 1/4 inch below the neck bottom. can someone tell me what the deal is with this condition and loading blackpowder? meaning the boolit base being below the neck area.

ALSO GOOD CHEER......didnt mean to hijack your post here...maybe i should begin another so you may find the info you require.