PDA

View Full Version : Any reason to NOT use a gas check?

gofastman
04-24-2012, 12:12 AM
I have one of PatMarlin's PBCheckmakers on the way.
Since they dont cost anything other than time, is there any reason to not GC all of my bullets?

nanuk
04-24-2012, 01:40 AM
time

challenge of producing good rounds sans check

stubbornness

cost of materials (once you start, you will start using all forms of material, in multiple thicknesses... it never will end)

you have PB moulds, but only have the PM Checkmaker for CG moulds

you have GC moulds, but only have the PM Checkmaker for PB moulds

You know... once you are set up, I can't really think of a good reason not to, but the Time issue... a few extra steps

I guess it really comes down to how many boolits do you shoot?

OuchHot!
04-24-2012, 03:06 PM
One aspect of punch and form of your own checks is that you have no where near the control of the state of anneal of the material that you start with. This can have some impact on end use and require further experimentation. It's a hobby and that is one of the attractions to many of us. If you are after "quick", "cheap", and "tight tolerances"; the rule of thumb is "pick two".

RU shooter
04-24-2012, 04:10 PM
is there any reason to not GC all of my bullets?
Not really unless you just dont feel like it.Or your just that frugal to not want to waste them on plinker type loads

shdwlkr
04-24-2012, 05:24 PM
Yes one and only one really
You like the way your plain base bullet works in your firearm

gerrycan
04-25-2012, 05:38 PM
Not to hijack ,but
A pal asked me to make 500 x150 gr FP [Lee] I put on my own al. gc. He says they shoot well.
Next he asks for 500 with copper gc. but he can,t tell me why over the phone, *** ??
So why use a gc ? It goes well on gc. mold.
Gerry[ in Oz ]

Lead Fred
04-25-2012, 06:45 PM
GC GC boolits, plain base work very well with out GS with heavier castings that dont go over 1700fps.

I use more plain base 405gr than GC 350gr.