PDA

View Full Version : T/C Contender barrel question

steve-in-kville
04-08-2007, 09:30 PM
Maybe all this time I was under the wrong impression.... but a few years ago I purchased a new G2 pistol. I was told at the time that all the original Contender barrels would fit the new frames, but not vice-versa.

A few months ago I bought a slightly used contender barrel on ebay. When I tried to install it, the barrel would not close. It appears that the ejector makes contact with the face of the receiver.

Is there more to this than what I understand?

steve

versifier
04-08-2007, 09:53 PM
Steve,
The new G2 muzzleloader barrels will not work on the old frames, all others are supposed to be interchangable....but....quite a while back (before they started making them in stainless) T/C came out with a finish called IIRC Armaloy. Those barrels and frames would not interchange with the blued steel ones. Other than that, maybe someone got some dirt or grit into the working parts of your barrel. In that case, disassembly and a thorough cleaning should help.

steve-in-kville
04-09-2007, 12:01 AM
Hmmm... okay. Maybe there's something behind the ejector that keeps it from retracting the entire way. I think I'll take a closer look. Thanks for the reply.

steve

C A Plater
04-09-2007, 12:22 AM
The extractor should retract as you close the barrel in the frame. It gets cammed out as the action opens so it may look like the extractor is hanging up on something. It is more often the locking lugs are not engaging the recess in the frame that is the problem. Check the lugs to see that it is the split type of the newer ones. If not, contact T/C and see if they will send replacements. They used to do it for free but that was before S&W got them. If the lugs are split, it they may need a bit of fitting to get them to engage properly. You might try closing the action very sharply to see it the lugs will go in. Due to manufacturing tolerances, not every barrel is a good fit for every frame. I've got a frame that is too loose with one barrel but usually it the other way.

steve-in-kville
04-09-2007, 12:49 AM
Thanks for the reply. I might stop by my local gun shop and see what can be done. Seems like its something real obvious, but I just ain't seein' it!

steve

C A Plater
04-09-2007, 10:07 AM
I thought of one more thing to possibly save a trip to the gunsmith. You could try removing the extractor from the barrel and see if th action will close. It is held in with a little roll pin near mid point on the lug and just under the barrel. Easy to drift out and no springs to get lost unless you have the extremely rare automatic ejector. If it locks up then you know it is the extractor hanging up on something.

lovedogs
04-11-2007, 01:18 PM
Sometimes the locking lugs are a bit rough or over-size, too. I've seen some that needed the extra power springs sold by Bellm to lock them up solidly. And some need just a VERY LITTLE honing so they'll slip into place and lock up good. You can get lots of useful info at Bellm's site and Mike is good about answering Contender questions, too.

7br
04-14-2007, 10:04 PM
Sorry, posted on wrong thread

steve-in-kville
04-15-2007, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the many replies. I'm gonna drop by my local shop and see what he has to say. I hesitate to start playing with a gun when I don't know what I'm doing 100%.

steve