PDA

View Full Version : bullet seating depth

lead chucker
04-23-2012, 03:08 PM
I have a 308 win and would like to know if seating a bullet just below the neck would adversely affect accuracy it's a 311299. I had the forward driving band extended because I had feeding issues having to seat the bullet too far out to touch the rifling. Now I'm thinking I might have had the driving band extended I little too far and now have to seat the bullet deeper than I would like. Could seat the bullet out a little further but then I would really be engaging the rifling. I have tried several loads but nothing to get excited about that's for sure. Any info would be great. I have been using Dacron filler so I'm not worked about the gas check or powder sticking to the lube.

Maven
04-23-2012, 03:23 PM
lead chucker, I routinely seated long, heavy CB's well below the short necks of my 7.5 x 55mm for my K-31's with no discernable reduction in accuracy. (The .308Win. is ~51mm long by comparison.) That's also true of my 7.65 x 53mm Arg. Mau. and .243Win. The idea that a CB seated below the case neck will somehow be forced off center upon firing and thus reduce accuracy, is possible, but not probable in my view.

303Guy
04-23-2012, 03:31 PM
It's about base riveting within the case. If the pressure is low enough or powder slow enough and the boolit hard enough it should be fine. I've found that Dacron filler protects the base some.

lead chucker
04-23-2012, 04:08 PM
Thanks for that info. It makes me feel a bit more comfortable doing this.

runfiverun
04-23-2012, 05:37 PM
i seat mine as long as i can.
in my 98/11 the nose engages the rifling then deep seats the boolit when i lock the bolt.
i keep the loads a bit lower in that rifle but it is sure accurate that way.

lead chucker
04-23-2012, 06:14 PM
Runfiverun I was testing seating depths and my rifle was doing that and had one bullet stick in the barrel I would like to avoid that. Meaning Closing the bolt And having the bullet push further in the case and then hanging up in the barrel.

onesonek
04-23-2012, 07:47 PM
Runfiverun I was testing seating depths and my rifle was doing that and had one bullet stick in the barrel I would like to avoid that. Meaning Closing the bolt And having the bullet push further in the case and then hanging up in the barrel.

I do the same as Rfr, by camming the load into the lands abit. Yes in most, the boolit will lodge like you say.
The solution is not to chamber a round until I know I'm going to shoot.

lead chucker
04-23-2012, 08:14 PM
But if hunting and you don't shoot any thing when you are done I suppose you can fire the round or see if it comes out intact. A guy wouldn't want to put him self in a compromising situation in bear country.

runfiverun
04-24-2012, 12:23 AM
you definately don't want it wedged in there.
with some powders that will increase pressures a lot, then you could have other problems.

you can make the nose slightly smaller [as well as the body] by adding lead to the alloy then waterdropping it to get the hardness back.
i try to give each gun what it wants as much as possible and keep a notebook on it with info with load,alloy and boolit measurements.
in the above example [post #5] that rifle does not get shot much, so one 20 lb run of alloy for it will last me 20 years.
there are other way's around it too.
neck tension,crimp, or alloy change
for instance i use a 4/6/90 alloy for by 2 bolt action 308's with the rcbs 165 silhouette boolit.
why? the alloy pours a nice @.301 nose and a .311 body that i size to just under .310.
but that same boolit from ww's with tin [waterdropped] makes the nose just at .300 which my model 95/ 30-40 krag likes best.
or you could maybe get buckshot to make a nose sizing die if his lathe is repaired.

lead chucker
04-24-2012, 04:09 AM
Rfr the nose is fine. I had the forward driving band extended so it would engage the rifling with out having the bullet seated out so far. Too long and the cartridge would not feed out of the magazine. But I think I had the driving band extended a bit too much so now I have to seat the bullet deeper. It looks like the gas check is just at the bottom of the neck.

excess650
04-24-2012, 06:41 AM
Rfr the nose is fine. I had the forward driving band extended so it would engage the rifling with out having the bullet seated out so far. Too long and the cartridge would not feed out of the magazine. But I think I had the driving band extended a bit too much so now I have to seat the bullet deeper. It looks like the gas check is just at the bottom of the neck.

Ideally the GC should be in the neck. I like to load my rounds to slightly engage, but not so much as to prevent chambered rounds from being extracted and leaving the boolit in the leade.

Larry Gibson
04-24-2012, 10:27 AM
would like to know if seating a bullet just below the neck would adversely affect accuracy

As already mentioned it all depends on alloy used, powder used, filler used, GC used, pressure level, etc. Only way to know is to try. As a rule I try to keep at least the top of the GC in the case neck with most all loads.

Larry Gibson

runfiverun
04-24-2012, 01:46 PM
you'll be fine right there.
the little bit of g/c is no big deal,i would partially size the neck to make the transition smoother though.
but that's just me.