PDA

View Full Version : I fixed running out of coleman fuel while casting!

Lance Boyle
04-22-2012, 10:35 PM
I picked up a RCBS promelt today, as new, never been heated,.....$250 at the gunshow. I thought they ran more than $300 and when I looked it up on the tricorder phone I was right.

I shall not run out of gas again!

Now here's a quick question. Is it ok to leave the pot full and shut her down until next time? I can't see what it'd hurt but firgured I'd ask. The RCBS directions (PDF online) didn't say one way or the other.

thanks in advance

VHoward
04-22-2012, 11:07 PM
I leave lead in mine all the time. I don't think it matters.

Kskybroom
04-22-2012, 11:51 PM
I leave mine 1/4 Full (Then)
I can change alloys
Pre heat ingots (Faster melt)
Scrap sides
Spout dont get banged
IMOP Could be Wrong ....

LUBEDUDE
04-23-2012, 12:01 AM
Doesn't matter, just remember your mix- if so.

Enjoy!

Lance Boyle
04-23-2012, 08:43 AM
Oh, my mix is easy for the moment. I only have one batch of WW alloy. I did one batch with about 1% tin solder added to see if I could fill out one mold better and found I had a mold issue more than an alloy issue.

At $9.95 a gallon for Coleman fuel and using a cup or 2 of fuel per session I didn't like the numbers and it seemed like I was really pushing the campstove to get to the temps.

thanks vis a vis the leaving the lead sittin in the pot. I still can't believe I got a new pot for about a $100 off. I went to the gunshow looking for casting molds and doo dads. Dummy me the same guy had some star lubrisizers I should have taken a better look at.

Jim
04-23-2012, 09:12 AM
I refill my pot when I'm done and shut it down.

Lance Boyle
04-23-2012, 09:19 AM
Jim, that's not a bad idea at all.

Sinking a handful of ingots would drop the temp quicker so I can put it away sooner, not to mention avoid the air gaps that limit the heat transfer on the next melt. Would remelt faster I would think with out the air gaps of the pile of fresh ingots on top.

I like it. :bigsmyl2:

45-70 Chevroner
04-23-2012, 09:25 AM
I refill my pot when I'm done and shut it down.

+ 1 for Jim. I always refill before shutting down.

D Crockett
04-23-2012, 09:45 AM
I have had lead in mine for about 10 years now except when I clean it out and here is a trick that will help you clean it out take a hacksaw blade put it on you stove and turn the last inch and 1/2 red hot then bend it to a 90deg. with a pair of plyers use this to scrape the sides and bottom with D Crockett

Lance Boyle
04-23-2012, 09:14 PM
Nice trick on the hacksaw blade.

Reminds me of the time I redid the end of my lawn mower's recoil starter spring. Dumb thing was designed to break with a hole near the bend at the end. Durned them penny thieving engineered failure by design accountin bums! I heated it up to remove the temper and bent a new catch hook. Still running to this day.