PDA

View Full Version : Bearcat vs Single Six

shooting on a shoestring
04-22-2012, 10:30 PM
I've been the proud owner of a Single Six convertable for most of my life. I've looked at a couple of Bearcats from time to time and wonder if they are tools or toy.

I'll not be getting rid of my Single Six, and probably don't need any other .22 revovler. Just curious if the Bearcats really work, do they shoot in the same ballpark as the typical Single Six?

2ndAmendmentNut
04-22-2012, 10:40 PM
A close friend of mine has both and together we have burned up 1000s of rounds of 22s with them. The bearcat is smaller and better suited to a woman's or child's hand but they do shoot well. Also all the Bearcats I have seen have fixed sights which work fine but some brands of ammo would group to the left or right of the point of aim. Personally I find adjustable sights much easier to aim, and the larger grip of the single six is better for my hands, but the bearcat is a good little revolver.

Matthew 25
04-22-2012, 10:57 PM
I think they're neat, too. But, dang they're kinda pricey. Whenever I find one I look at it and think, "couldn't I spend this $450 somewhere smarter?"

ElDorado
04-23-2012, 12:10 AM
I have a blue single six built in 1980. It has a nice trigger and it's very accurate with 22 LR. I recently bought a stainless Bearcat. It doesn't have as nice a trigger as the single six, and there is a little more cylinder wobble at lock-up. As someone has already pointed out, it also has fixed sights.

With all that said, I must admit that I still like the darn thing. I haven't put a lot of ammo through it yet, maybe 200 rounds. It's not as accurate as the single-six, but I use it for plinking and it's fine for that. It's small, too, but I still find it comfortable in my bear paws. I get a kick out of shooting it.

So to answer your question, I don't believe it is quite in the same class as the single-six. If you are looking for a good hunting revolver, there are better choices. If you just want to have fun shooting, or to have a light trail gun, they're ok.

Jeff

Lloyd Smale
04-23-2012, 04:51 AM
Ive got two bearcats that i keep for my grandkids to shoot. There even handy because they fit so nice in your front pocket for bumming in the woods. Both of those bearcats will shoot better groups then any single six ive owned. Biggest problem with them is they come with such terrible trigger pulls that even an adult will struggle with them. A kid has no chance to shoot them well with an 8lb trigger. Get the trigger down to 2 or 3 lbs and they are tack driving little guns.

MJR007
04-23-2012, 06:28 AM
I have a SS Bearcat and all three of my kids learned to shoot with it. I have no idea how many bricks have gone though it, a lot. The gun now has a home in my fishing box and brings a smile to my face every time I see it.

Bret4207
04-23-2012, 08:12 AM
I'm not a SA fan, but if I ever come across a Bearcat I can afford I'd buy it. Shooting friends BC proved a delight, I really liked it. His SS OTOH was a very poor grouper with any ammo we had. His was the Convertible model, not sure if that's why.

jmsj
04-23-2012, 09:07 AM
I learned to shoot a handgun using a Single-Six. My father still has it and won't sell or trade it to me. For years I carried a Bearcat daily in a chap pocket.
The sights on the Single Six are easier to see and the gun fits my hand better than the Bearcat. I agree with Lloyd about the trigger on the Bearcat. I did a trigger job on the gun and lowered the pull and got rid of the creep but couldn't get rid of the huge amount of overtravel.
As to which is more accurate, back when I could see iron sights I think the Bearcat might have been more accurate when shooting .22 lr. I don't have the Single-Six anymore but I remember it being more accurate when shooting .22 Magnum shells versus .22 lr's. My Bearcat seems to shoot Winchester 40 grain Power Points better than anything.
The only way I will let my Bearcat go is when I pass it down to one of my kids. The Bearcat is what I used to start my daughter on pistols and I imagine it is what I'll use when it is time to start my son shooting pistols. This Bearcat has accompanied me to the top of the White's peak range, out on the sandy flats of Northeastern New Mexico and down into the canyons near the Colorado/Oklahoma/ New Mexico border. I have carried it in the rain, snow, heat and dust and it has never failed me. So I guess I'm a little partial to the Bearcat.
Good luck, jmsj

Naphtali
04-23-2012, 11:37 AM
I've been the proud owner of a Single Six convertable for most of my life. I've looked at a couple of Bearcats from time to time and wonder if they are tools or toy.

I'll not be getting rid of my Single Six, and probably don't need any other .22 revovler. Just curious if the Bearcats really work, do they shoot in the same ballpark as the typical Single Six?

1. Although they are 6-shot revolvers, currently made Bearcats function identically (so far as a new shooter is concerned) with Freedom Arms Model 97s. Were you to own 97s, it is a wonderful practice tool and/or teaching tool.

2. Bearcat triggers are significantly offset to the left. This makes trigger action comfortable for right-handed shooters and very inconvenient for lefties.

3. The stainless Bearcat I have is tightly assembled, perhaps 90-95 percent of the quality of assembly of my Freedom Arms revolvers. This surprised the heck out of me.
Unfortunately, I am left-handed and find Bearcat's shooting experience less than I prefer. So mine just sits in the safe.

Hope this helps.

lathesmith
04-23-2012, 07:45 PM
I learned to shoot using my Dad's Bearcat as a kid, I dearly loved that gun. Since that one is long gone, I got a SS Bearcat a few years ago and I like it alot. I made up a nice flap holster for it, just like Dad had for his old gun, and it's much more convenient to carry than my Single six was. The one I have has a pretty decent trigger, it's not target grade or anything, but it allows you to shoot the gun pretty well. As others have said, the Single Six definitely has better sights, at least the adjustable models, but the triggers are probably about the same.

The one thing Ruger could do to the Bear kitty to make it better would be to offer the Mag cylinder again. Probably just a pipe-dream though....

lathesmith

shooting on a shoestring
04-24-2012, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the input. Seems it goes as tool not toy. I have no faults with my Single Six, and really do enjoy the fit. I wish I had a .38 spl with that grip frame/trigger relation.
As for single action triggers, I expect to tune every one I own, sorta of like a guitar. Its just something you do before it goes to the range the first time.
I'll keep an eye out for a Bear Cat. I'm in the stage in life where I have my guns needs met and am working on wants now.