PDA

View Full Version : Reno Gun Show

TimB
04-08-2007, 06:09 PM
Anyone going to the Reno Big Show this weekend and want to get together for lunch? I need to see Ammohead and get his mould back to him.

TimB

Urny
04-08-2007, 07:16 PM
Hi Tim. A friend and I plan to drive down for the Saturday show, probably will meet up with NVCurmudgeon at the front door. We sometimes have lunch at the hamburger place, Johny Rockets maybe, around one or so. Want to meet there?

9.3X62AL
04-08-2007, 11:04 PM
Barring the unforeseen--I'll be there Saturday, arriving with NVCurmudgeon. I'm debating whether to drag along some trade bait, or to just bring cash to buy powder & primers. I'm looking forward to seeing y'all!

NVcurmudgeon
04-09-2007, 02:36 AM
Haven't heard from ammohead, but rumor has it that he might get stuck with the weekend duty at his new job. BruceB can't make it. If TimB is there, I'm sure we'll run into Brazos. I ran into B Doyle at the Carson range Friday, and he said he might show up. I'll be there Saturday with Deputy Al. Lunch at Johnny Rocket sounds good to me. One of the nicest things about being an American is access to good hamburgers.

TimB
04-09-2007, 03:01 PM
The 1 o'clock at the hamburger place sounds good. LoriB and Brazos should also be there. Look forward to seeing you there.

TimB

onceabull
04-09-2007, 09:05 PM
I have to tell you that all this talking up the BRGS has me in a blue funk..How can a poor. tired,fixed income, Idaho old fart compete with the big money crowd at those Reno Gatherings.!! BAH.:twisted: (You all have fun) onceabull

Urny
04-09-2007, 11:33 PM
NVCurmudg, I have to be home from work tomorrow to deal with an identity theft issue. If you are going to be home, I'll give you a call.

NVcurmudgeon
04-10-2007, 02:03 AM
Urny, please phone early because tomorrow is my range day this week. Otherwise, let me phone you around 3:00 PM.

Urny
04-10-2007, 09:31 AM
Early I will be working to minimize the damage, so let's make it the afternoon. Tuesday at the range? Sounds familiar somehow. I'm really looking forward to this show.

PatMarlin
04-10-2007, 10:49 AM
How long does it take you to drive ther Al? You guys stay for the weekend?

I would like to go but I kinda broke the fuel bank on the my So Cal trip.

obssd1958
04-11-2007, 12:32 AM
Onceabull,

We'll just have to consign ourselves to attending the little "Fort Boise Gun Show". Even with the current goings'on, I couldn't miss it!!
Will you be there this weekend??

I think I will bring my MN and a picture of the Dillon sl900, and see if I can go home with more money than I get there with for once...[smilie=1:

Hope to see you there!

Don

9.3X62AL
04-11-2007, 12:41 AM
Pat--

Reno is 470 miles from me, about 7 hours driving. I'm going to prospect around for rockchucks, jacks, and rats on the way home, so it's not all about buying primers or selling war toys.

Urny
04-14-2007, 06:20 AM
Leaving in about 45 minutes. Wahoo. Only 310 miles from my front door to the the Gun Show Palace in Reno.

Urny
04-15-2007, 10:01 AM
Well. The gun show can be rated a success. Met friends of some years standing including NVCurmudgeon, who hosts most things Reno, Deputy Al, Ammohead, and TimB and Lori. I was able to introduce my friend Mike to them, met a couple of their Cowboy shooting friends, and I think Lori has managed to convince Mike that he wants to try the Cowboy shooting. That is quite an accomplishment given Mike's focus on defensive handgun use. I'm working on him to take up handloading.

No guns bought this time, but Mike got some Wilson magazines and a set of USMC laser cut fake ivory grips. Very nice, may be a set of US Army grips for me in the future. For me, there were books including A Study of Colt's New Army and Navy Pattern Double Action Revolvers 1889 to 1908, by Robert Best, which he was kind enough to autograph. Some little things and the meat of the deal, I got four bullet moulds at one table. A Herter's 28125, a round nose GC design, a really old Ideal 36-2-160 pointy RNPB, very small block with integral handles, and two Belding and Mull moulds. One was a 311170 spitzer, but the gas check base has been cut out into an oversize and very long plain base. There is also a hole drilled for a hollow point pin, but no pin or way of attaching it. The other is a 312114 bevel base rn, that looks like a fine 32-20 or 30 Carbine boolit. Handles for all with the Herter's mould having H&G handles. The B&M handles might be original to them. All are single cavity.

We had to leave early to be back in Elko County, missed the closing dinner and don't know about everyone elses treasures. BRGS and the friends we meet there are always a treat, I wish LINDA could have been there this time, and sure missed BruceB not being there.

Forgot to add the two scopes, a Redfield 4X with post, and Weaver K4 with dot reticle. Both US made and very nice. 40 bux for the pair.

onceabull
04-15-2007, 12:04 PM
Urny:Some fine catches there,and while in good company,too.!! Congrats..:mrgreen: Onceabull

NVcurmudgeon
04-15-2007, 02:06 PM
Deputy Al just headed for Sunny SoCal. He was looking for consumables which are hard to get and expensive in California. Between the show and three of Reno's better gun shops he was able to fill his needs. I only made two purchases but both of them are important. First was a Sunday go to meeting belt. Naturally, nobody stocks belts to fit my second baseman's body, and I need, not only a small size, but an in-between one as well. I ordered a made-to-measure belt from Ted Blocker of Tigard, OR and one of his holster catalogues as well. I've seen samples of Mr. Blocker's work and it is excellent. Did I mention that nobody stocks holsters for me, either? I'm getting a little impatient with the leading nylon holster maker's products being reluctant to release my pistol in a timely manner, so there is likely to be one of Mr. Blocker's custom LH holsters in my future. Next stop was at one of the miscellaneous tables where I picked up a .22 Hornet shellholder. Now I have the scope, mount, dies, and shellholder for my new .22 Hornet. All I need now is the rifle! "It only makes sense to buy another rifle, Fran, so I can make use of all the other stuff I'm stuck with." After oohing and aahing at tables full of goodies, Deputy Al and I met Nevada Duke at Murrieta's Cantina for a fine Mexican dinner. One sad note is that Mike Luft, AKA "the mould guy," no longer makes the show with his large table full of moulds, GC, presses, dies, etc. Mr. Luft now sells on E Bay. All in all, a day of realizing some of my wishboook dreams, good food and drink, the company of more than a half dozen good friends and boolit casters, and the anticipation of the NEXT show.