PDA

View Full Version : My First Paper Patch Loads

Haggway
04-22-2012, 12:27 PM
Well I have to say it went way better than I had expected.
There is alot of room for improvement, but for my first atempt I think it was rather good.

http://s1142.photobucket.com/albums/n610/haggway/?action=view&current=IMG_0533.jpg

I have to thank everyone on here that I bugged so much for information.

http://s1142.photobucket.com/albums/n610/haggway/?action=view&current=IMG_0533.jpg

Oh yeah, I pulled that second shot.

Hardcast416taylor
04-22-2012, 01:07 PM
Once this addiction gets ahold of you there seems to be no cure for it. Nice start off group.Robert

Goatwhiskers
04-22-2012, 01:16 PM
Looking good! My thought is you might need to do some forend work for that vertical stringing. Goat

Haggway
04-22-2012, 02:05 PM
Looking good! My thought is you might need to do some forend work for that vertical stringing. Goat

Yeah, I saw that, and thought the same thing. It groups fine with leverrevolution.

Haggway
04-22-2012, 02:15 PM
Once this addiction gets ahold of you there seems to be no cure for it. Nice start off group.Robert

I got back into reloading about this time last year. Then a friend gave me some cast 311299 to try out in a couple of rifles. Thats when I found out how bad I can get addicted to somthing. Its been slow going in getting set up for casting. And I have gotten lots of practice rolling paper, trying to figure out what works for me. :veryconfu

goofyoldfart
04-22-2012, 05:02 PM
Haggway-----Don't give up on it. you'll do OK. as you can see, VERRRRY VERRRY, addictive. :)

303Guy
04-23-2012, 12:04 AM
:2_high5:

I wouldn't call that vertical stringing, I'd call it climbing for some reason. Barrel heating perhaps but why only with paper patched? Barrel smoothing out or cleaning out with each shot? I wouldn't change or touch anything. Just see if it stabilizes or try letting the barrel cool completely between shots and see if it makes a difference. Cooling should tell for sure.

That said, it looks like a pretty darn accurate load right there!:drinks:
Now would you mind telling us how you did it (to help us along)?:roll:
We need details. It's all in the details. :Fire:

nanuk
04-23-2012, 01:36 AM
and Pictures

We LOVE pictures

303Guy
04-23-2012, 02:01 AM
On Photobucket, if one holds the mouse pointer on the picture long enough, a drop down menu appears under it. Click directly on, "IMG CODE" and "copied" appears in the box next to it. Paste that directly into your post. I discovered that by accident!:roll:

So, when can we expect more pictures? [smilie=1:

Haggway
04-23-2012, 10:49 PM
:2_high5:

I wouldn't call that vertical stringing, I'd call it climbing for some reason. Barrel heating perhaps but why only with paper patched? Barrel smoothing out or cleaning out with each shot? I wouldn't change or touch anything. Just see if it stabilizes or try letting the barrel cool completely between shots and see if it makes a difference. Cooling should tell for sure.

That said, it looks like a pretty darn accurate load right there!:drinks:
Now would you mind telling us how you did it (to help us along)?:roll:
We need details. It's all in the details. :Fire:

It was just 5 quick shots. I just wanted to get out and see if they would shoot.
The boolit is a 300 grn sized to .457 after patching.
The load is 26 grains of SR4750, from the latest lyman book.
I'm not sure when I will be able to get back to the range, but I will make an update when I do.
Here is the rifle. Ruger single shots are another addiction.
http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n610/haggway/IMG_6398.jpg

bigted
04-24-2012, 12:25 AM
not ussually a fan of the laminets but on that #3 it sure looks good....or is it a #1 with a #3 lever....... welcome to the paper addiction...

Swede44mag
04-24-2012, 12:07 PM
I have a LeverEveloution but have been looking at the Ruger Single shots in 45-70.
What is the difference between a Ruger #1 (have seen at several gun shows) and the other versions. I am more of a scope person can't see the sights worth a hoot anymore.

bigted
04-27-2012, 12:59 PM
ruger #1 versus what other versions? other makes of singleshots or versions of the ruger?

the ruger is probably one of the strongest singleshot rifles on the market. made so with the firing pin hole below the line of site to your face in case of a primer failure thru the pin hole. other makes are just as strong i would recon but with the exposed hammer and resultant pin channel they have the capability to blow a burst primer back thru the pin hole rite at your face...dosnt seem likey but there is a possibility with most others then the ruger #1 or the #3 rifle. also like you pointed out...the scope mounting ease is the best system...[in my eyes]... on the market. also for a big galute like myself the length of pull is better suited for a longarmed feller like me and the ease of lengthening it with a well suited and attractive add-on is easier to acomplish.

the ruger has some downfalls as well but ill let someone else that has experience with the bad side of the rugers comment on this.