PDA

View Full Version : Question about reloading equipment purchases

HiVelocity
04-21-2012, 09:42 PM
Just curious; are there any forum [dealer] members, to your knowledge, that offer any "member discounts" on reloading equipment, accessories? I just did a search on a couple Lee dies and accessories and, it appears, that I haven't bought dies in quite awhile. I had no idea what they now cost. I didn't realize I'd have to find a co-signer!

Ex: Lee 9mm carbide 4 die set; .223 3 die set; and 1 223 FCD. With shipping and handling, the order was $87.00

Any suggestions, recommendations? (Other than borrow from other members?)

Just my $.02 worth,

HV [smilie=b:

seagiant
04-21-2012, 10:06 PM
Hi,
Interesting! Here is my take. A couple of years ago a RCBS mold was about $45! Now they are about $75. Ok a guy 20 years ago bought a mold for $45 and used it 20 years making 1000"s of bullets and then sales it for $50 because hey,the same mold is now $75 and it's woth $50!!! The same goes with a set of carbide dies same story! To me reloading gear is a great bargain all the way around!

Roundnoser
04-21-2012, 10:08 PM
Would you consider used equipment? If so, you could always start a WTB thread with the items you are looking for. They might be used, but I'm sure it would be in good shape and likely last many years. Cost you alot less than new.

If looking for new items (Lee), I think Midsouth Shooters Supply has good prices. Not sure how other businesses compare.

HiVelocity
04-22-2012, 01:30 AM
I thought my post would be a great opportunity for one of our (dealer) forum members to jump in. I guess I was wrong.

Looks like the best deal all the way around is to check the "Buy/Sell" section on this forum more than three times a day; funny, I've seen things that sold in less than 15 minutes.

Just food for thought, thanks!

HV

tenx
04-22-2012, 02:08 AM
just a suggestion but google a "site + cupons (rewards, discounts, etc.)" and see what happens. Got $10 off on Midway (almost paid for shipping) on a $100 order, they give you a code that translates to a discount when they process the order. Only tried it once but it worked, worth a try.

starmac
04-22-2012, 03:04 AM
There is a member here that runs some specials on lee dies pretty regular in the swap and sell section.

Lead Fred
04-22-2012, 06:52 AM
Go to Cabella's online, midsouth, midway or a bunch of other sites and comparison shop

Jack Stanley
04-22-2012, 08:45 AM
Having something sell in fifteen minutes is good , but if you really want to see movement of a product ..... watch when a Star lube-sizer gets posted on a saturday afternoon at a "cleaning-out-the-garage" price . Another fun one to watch is inexpensive gas checks . I don't know what the record is but I think a Star sold in less than two minutes once .

A want to buy thread may help you some , I know I was able to help a guy that needed a part once .

Jack

Throckmorton
04-22-2012, 12:01 PM
check Craigslist in your area,lots of reloading stuff in our area on there.buying local saves shipping,and u get to look it over 1st. I buy used wheneer possible.Most gear u only buy once,and it pays for its's self.
shipping on internet loading and gunstuff just suz !! 14 bucks for a 5 dollar item that I KNOW will fit in a 6 buck flat rate box. I try to buy from private parties if at all possible.

joec
04-22-2012, 12:27 PM
I bought my basic setup consisting of 2 Lee Pro 1000 with 4 different die complete with full shell plate carriers and Lee Auto Disks/ Lee Pro Powder setups. As well as 2 scales one beam and one electronic with a tumbler. I also got a lot of other basic tools such as bullet pullers, universal decapping die, shell plate set, and a Lee Reloader single stage press. As a package deal for me buying it all he thru in a few thousand primers both LPP, SPP, 1000 45 Brass, cast bullets for both 45 Colt and 9mm Luger. Last but not least was 3 lbs of different powders unopened for $350 total. I just waited till I saw someone offering it as I really wasn't looking hard but had considered doing it for years.

Now as for the cheapest place I've found it would be https://fsreloading.com/ who is also very fair on shipping and fast to boot.

fryboy
04-22-2012, 12:59 PM
first off ... you may figure shipping and handling into the price when ordering but not in value per say ( ie; it isnt worth anymore because you had it mailed to you than if you picked it up yourself at the store- and in that light shipping and handling may actually be less than the gas and time to drive somewhere and buy it ) second .. even lee will tell you to buy it from a stocking dealer as it will be cheaper . third ... prices , especially retail will never drop , raise yes go down no sir , i suggest comparing prices at several places including factory sales ( http://www.factorysales.com/ ) as well as various other places such as graf's, midway , titan reloading etc et;al
as for members who are dealers .... hmmmm we have at least one that i know of but i havent seen any post from him in a couple of weeks
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?u=9970
and i believe ch-4d offers a discount of some kind for members but i'm not exactly sure how that works or if we have to go thru another member to do so ( there's a thread somewhere about it )
and in actuality 87 bucks for 2 special die sets ( the 4 die pistol and the 3 die deluxe 223 set ) isnt bad - even before you throw in the factory crimp die and s&h - compare the same die sets from other manufacturers for another reality check if you dont believe me

W.R.Buchanan
04-22-2012, 02:24 PM
The good thing about used reloading products is that they usually are made from metal. Dies are steel, presses are Cast iron or aluminum.

Steel parts that are rusty can be wirebrushed or ran under a scothbrite fuzz wheel. Cast parts can be beadblasted or wire brushed and repainted making a virtually new tool. Parts that are steel and black oxided can be brought back with BC gun blue.

Very seldom will you find a reloading tool that is worn out. Most just look bad because they haven't been taken care of.

I bought a Hornady DL366 for $150. It had sat in a garage for 20 years. 4 hours after it got home it looked new and I could sell it for $350-400.

You guys need to start watching the show on the History Channel called American Restoration

It will give you ideas on how you can restore tools and other stuff to new, like new, or better than new condition.

Quite a few of the guys here redo presses and various other reloading tools. I've seen some really nice work.

Cans of spray paint come in every color imagineable.

This stuff just isn't that hard to do. Operating a wire brush and a spraycan of paint takes some skill,,, but not much,,, and those skills are certainly within the grasp of most anyone with a brain.

The biggest thing you have to conquer is "knowing when to quit."

Randy

LUBEDUDE
04-22-2012, 02:33 PM
Just curious; are there any forum [dealer] members, to your knowledge, that offer any "member discounts" on reloading equipment, accessories? I just did a search on a couple Lee dies and accessories and, it appears, that I haven't bought dies in quite awhile. I had no idea what they now cost. I didn't realize I'd have to find a co-signer!

Ex: Lee 9mm carbide 4 die set; .223 3 die set; and 1 223 FCD. With shipping and handling, the order was $87.00

Any suggestions, recommendations? (Other than borrow from other members?)

Just my $.02 worth,

HV [smilie=b:

In my opinion that's a fair amount of equipment shipped for $87.

I 'd say a good value.

Ickisrulz
04-22-2012, 03:02 PM
BTsniper can get you 10% off CH4d products.

Walt
04-22-2012, 03:20 PM
I thought my post would be a great opportunity for one of our (dealer) forum members to jump in. I guess I was wrong.

Looks like the best deal all the way around is to check the "Buy/Sell" section on this forum more than three times a day; funny, I've seen things that sold in less than 15 minutes.

Just food for thought, thanks!

HV

Hey HV,
PM sent about Lee 9mm dies for sale.
Walt

jimkim
04-22-2012, 03:34 PM
I'd keep my eyes open for some used sets, or post something in the "want to buy" section. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47 The people here are of top shelf quality, and I'm pretty sure you would get a reply in short order.

If someone already suggested this I apologize.

bumpo628
04-22-2012, 06:08 PM
These MidwayUSA codes expire today

To receive your Savings:
1. Add regular price, in-stock products to your cart totaling:
$100 or more - Use Promotion Code 1041277
$200 or more - Use Promotion Code 2041277
$300 or more - Use Promotion Code 3041277
$500 or more - Use Promotion Code 5041277

2. Enter the promotion code into the box titled, "Promotion Code" on the shopping cart page.

3. See the discount applied on the Confirmation page near the end of the checkout.

Offer expires at 11:59 p.m. CT on April 22, 2012. Hurry!

slim400
04-22-2012, 06:14 PM
I don't know if you are looking for progressive for a single stage you can purchase and we anniversary kit from Midway reasonable money if you are looking for progressive in my opinion DILLON it's the only way to go considerably more expensive you also might try craigslist occasionally you will find reloading on their and of course eBay always has reloading equipment you can watch the form to see what somebody has been WTB is not a bad idea

slim400

Skipper488
04-22-2012, 06:38 PM
Be sure to check Graff and Sons. They charge a flat $5 handling fee and no shipping charges.